Another disturbing experience with VW customer care

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Sam G, Dec 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sam G

Sam G New Member

So, I'm getting a non-deletable "License Expired. no emerg calls w/o 2G/3G service" warning. It is quite disturbing that this warning has been not taken care of for such a long time, but what's even more disturbing is my dialog when I contacted VW customer service. It welt like this:

Me: I have this warning message that keeps popping up
    CS: Can you confirm your best contact number, full postal mailing address, and your VIN?
    Me: [gave info]
    CS: Thank you for your patience. I reviewed this with my ID.4 team to see if it is normal for the pop up to persist, and they informed me that you will need to reach out to our friends at Car-Net to have this message stop. Car-Net/Bosch can be reached directly at 833-648-2735, they should be able to assist.
    Me: Why are you sending me to third parties? I bought it from VW, you designed, built and sold the car. I did not buy it from Car-Net. It's your vendor, you call them
    CS: No, you call them. You will need to provide your Car-Net contact information, which I do not have access to.
    Me: You literally just asked me for contact information
    CS: Can't help you. Call Car-Net/Bosch​

And then the conversation started going in circles as to who must call Car-Net.

WTF is going on with VW? That is the second time I am contacting customer service to help with the car, and they don't help, but instead instruct me to go somewhere else. I have never seen such an abominable customer service. I have been mostly Toyota guy before this car, and I'm yet to see a single case when you contact Toyota with some request, and they don't try to resolve it for you, and send you to some third party which I have no relationship with. Is that normal? I bought a freaking expensive vehicle from these folks, and they don't even bother addressing the issue?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SueMC

SueMC New Member

When you say you are talking with VW customer service, is this corporate or is it the dealership who sold you the car?

4. Sam G

Sam G New Member

Corporate (via chat). Dealer is useless. They have no idea how the car works. but it seems that corporate isn't far from that either.

5. SueMC

SueMC New Member

So I have discussed the dash warnings that pop up with my dealership. They say the warning has to be on at the time you bring the car for service in order for them to troubleshoot it. The warnings I get never last for long but if one stayed put I'd take it in for service. Meanwhile the long awaited software update is supposed to take care of these annoyances. Anyone care to place bets if it will be available by year end (as stated in the Corporate email we received a few weeks back).

6. Sam G

Sam G New Member

I have it all the time. And if I delete it, warning would come back. I have no doubt I could demonstrate it to dealership, like many other people did, since I called bosch car-net and the rep confirmed it is a known issue and they plan to fix it.

Problem is not in that

Problem is that when you sell something, you are responsible for it. Not your vendor, not your dealer, not your uncle. People think that VW is a reputable car manufacturer, which would take care of you if they **** up. And they don't! How hard it is to disable one stupid warning? If that was Tesla and the crap was not fixed next monthly release, Musk would fire half of the staff. It's just a complete disregard to a customer. Within my family we now call this car 'Lada' as in russian clunker which barely drives and requires constant attention or it won't start. Problem is that ID.4 is sold for $50K+, somewhat in pricey category. If I wanted lada, I could have gotten leaf or bolt for much cheaper

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Hemba

Hemba New Member

The long list of people who have had software problems with their ID4 grows day by day together with customer service complaints. I have no doubt there will be some kind of class action lawsuit coming in the next year from ID4 owners. In the meantime I’ve canceled my order and opting for the Hyundai Ioniq.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

you are wrong about Lada!

[​IMG]

electriceddy likes this.
  10. Stephen W Hendricks

Stephen W Hendricks New Member

This error is caused by part of the Carnet System trying to contact it's servers on either Cellular 2G or 3G. I believe this is part of the Bosch Carnet system.

A Carnet rep told me today that VW was working on getting this resolved. It occurred because the USA has reassigned the frequencies that were used for Cellular 2G and 3G for other uses.

11. Sam G

Sam G New Member

3G was turned off in what year, if you don't mind me asking?..

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Stephen W Hendricks

Stephen W Hendricks New Member

Verizon was the last to turn off 3G at the end of 2022.

14. Sam G

Sam G New Member

Here's announcement from fcc.

• AT&T announced that it phased out its 3G network beginning in February 2022.
    • Verizon announced that it will finish shutting down its 3G network by December 31, 2022.
    • T-Mobile announced that it finished shutting down Sprint's 3G CDMA network as of March 31, 2022 and Sprint's 4G LTE network as of June 30, 2022. It also announced it shut down T-Mobile's 3G UMTS network as of July 1, 2022, but has not yet announced a shutdown date for its 2G network

Which means that by the time my car was shipped and sold, all the networks were scheduled to have shut down 3g. And VW forgot to notify carnet?

And what's their excuse now, I'm not quite getting. They didn't get enough heads up because they don't talk to FCC? They got it now. Why am I still seeing the warning