Another Clarity review

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JCEV, Jul 25, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Just watched it. Pretty good overview in my opinion, though he did get a few things wrong.

Am I the only one who hardly even notices the wheel skirts any more?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

phevophile and ClarityDoc like this.
  4. FlaDave

FlaDave New Member

They don't bother me that much, but it seems like they could have made them less controversial by making the edges a little rounder. They are, however, how I quickly determine whether or not another Honda on the road is a Clarity (haven't seen another one yet in South Florida).

phevophile likes this.
  5. Tahuna

Tahuna Member

I rather like the wheel skirts.

One thing I've noticed, in all these reviews, I've never seen one that talks about some of the very obvious flaws that we've all seen. The range calculation doesn't work - something really basic that other cars have had right for a decade or more. The Sirius XM radio crashes if you use the remote climate control. The windshield wipers don't actually clear the windshield. And others have complained about the headlights, although I haven't noticed that one.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Clarity - and every car has some flaws. But people reading and watching these reviews are probably trying to decide between different cars, and I think they need to hear the bad along with the good.

rickyrsx likes this.
  6. rickyrsx

rickyrsx Active Member

I haven't had any problems with my wipers even though I read on the forum other people don't like them. I find them very effective but I haven't driven in hard rain yet. So your wipers don't work even in light rain?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

I find them fine even in a very heavy downpour. I have issue with salty roads and the wiper tank not being large enough.

9. Tahuna

Tahuna Member

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. We haven't had any rain since I bought the car, so I don't know about the wipers themselves. It's the washer that I have problems with. It doesn't get fluid over the whole windshield, so there are places that are dirty after I run the washer and wipers.

rickyrsx likes this.
  10. Viking79

Yes, the washer sucks. One of my largest complaints with the car. Unfortunately it is a design issue. Could maybe take it in and complain to make sure jets in blade are clear, etc. Small tank combined with not enough fluid means spots get missed and tank needs refilling constantly in winter (time of year it is used most here).

rickyrsx likes this.
  11. rickyrsx

rickyrsx Active Member

I see. I haven't even tried using the windshield washer yet. I'm still learning things about this car. ;)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I almost forget it's there.
    But one of the first questions my friend asked if the skirt is removable and if not, how to change the rear tire?
    I haven't really thought on that, but just told him when it's jacked up, the wheel should probably drop below the skirt... though I'm actually not sure.

14. Viking79

There is plenty of clearance to remove the rear wheel. It is a mini skirt.

Chooch, amy2421 and KentuckyKen like this.
  15. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

Like every other reviewer I've seen, this gentleman doesn't fully understand what the mode buttons do. That's entirely on Honda; they're hard to understand because they are.

Not sure why he thinks you have to press a button on the key fob to start charging.

In general, though, a well thought-out and coherently reported review. Not really useful for someone who already knows the car, but a good referral for friends who have questions.

16. Viking79

Just to add, the fact that this minor niggle is one of my largest complaints with the car speaks to how much I like the car ;)

17. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

FWIW to all y’all having substandard windshield wiping...
    Mine works on wet and dry windshields and puts the fluid on the whole length of the blade. It doesn’t leave any dry areas so I’m quite happy with it other than the fact that the reservoir is so small that in the winter time I’m having to fill it up a lot.
    You might want to check and see if some of your nozzles are clogged.

Disclaimer: I have RainXed the windshield to make it hydrophobic and add RainX to the wiper fluid. Above 35-40 mph, I don’t even have to use my wipers. The rain beads up and flies up and over my windshield. People are always amazed when they ride w me in the rain. You ought to try it

rickyrsx and Carro con enchufe like this.
  18. Carro con enchufe

Carro con enchufe Active Member

Likewise, I’m impressed with the wipers. Much better than my wife’s Mazda and my old Nissan

19. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Well-Known Member

I’ve been using the same RainX recipe just as Ken described on my card for years and it makes all difference in the world. I find I get more uniform coverage of the wiper cleaner spray if I use it when I am completely stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

20. Young J Kwak

Young J Kwak Member

I Second the RainX. In fact, I have mostly only been using their windshield wiper fluid for a year in the pilot with great results.

It is crazy how many people do NOT use at least the rainx wiper fluid on their cars. Instead, I see wipers going full blast on most 99% of cars when it rains.

21. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Active Member

Is it true that the Clarities have been sold in Japan for a few years? If it is true, it makes me feel better that they have some experience.

22. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The Clarity PHEV just went on sale in Japan for $52K. In addition to the Level 2 charging port we have, it includes a CHAdeMO charging port on the right-side fender.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  23. LAF

LAF Active Member

THE PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN THE WINDSHIELD IS DIRTY THERE IS NOT ENOUGH WATER TO CLEAN THEM AND IT LEAVES STREAKS