Annoying fan noise while high speed charging at 70kw+

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by naticom, Jul 3, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. naticom

naticom New Member

I am driving a 2020 Niro EV but as Kona EV is our sister car I would like to know if anyone experiences the same issue.

Niro EV is capable of receiving up to 77-78kw while using a fast charger, and lately my car keeps making non neglible disturbing noise while charging at 70kw+ so apprently the noise is from the cooling system.

Seeing is believing:

(engine compartment)

(from driver's seat)
    (you can hear rattling noise at some point)
    (this is how quiet it should be when charging below 50kw)

I've been to a nearby Kia dealer. They didn't even bother running diagnosis for my car, just bullshitting "If you charge at more than 50kw+ you will fry your batteries", and I'm like "???". Kia advertises the car being able to go from 0-80% within 54min at a 100kw charger (in fact it can stay at 77kw for around 10 min only), and now the mechanic's telling me it'll fry the batteries?

So I'm posting here to see if any Kona EV owner experiences the same issue, and I'd be super grateful if you can let me know exactly what parts went wrong?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

The fact that it's running fans and probably the A/C compressor and actively managing the situation
    is precisely why you *won't* fry your battery. Let the car do its thing.

_H*

BC-Doc, KiwiME and Danhen like this.
  4. Ya, it's totally normal behaviour as far as i know. My car does it all the time and not on high power chargers either. It rumbles away on my home charger too.

* Your phone footage does sound loud but I have to admit I've never lifted the hood and stuck my ears right into the "engine" compartment.

5. Danhen

Danhen Active Member

Exactly. Unfortunately a car dealer is one of the last places to go when you need accurate information. And that's not just with Hyundai.

But granted constantly using a high speed charger like this all the time is not the best scenario for the long term life of your traction battery, it's not like you car was not designed for this.

6. They might not have expected owners to open the hood while charging either. Seems pretty quiet inside the car.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. naticom

naticom New Member

Check my 3rd video starting from 0:25, if you haven’t listened to the full length. It’s definitely something suspicious.

And it’s actually very loud while I’m sitting in my drivers seat, as if I’m driving a very old gas car.

9. If you're not noticing noise from the compressor while driving with AC I doubt there is anything wrong, noting that a few Kona owners have had compressor problems.

10. Alex7xl

Alex7xl New Member

It seems it's battery cooling.
    I heard the same sound while charging my Kona at 58 kW charger.