Android Auto, Pandora & Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Bruce M., Jun 10, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Though I miss cars having CD players, I have used Pandora to listen to music in the car via Android Auto. Recently, I traded my ancient, creaking phone for a new one, and Pandora stopped working. Pandora's help section confirms that it no longer works through Android Auto, but says it should play through Bluetooth audio.

I can't get that to work either. It shows on the screen that I'm connected, but when I press "play" ... nothing. Bluetooth works just fine for phone calls.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Toby Whitehead

Toby Whitehead New Member

It may be Android Auto controlling all the audio output from the phone. If Pandora doesn't work try one of the supported apps in Android Auto to see if they work. If you are connecting Android Auto with a cable try disconnecting the cable and seeing if Bluetooth Audio works.

4. Bruce M.

Connecting with the cable definitely does not work. It should connect without the cable via Bluetooth, and it appears to connect but doesn't actually play. I have contacted Pandora to see if they can help.

5. Toby Whitehead

It's probably a android software issue. I would try it after shutting down the android auto app to make sure it's not hijacking the audio output from your phone. I say that because I occasionally have problems with using the phone in the car via Bluetooth because Android Auto doesn't release the audio system when I get an incoming call.

6. Toby Whitehead

Definitely a software issue maybe a setting because Pandora works in my 21 Kona EV in Android Auto.

Attached Files:

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Bruce M.

That's how it worked for me before I got the new phone. And yet Pandora's own help pages now say you can't use Pandora directly though Android Auto but need to use Bluetooth. It's very odd. They have a Help page that lets you create a support ticket, which I've done, so hopefully they can give me an answer. Other Android Auto functions, like maps/navigation, seem to work fine.

9. Bruce M.

After multiple email exchanges with Pandora support, they have no clue and are referring my complaint to their engineering team. Maybe I'm just lucky.