An new tool for EV advocates. Disprove the argument that EVs are unaffordable.

Discussion in 'General' started by JamesEB, Aug 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JamesEB

JamesEB New Member

I built a free tool. It takes a current combustion car’s value or financing, and its running costs, including tax and road charging, and compares those real monthly costs with matching EVs. The results are pretty revealing and help disprove the argument that EVs are unaffordable or ‘expensive’.

www.ev-toolkit.co.uk

I share it with friends who spend a small fortune running their combustion cars, that say EVs are expensive.

ev-toolkit-website.jpg

turtleturtle and bwilson4web like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I haven't looked at your tool but wanted to share a lesson learned at General Electric:
    • Capital cost - what it takes to get the initial product/software/tool
    • Operating cost - what is paid year after year to use the capital product/software/tool
    Some co-mingle the two costs (actually ignoring the recurring operating costs) and buy cheap only to pay several times over, year-after-year. The smart ones buy frugal knowing there will an annual expense that has to be paid. So in the 1980s, Macintosh were 'expensive' to buy but cheap to operate. PCs were cheap to buy but needed 2-3x staff to keep working. For a supervisor whose pay grade was set by the number of direct reports ... which is best for their career?

Bob Wilson