Alternator ideas

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by PGuillory71, Apr 26, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. PGuillory71

PGuillory71 New Member

I am very new to this or any EV forum, so I do not know where to post this. My background in not in engineering, nor do I claim to have any working knowledge of an electronic vehicle. The following is just an idea or a more of a question that I have had for nearly 30 years. I have held a few conversations with other very normal people whom are not electrical or mechanical engineers as well. During these discussions, I was told that I should share the idea or ask the question. Like I said, this has been an idea that I have had for nearly 30 years, and with the rapid commercial expansion into the reality of electric vehicles, I find this an appropriate time to ask this without fear of wide criticism.

The alternator in a combustion engine is turned by a belt and is the electric power source of a vehicle. Obviously the power must be stored in the battery and so forth, but once the engine is started the alternator takes as the electrical power source for the vehicle and it even charges the battery. With the exception of the fuel to fire the combustion engine, the alternator powers literally everything else.

In a hybrid vehicle the batteries are recharged during the operation of the combustion engine. It is my understanding that a hybrid vehicle does not need plugged in for charging due to the combustion engine and alternator charging the batteries for use when necessary.

Long before I ever heard of a hybrid, I had the idea of using an electric engine with a couple of alternators that would be attached to the vehicles wheel assembly. using a belt system. This is much like the one in existence on a combustion engine. Once the vehicle is in motion, the belts would spin the alternators thus creating the electricity used to power the vehicle just as in the common combustion engine. All electronic features, including the engine and batteries would thus be powered by the electricity created by the motion of the vehicle.

I apologize for a long winded introduction for such a small idea, but I wanted everyone to understand that I have zero background in the area and that this was just an idea that popped into the mind of a very young man one day, and that has never gone away.

The idea first cam to mind around 1997, and I suppose there is no question other than me sharing the idea and getting feedback.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

This is effectively what regen is on an EV motor. Doing this will decelerate the vehicle, so fine to engage when braking, useless for acceleration/ coasting.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

This is called a 'series' hybrid: engine drives generator/alternator, and; electricity drives motors. It is actually a good idea if implemented with 'high efficiency engine' and waste-heat recovery for cabin and/or HVAC. The problem is even my BMW i3-REx uses a derated, motorcycle engine without Atkinson valving and cooled exhaust recirculation. So it only gets ~39-40 MPG when using the gas engine. With proper tuning, it should get at least 45 MPG especially using the waste heat for HVAC.

If I had not bought the Model 3, these mods were on my 'to do' list.

Bob Wilson