All the Data... First long road trip in the Kona Electric.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by kalel681, Aug 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Recently took our first long road trip in the Kona. Going from Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island to St. John's, Newfoundland and back, with a few small trips in the middle.

Here's the data for you nerds:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1to5cUk93cZ9aQwrjGtt_4_w6DlUWjhOWDzZntJcQ1jo/edit?usp=sharing

A few observations from the trip:
    - Total charging cost $143.35.
    - The Kona is much, much more efficient than ABRP gives it credit for. Even before the first charge stop, we gave up on using it and just planned on the fly using Google Maps and PlugShare.
    - We didn't have to charge in North Sydney, but did to avoid a rush at a single charger off of the ferry in the am that has been spotty on PlugShare.
    - The charging infrastructure in the East coast of Canada SUCKS!!! Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and PEI all have max 50kW DC Fast chargers. Newfoundland has 62.5kW chargers.
    - Did the math for our ICE (2018 Toyota Corolla) for the same trip. With an average of 6L/100Km at $2.00/L it would have cost us $525.48 (4,379Km/100x6x$2.00).
    - Do not hope on Petro Canada. Our best and worst charging experiences were both at a Petro Canada. Return trip was to Moncton for a Costco run before heading home (ferry between NS and PE was also out of service. So forcing us to go the "long way").

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/holiday-island-ferry-fire-wood-islands-1.6528847

Detoured to Stewiacke, NS on purpose to use the superfast Petro charger there, cuz, superfast and I'm an RBC customer so free as well. Best charging experience of the whole trip! Topped out at 72kW.

Get to Moncton at 15:10 (15%, 50km) with the intention of plugging in while cruising the mall and eating and then hitting up big box and going home. Problem with Moncton is that without the Petro chargers (which I already knew were out), there are a grand total of 3 DC chargers, 2 are 50kW, other is 24Kw, in the whole city. 2022 Kona plugged in when we arrive at the mall, with a Mach-e waiting. Head to the one at Magnetic Hill Irving (about 10s from the Petro). Kia Nero just started said they would be about 45 mins. Decided to go to Costco and then see if any of the chargers were free after. Shopping done, we head back to the Irving, Kia Soul plugged in. Mall shows free on the limited cell service in that area. By the time we get there, there's another Soul plugged in and the mall is closed. So we plug into level 2 and wait. 18:07 we get access to the fast charger, and get just enough to get across the bridge to Borden. Because the battery is now cold, only pulling 35kW. Which also means instead of getting home at around 18:00 or 18:30, were now home at 21:00.

Eww bugs.jpg
    EWW BUGS!

10k.jpg
    10K Woohoooo!

Moose.jpg
    Moose.

Free charging .jpg
    Gotta love free fast charging!

Stewiack.jpg
    Best charging experience of the trip.

home.jpg
    Home Sweet Home.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Glad it all worked out, sounds like a fun trip, especially sneaking up on that moose. Good thing your quiet car didn't startle him.:D Did you happen to notice what rate the Ionic 5 was achieving beside you at that N.S. Petro Canada charger?

kalel681 likes this.
  4. We just did our first long trip from Vancouver Island to Calgary in June. Until then, I had only charged on public fast chargers twice in three years. Seems we have better infrastructure here in BC, even though most of the BC Hydro and Fortis chargers are only 50kwh. We did have an opportunity to use the Electrify Canada 150kwh chargers, which didn't help much since my Kona can only accept 75kwh, but it did cut charging time by about 10 mins.

We did meet some nice EVs along the way including a couple of Ionic 5s which were able to charge at around 250kwh on the 350kwh chargers. One of the people with the Ionic 5 had travelled across the US and was heading back across Canada. Brave soul. The guy with the Audi had non-stop problems with charging rates (we were on the same route and ended up at a lot of the same chargers).

We had great conversations with everyone and we are now on a list for the Ionic 5. Talking to owners and having the opportunity to test drive one a few weeks ago helped us make the decision. We will probably end up with the 2023.

I am no longer anxious about road trips! Thanks for your account of your east coast road trip!

java and kalel681 like this.
  5. The moose was none the wiser!

I didn't notice what rate the Ioniq 5 was charging at. I find it kind of weird that you hear about East coasters being the nicest people ever, that wasn't my experience at chargers. Other than the Rivian owner from DC that we met in NS, nobody else seemed like they wanted to chat.

No problem at all! My other half was very anxious about range before this trip. Not anymore, and is even looking at getting her own EV soon.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  6. Interesting that no one wanted to chat. My experience on the west coast is that almost everyone wanted to chat!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It was also 30+ degrees on most days. So could have been that people didn't want to stand in the hot sun and chit chat.

9. RocketGuy

RocketGuy New Member

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and for all the data.

10. Rob Kaulfuss

Rob Kaulfuss New Member

I recently took my first long road trip in my 2021 Kona Electric Ultimate through Massachusetts and upstate NY. Lots of major highway driving, but also a major trek into rural upstate Adirondack Mountains. Here are my observations:
    EV charging infrastructure is nowhere near what it needs to be for the coming rollout of EVs. My experience below will sound terrible, but overall I survived and loved driving the Kona the whole way. If I repeat the trip, I will now know where the good and bad spots are.
    • It took hours of planning ahead of time to figure out where and when I was going to charge, especially getting into rural areas where I was going to be staying for several days. You have to plan for charging issues at any one stop so that you will have enough range to get to the next one if you can't charge for some reason. Adding charge whenever there is an opportunity is helpful.
    • There were issues of some sort at 3 out of 5 fast charging spots, including some that were down either completely or partially, people waiting, some that had charging rates throttled back to 35KW at 350KW chargers (for any car), etc.
    • Each network (Electrify America, EVGo, EVolve NY, etc. has a different protocol and so you need to set up memberships ahead of time and practice in using them. For example, at Electrify America, one of the chargers kept stopping after 2 minutes so I gave up, but realized later that my account balance had not automatically reloaded as it had at an earlier station. At several stations, the credit card reader was not working so you had to have an account already set up.
    • At my Airbnb, I was able to plug in, but needed an extension cord and the outside outlet and one of the inside ones gave charging faults and I had to go in through a window to find one that worked (it was an old house).
    • Charging locations can be somewhat hard to find if they are in big shopping centers off the major highways.
    • Once charging was started (my rates got up to 72kw at the best spots), the waits were easy to get through by doing some shopping or having a nice meal break. All stations were out in the open so hot sun and rain were issues.

11. Julian Egelstaff

Julian Egelstaff New Member

Terrific, thanks for sharing. I've taken my 2021 Kona Electric Preferred from Toronto to west coast of Newfoundland and back via PEI. Totally agree, charging infrastructure on the east coast is sparse and out of date, low power. But hey, at least they have something now, even all across Newfoundland, which is almost as remote as it gets.

Last year, I drove 10,500km to the west coast and back. http://yourturn.ca/ev/ Similar experience, though thankfully never such a queue to use a charger as you had in Moncton! The Kona is extremely efficient and will easily do close to 300km on the highway on a full charge.

I have found the same thing as you about apps, that Plugshare and Google Maps/Android Auto is all you need (sign up for the Plugshare beta and it works with Android Auto and an internet connection, but I usually plan all stops in advance, plus contingencies).

I've done up to about 900km in one day, with three stops for charging. I find it works best to have a short break first, second stop for lunch for up to an hour, third stop half an hour tops to stretch your legs and top up for the last leg. Basically the same as driving a gas car.

And only stay overnight where you can charge at a level 2.

It's a fantastic car!

--Julian

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Julian Egelstaff

Julian Egelstaff New Member

Also, I noticed in your data you said you weren't charged for the Port aux Basques station, but that one is not internet connected so at some point when they dump the data from it (manually?) they will probably charge your chargepoint account in the future. I had the same experience prior to boarding the ferry.

--Julian

14. Kathryne, don't rule out an EV6 which is so similar to the I5 but a very different look. Its big advantage is that the rear window remains entirely usable and visibility is good during rain events. The road gunk that covers the entire back end of an I5 is limited to below the spoiler on the EV6. Also, I think that advertised range is a bit higher. I'm glad I went with it over the I5.

15. I assumed as much. When/if they do eventually bill me for it, I'll update the data. I've also updated it to remove the amount for the stop in Stewiacke because it was credited back to my card.

Does the beta give you all the Plugshare info right in Google maps through Android Auto?

We're going to be doing another trip to Halifax next month. Based on the information on Plugshare, we may have difficulty finding charging as we're staying at an AirB&B camper outside of the city. Not sure if we'll even be able to use the level 1 while there.

16. As the saying goes, "East-coasters are kind but not nice. West-coasters are nice but not kind."

East-coasters won't talk to you or acknowledge your presence while they help dig your car out of a snowbank. West-coasters will smile and make conversation right before cutting ahead of you in line to use the charger. At least, that's how it works in America. :D

Pastera likes this.
  17. Pastera

Pastera New Member

But don't move that old folding chair reserving the parking spot they shoveled out!

18. Rob Kaulfuss

Rob Kaulfuss New Member

Yes, it is a terrific car! I got mine in September 21, replacing a Volt. I had considered waiting for an ID.4, Mach-E, or Ioniq 5 due to faster charging rates. However, like you, I don't do much long travel. The Kona was less expensive to buy and more efficient to drive. The slower charging speed was not that much of an issue at all, especially compared to the other charging hassles. Very happy that I got the Kona.

Rhynri and electriceddy like this.
  19. Just an FYI - ABRP can use either a manually input efficiency setting for better calculations, or you can get an OBDII BT LE plug and have it read and calibrate consumption on the fly. That's what we do, and if you use it with carplay it shows your expected charge at the next stop in the upper right corner. Since I set it up, ABRP has been bang-on for guess-o-meter purposes.

Genevamech likes this.
  20. That's our thoughts as well! The higher efficiency offsets the slower charging nicely, gives us a similar drive/charge time ratio to our 2016 MX we replaced with it, even though that charged quite a bit faster. Very happy with it.

Rob Kaulfuss and electriceddy like this.
  21. Looks like a great trip! We were in PEI at the end of July on our own long distance journey! I recognize a couple of those stops. Maybe we crossed paths. We definitely came to much the same conclusions about driving, ABRP/Plugshare, etc. I put up all the data and experiences on my blog. https://chrisalemany.ca/2022/08/15/saving-co2-on-a-cross-country-ev-journey/
    I'll create a thread too but I thought I'd reply here too.

22. LOL yeah. Woe betide you if you steal the spot someone else shoveled out.

Pastera likes this.
  23. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Canada's Official Greenhouse Gas Inventory has some strange data for their 2020 projections used for @kalel681's adventure.

New Brunswick 467MW coal capacity - 1,140 kt CO2 equivalent, 1,170 GWh generation
    Saskatchewan 1,530MW coal capacity - 8,700 kt CO2 equivalent, 7,900 GWh generation
    Alberta 1,326MW coal capacity - 20,500 kt CO2 equivalent, 22,400 GWh generation

Hopefully the data will be updated to account for decommissioned stations or dual fuel conversions as well.