Adding ethanol stabilizer to gas tank

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by glockgirl, Mar 3, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. glockgirl

glockgirl Member

Has any of u had to add sta-bill or similar product to gas tank since it can take so long to use up a tank of gas?
    I driven over 550 miles on first tank from dealer and still have over 3/4 tank of gas. At the rate I'm going, I'll be over 1k mi before needing to fill up a again.
    I'm planning on only putting ethanol free in unless I'm driving a cross a few states.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I can't see it.
    My Volt actively manages the age of the fuel in the tank to be less than a year old.
    I've gone as long as eight months between fill ups in that car with no apparent ill effects.

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

No one knows for sure if our Claritys will engage the ICE to keep gas under 1 yr old like the Volts. Because of this and the fact that almost all my driving is EV, I elected to add Stabil to the full tank that came at purchase. I played with HV mode to get ICE to come on long enough to work stabilized gas all the way through the system. It won’t hurt anything to add it, so go ahead if you want to. If I find I am emptying the tank in less than 6 months I probably will discontinue. Have to wait and see. I guess I’m a better safe than sorry type is guy.

5. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Yes, and it also starts ICE to do system checks but those are probably not of sufficient frequency or duration to empty the 7 gal tank in under 6 months with out specific software instructions to do so as in the Volt. (1yr for Volt). That’s why I added Stabil

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

I don't think there's a need for it. Having had 2 prior PHEVs, all of them, because most of our driving would be on electric, would go quite some distance before the ICE would kick on. We never had an issue with the engines despite never having used gas additives. I'd think if they were necessary, Honda and other automakers would recommend them.

ilun and glockgirl like this.
  9. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

It has a pressurized fuel tank like the Volt as well (page 451 to 453 of full manual), so fuel should last much longer than traditional car.

Ethanol doesn't matter for fuel aging as long as tank is well sealed. Honda says up to 15% ethanol is fine (might be part of reason for pressurized tank, keeps out moisture).

glockgirl likes this.
  10. Johngalt6146

Johngalt6146 Active Member

Here is one data point: We had an original 67 6 Cyl Chevy. that we recently sold. Over the last 15-20 years, we did not drive it much. A tank of gas (without Stabil) would last several years. As long as I started it about every 4 weeks or less, I never had any problems with gas or starting.

dstrauss, jdonalds and glockgirl like this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I believe it's the depressurizing of the pressurized fuel tank that is responsible for the delay in the opening of the fuel-fill door.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I agree. Over the past 9 years I sometimes put Stabil in the boat (50 gal and filled to the top) gas tank, some years I didn't. I never noticed any change in engine behavior one way or the other. The boat sits for at least six months over the winter.