Accessories to negotiate for

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Ordell98, Jul 21, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ordell98

Ordell98 New Member

Im pulling the trigger this week on a Touring ($34,400 before TTL), and the dealer agreed to give me a 3rd key fob included. All the other dealers I’ve talked to consider this Insane, so I guess it was a good ask? I just didn’t want to wait until my wife lost her key to get a new one, and a backup seemed good.

Any accessories that you guys consider essential that I should purchase when I pick it up?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

The extra key fob idea was pure genius. Wish I had thought of that considering how expensive they are.

I vote for mud flaps and the trunk protector molded for the rear part of the trunk. Maybe the rear seat cover if you have kids or dogs. A lot of the other accessories are fru-fru.
    Skip the OEM floor mats as they have poor coverage and get the WeatherTech or TuxMats.

Omgswify, Ordell98 and AnthonyW like this.
  4. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Key fob warranty. You can claim up to 2 within the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Ordell98 likes this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I guess you already know it's your wife who will lose her fob, so if you get two #1 fobs, give her one. But you'll be very bummed out if you lose the only #2 fob in your household because that will render the automatic seat adjustment feature useless.

Ordell98 likes this.
  6. Hobbesgsr

Hobbesgsr Active Member

Since I always buy winter tires for our cars and put them on the OEM wheels, I negotiated winter tires and my preferred summer wheels into the deal once they confirmed their price was competitive to local shops.

I also got the splash guards added to the purchased price.

Ordell98 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Well, on some cars, the key fob would cost about $30-$50 but the dealer would charge upwards of $100 to program it. Most cars, would have a simple procedure to add a third fob as long as you had two present. So if you loose one, you have no choice but to go to the dealer and pay $200 ($100 for the fob, $100 for programming it).

Now, it looks like the fog is about $320 discounted. And not sure how you can program it... Ouch...

In any case, I'm working with a couple of dealers. One of them includes a protection package that's real: mud guards, trunk tray and wheel locks which I have no problems with. The other, wheel locks and UV protection at almost $400.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  9. toomie

toomie Member

More info on this please.

10. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

When I helped my parents buy and Accord Touring, they went with the 7/130km extended warranty at a discount and they threw in the key fob warranty. It sounded like it did not cost the dealer much and was within the business manager’s authority to toss it in. Within the coverage period, think it is 3years, if lost or damaged, they can get up to 2 replacement fobs.

11. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

I'm using the prayer method and use a long lanyard on each fob.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

These warranties (key fob, full refund if unused, etc) are a way to entice you to purchase the extended warranty. Thing is, their markups are insane. For the 3 Hondas I've had I've always asked the price of Honda Care (when they would offer some 3rd party one), and it's been literally $1000 over what I've gotten from Bernardi or Hyannis. I would tell them to drop the "1" in the front of the number they would reply "that's my cost"..

About the keyfob insurance it would be a matter of how much and if you can get it elsewhere on your own, after considering the cost of a new one. And what truly covers. On a long trip, my wife accidentally dropped the fob on the ground and stepped on it, braking the key from the base of the fob. We had the 2nd key luckily.

14. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

15. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

16. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Reviewed my parent's paperwork, the dealer tossed in a 3rd party insurance specifically covering only key fobs rather than the broader Honda "Owner Comfort".

17. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

I'll have them "fix" that if I were you. Honda warranties can be claimed anywhere whereas 3rd party ones you are at the mercy of the dealer... Also, look for any deductibles..

18. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

$0 deductible. $0 cost to us.

Johnhaydev likes this.