AC cabin air recirc too long?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by KClark, Apr 24, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KClark

KClark Active Member

Even though I've had my car for about 4 months I've hardly used the climate control. I live in CA and it's been a cool winter and spring, but since it's CA it's not that cold. So I've just used fresh air without AC for the most part. It's finally starting to get hot and for the last two days I've used the AC. When I set the climate control to Auto it stays in cabin recirc a very long time, long enough that I've noticed the air getting kind of clammy like it does when recirc is on too long. For example, today it's in the 80s, I got in my car at work and drove home. Auto had it on recirc for my whole trip home, about 30 minutes. This doesn't seem normal to me. Anyone else notice this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Irrespective of whether the temperature and humidity sensors and algorithm choose recirculation or not, the cold evaporator under the dash should condense the moisture and remove it. If you’re getting a clammy feeling (indicative of high humidity) then it’s because moisture is not being removed, not because it’s in recirculation mode. For example the outside temperature and humidity can be such that recirculation can be the best mode to be in.

You need to investigate why it seems like you are describing a lack of humidity control while still getting cooling. My first guess would be a clogged drain hose from evaporator to underneath the car. Also check the floor carpet for wetness as some have reported the evaporator leaking water into the cabin. Also, if you run the AC on high long enough, you should see it dripping water from underneath the car. Of not, it’s most likely clogged.

Good luck and let us know what you find out the remedy is so we can add it to the collective wisdom.

PS: I’m not an AC tech (and don’t play one on TV either) but my most trusted mechanic is and this is always what he checks first.

4. KClark

KClark Active Member

I base my observations on the fact that both of my most recent cars, a 2011 Odyssey and a 2002 F150 don't play well with extended recirc, both tend to create a clammy feel in the air if run for extended time, as soon as outside air is selected that feeling goes away.

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

I consider what you describe normal for vehicles today, including the Clarity. They are very insistent about staying in recirculate because that gets the best MPG (less A/C compressor use). However the A/C compressor has to run to dehumidify, so the air can indeed get clammy if the HVAC is always on recirculate. Don't be afraid to hit the fresh air button if you get stale and clammy inside (the car, that is).

Oh, and just because it's a good idea, follow up on @KentuckyKen thought and check the drain.

6. KentuckyKen

I’ve never experienced that. I’ve never had a clammy feeling with AC and I always used recirculation in my old manual AC cars (CRV, Accord, F250 diesel) Could be a difference in perception between us. And perhaps it’s so hot in my locale that the compressor runs often enough to keep the humidity down when in recirculation so I’ve not needed to switch to fresh.
    Does yours make a puddle under the car when AC is run?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KClark

KClark Active Member

It may be the difference between being in the arid west vs humid Kentucky. The fresh air in CA is dry and any accumulated humidity gained from constant recirc is probably easily felt, at least by me who has lived my whole life in dry air. In Kentucky the outside air is probably much more humid than what is inside with constant recirc. Yes, there is a puddle when AC is run. And I have been manually selecting outside air, I was just curious about why Auto would manage it like that. Auto on the Odyssey runs recirc for about 5 minutes to get the temp down and then switches to outside air.

9. KentuckyKen

That’s probably it. I know that someone posted info showing the Clarity has temp and humidity sensors and I suspect it’s programmed for best possible efficiency and not necessarily comfort. So it would make sense that here in the more humid east that even in recirc we feel better and don’t noice any clamminess. At least here I can just let the CC choose and stay comfortable.