A 0 1 maintenance message

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by megreyhair, Apr 5, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

Have a question regarding A01 message. It is a reminder to change oil (A), body inspection (0) and tire rotation (1). I have been getting that service soon message for a few weeks and and it changed to service now. I have snow tires and so rotate my tires twice a year so I went into the menu to reset the tire rotation message. I expect to continue to get the A0 message until I reset that after oil change. But for some reason all the maintenance message went away.

Is that suppose to do that ? Is A01 1 message and not 3 different messages?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

If the time is up for one in the group of things, it will show the notice for all the things. The others are not reset, they were just not actually expired yet.

4. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

then you can't really tell which 1 of the 3 need 'fixing'

5. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Keep track of when you do services. It's not detecting anything, they're just on a schedule.

insightman likes this.
  6. pigrew

pigrew Member

The Android software OvZ Car Scanner ELM OBD2 (with appropriate ODB transceiver) can tell you how many "days" are left on each maintenance item.

And, yes, those are three separate maintenance items. 0 is easy enough that you should do it during any A service. Rotating the tires based on miles seems reasonable. If you change wheels+tires twice a year, you probably know better about when to rotate tires than the car does.

Some of the user manuals say that you can't individually reset indicators, without factory service tools... I'm not sure if that's true.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

That's a good idea. Let me hook up a scanner and see.
    Thanx everyone!

9. The MM does display service due in “days”, however, there is information provided in the owners manual that suggests that “days” are calculated based on certain operating conditions. A0350549-719F-430E-A490-A155DC0D3E1A.jpeg
    From experience, I have observed the A01 service triggering at 7500 miles, when the car was driven more than 7500 miles in a year. This was likely triggered by a call for a tire rotation, since the engine may have been used for fewer than 1000 miles since the last oil change and the oil change was performed less than 12 months prior. Now that the car is driven less than 7500 miles per year, the A01 service triggers at 12 months, likely due to the guidance in the manual to change the oil at 12 months, or sooner if called for by the MM.

I have also observed the “service due in 10 days” notice, take a month or more to count down those “10 days”. This would be another clear indication that the service intervals are not determined by a number of elapsed days.

This has been hashed over before and some owners were adamant that the service intervals were calendar based even though there was, and is, evidence to the contrary.

10. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

So last time I reset "0" tire rotation and the "A01" message disappeared. This morning i got a "01" message. So I guess the tire rotation and oil/filter change messages are independent of each other. I guess Honda programmed the 2 maintenance item to have the same (more or less) intervals.

11. Why not just keep track of it yourself with a speadsheet log? I mean, if you really want it available to view on the HMU, you can always either use G Sheets and load it up via the browser, or use the Android environment (I don't recommend either, what with the poor performance specs and very limited memory). You can keep it on a USB thumb drive within the vehicle if you want, or save to the cloud (which you can use X-plore to access on-board as well).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Duxa

Duxa Member

When you reset it asks you which to reset, one of the options (I think top one) is to reset all, when you did your reset you must have hit 'reset all'.

Also tire rotation is not as important as some may say it is, for shops its a thing they can get you in for just like changing oil every 3k miles even though with modern cars 5k even 10k is not uncommon, in Europe tire rotations are unheard of. Yes rotation does something, front wheels wear faster due to turns and also by being FWD, but twice a year is too much. I rotate based on miles about every 10k miles. Could probably get away with 20k miles. (i.e once in lifetime of tires).

Id get a tire gauge (like $5) and only do rotation if back is significantly thinner than the front (2mm+).

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Americans-pay-to-have-their-tires-rotated-when-most-other-countries-do-not-do-this-at-all

14. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I did not do a reset all. It asked "do you want to reset reminder?" or something along that line. There was no "all" in the message. The message popped up on me twice within the last 2 months so I remembered it clearly, especially after I reset it the first time for tires. The 2ne time the message came back with oil and filter change. I think it is strange that a tire rotation reminder will also bring up the oil and filter change reminder even though they are not due for change.

15. Indeed. We had the tires rotated at 7500 miles, probably needlessly, but it was included with the oil change. Tire wear at every subsequent recommended interval has indicated that a rotation was unnecessary. The most recent was at 3 years and about 33,000 miles. I’d estimate that we’ll get 60,000 miles from these tires and possibly not need to rotate them more that once, if at all, between now and then.