7500 miles on my 2021 Ioniq EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai IONIQ Electric' started by jeff10236, Jan 7, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. jeff10236

jeff10236 Member

So, I drive a lot (even when I am not driving Uber and Lyft on the side very often). Since I bought my Ioniq in September, I have put 7500 miles on it.

My thoughts:
    It is a very comfortable car. I recently took it on a day trip (200+ mile round trip) and found that if it wasn't for the limited battery range, it would be a terrific trip/highway car. Not something you expect out of what is essentially a small econobox. However, the sound deadening and lack of much road or wind noise, the high seating, and smooth suspension on the highway and power delivery make for very little fatigue on a trip.

While it isn't geared for speed like some EVs, and is on the slow end for 0-60, it feels faster in real life use. The immediate torque characteristics of all EVs make for a very livable and pleasant power delivery in real life driving, it has the power when you need it.

It is very efficient. While I drive a lot (I've driven it more than 2000 miles a month), I'd estimate that my electric bill has only gone up about $30-40 a month since I've had it. How much driving will you get out of even the most efficient ICE and HEV cars for $30-40?

It is small. I've been driving midsized cars (and one SUV) for most of the last 20 years. This is very much a compact car, with rear seat room and overall width similar to the smaller compacts. It is a bit tight for passengers for more than 30min or so, but on the plus side, it is VERY maneuverable and easy to park. I have to park one of my cars on the street (my townhouse has parking for two cars, my roommate gets one of those spots), and this will easily parallel park in spots I can never hope to get my Sonata into. The cargo area is enough for groceries and other daily needs, but part of getting a hatchback or small SUV was for more cargo capability than a sedan. I don't think it really will be any better for that than my Sonata, and with passengers (so I can't put the seats down) it is tighter than the Sonata, though I'm not sure how it would compare to the Elantra's trunk which is a sedan that's a more comparable overall size.

With only 7500 miles I'd hope not to have any trouble yet, but, 7500mi can sometimes be enough for problems to start showing up. It has given me no problems whatsoever.

Range... At 170 EPA estimated range, it has been about what I expected. In the fall, when I used neither the heat nor AC much, I was getting 195-205mi per charge regularly. I loved it. This winter, I am getting 140-150 per charge. What I expected, but it feels a bit limited. I had to take a passenger into Frederick, MD (light mountain driving) in 28 degree weather and on a 70mph highway (for most of the trip I stayed under the speed limit), and got a bit nervous when I saw my estimated 100 mile range I had left when I picked up my passenger drop at an average rate of almost 2 miles every actual mile I drove. The range would be no problem if it is one of two (or more) cars, or if you almost never go very far, but it definitely will take some planning for me when I sell the Sonata.

Recommendations:
    If you will definitely have two cars, or rarely get out of your city/town/suburbs: it is a buy. Prices are great (compared to most other BEVs). Mine is the Limited so it has a lot of equipment (sunroof, leather, all the electronic safety gadgets, Harmon Kardon sound system).

If it will be an only vehicle, the range can be a bit limiting and you will need to plan carefully. I kind of wish I went with the Kona EV or Niro EV cousins, or the new VW ID.4, but I'm also happy with my Ioniq. If you are aware of what you are getting into and don't mind the lower range (and you are willing to plan around it), get the Ioniq. Otherwise, if you have any doubts, get something with a 200+ mile EPA range.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SciFiReader

SciFiReader New Member

I have a 2020 Niro EV, almost 13,000 miles on it. I've had it for a year this month, and my electric bill has increased around $15 on average. Currently with our cold temps and with this car having the "Cold Weather Package" which includes the heat pump, I've lost about 20-30 miles of range (currently estimated range with 100% battery is 240). During warmer weather range is around 265. I've taken this on several trips.

Regarding range, when I first got the car I hadn't installed a charger at home and was using the 120-volt cord that's included to charge it. This could add about 50 miles range overnight. However, after I installed the 240-volt charger (I went with ChargePoint based on reviews) I found the car could reach about 15-20 more miles of range - I guess it can't get the battery as full with a 120-volt charger.

Longest trip I have taken is to Williamsburg VA from Roanoke VA or from Roanoke VA to Midway MD (whichever is longer). In all cases I have seen a huge variance in chargers, costs, and reliability. My best luck and price so far is from Electrify America brand chargers which are present at many Sheetz and Walmart locations. These seem to work most of the time, and they charge for power delivered rather than by the minute. Most expensive charger I've encountered was a ChargePoint at Midway MD which charged per minute for parking, per KW for charging.

The only issue I've had with the car to this point is the wireless phone charger has stopped working. Apple CarPlay/Android Auto on my model year is wired anyway so my phone gets charged via the USB. I purchased a 6-inch lightning cable to connect my phone and leave it sitting where the wireless charger pad is located.

Space in the car is limited compared to what I was used to - a Subaru Forester. The only time this has really mattered is when I carry a wheelchair for my mother; it fit behind the rear seats on the Forester but I have to drop the wider side of the rear seat for it to fit in the Niro EV.

Auto-cruise, Auto-highbeams, emergency braking, all work very well and really reduce the stress of trips. I do wish that the rear windshield wiper had a sprayer as well (again like the Subaru). Heated and cooled seats are great; heated steering wheel ditto.

Three-year maintenance includes the need to replace the battery anti-freeze; I am anxiously waiting on availability from third parties and can't nail down whether this is a special fluid or one of the standard anti-freeze products. If it is a special fluid and dealer-only I'd bet it will be crazy expensive. I've owned several Hyundai cars in the past and recommend that if you have a Hyundai or Kia that YOU FOLLOW THE MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE EXACTLY AND DOCUMENT THE MAINTENANCE!!! They have great warranties but if something happens you should be prepared to defend the fact that you followed the maintenance schedule. For example, on my old Sonata, had the motor died I would have to prove that I kept the oil changed on-schedule or the warranty claim could be denied. Never actually had any trouble with the Sonata, but I've heard of people who didn't follow maintenance or just couldn't prove it having their claim denied. I can understand both sides of the issue - the company shouldn't be blamed if you neglect your ride. As far as the Niro EV, the only maintenance that occurs (in the whole schedule) is the anti-freeze fluid change, cabin air filter change, reduction gear grease (which I think the schedule just says to "Inspect"), brakes, and tires. Half-shaft rubber boots are "inspect" / replace. I'm sure the wheel bearings are just like any other car - on the Subaru they seem to last 100-120K and can't be lubricated, only replaced.

I'd buy another Niro EV or Kona in a heartbeat. Looking at their newer EV6 based vehicles I am a little bummed at the color selections and assume that's due to all of the green materials they are using in those.

jeff10236 likes this.
  4. jeff10236

jeff10236 Member

Good point. Hyundai/Kia has a great warranty, but look online and you'll see customer service is terrible, and they do all they can to get out of warranty repairs. My old Kia Sorrento cost me $8K on what should have been a warranty repair because I had a trailer hitch and wiring installed aftermarket by the RV dealer, and Kia/the Kia dealer claimed their wiring caused the issue (no way, but no way I could have proven otherwise). That was in the back of my mind with both subsequent Hyundai purchases (the Sonata and Ioniq) and almost caused me to not buy the Sonata.