48W charger too much for Clarity

Discussion in 'Honda' started by Jim1960, Jul 24, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

Is there any reason not to buy a 48W charger for the Clarity? These things self-limit, right?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I think you mean 48 amps not 48 watts. It will work, but you well need enough capacity in your breaker panel to install a 60 amp circuit for the EVSE.

Obviously, it will cost more for the 48 amp EVSE and the 60 amp circuit, depending on how far away the install is from the breaker panel. You might want to find out how much the 60 amp circuit is going to cost before spending the money on the EVSE.

And yes you are correct, the Honda will charge only at the rate that its build-in charger can use. Which in this case is far less then the 48 amp EVSE can provide.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  4. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

Thanks for that information, I just didn't want the extra power (which my Ioniq 5 can use, in theory), if there would be a problem with all that power feeding the Clarity. Also thanks for the warning on power required. But:
    In NJ, the installation of the 60amp circuit is paid for by the utility company in a series of rebates on your bill up to $1500. My electrician quoted exactly that (surprise, surprise) to run the line, and confirmed that the 60amp was fine in my 200amp panel with the utility and the town.