2nd meter for Level 2 Charging???

Discussion in 'General' started by jayw, Nov 17, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. jayw

jayw New Member

I'm in the initial planning/research stages for installing a Level 2 wall connector. I just had one contractor refuse to quote me anything unless I agreed to installing a 2nd meter. Is this standard practice for 60AMP service? This is the first I have heard of installing a second meter for car charging. I went out to the electric companies website and found a number of contractors with fixed install prices and all of them quoted a meter install. Is this just the electric company trying to keep track of EV charging?? Thanks ahead of time for your responses. They are appreciated.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I don't know why a second meter would be necessary, they just count the kWh usage. But your electric company may "prefer" a second meter for tracking.

My electric company has a special off-peak EV charging option which I took advantage of, which does require a second, dedicated meter for EV circuits only. But installation of a second meter wasn't too bad, the electricians mounted it to the outside of the house and trenched a line to the garage where I had a circuit panel installed. Electric company provided the head and activated the meter in a single day.

4. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Jayw makes it sound like it's only necessary for a 60 amp circuit. If so, then it doesn't make a lot of sense since a 50 amp circuit would seem more common. However if it's for all EVSE installs, then I can see it.

Anyhow, do you have one service charge each month or two, since you have two meters?

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I get two different bills each month, one for each meter. I haven't looked into combining them, although maybe I could.

One meter/billing account is called by my electrical provider "<House Address>" at about 12¢ per kWh, and the other is "<House Address> EV" at 14¢/4¢ peak/off-peak per kWh. My provider clearly makes the the second meter worthwhile.

6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Weird. I sub-metered my HVAC when it got upgraded so I could track energy usage, but my GoPlug EVSE
    measures AC current and keeps what appears to be a lifetime count of kWh delivered, so it doesn't really
    need another meter inserted.

_H*

7. To remove this ad click here.