22 Kona - Reduction Gear Fluid Inspect vs Change

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Surlycat, Mar 23, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Surlycat

Surlycat Member

I'm not a car expert, so be patient...o_O

My 2022 Kona just hit 30,000 miles. For the last few weeks there has been a low engine rumble sound as I accelerate slowly - it's especially noticeable in the morning. Not quite at the Wheel of Fortune sound, but increasing/deepening.

1. Is this due to the reduction gear fluid being dirty with metal shavings (as was discovered in the earlier EV models)?
    2. If so, what evidence do I need to provide my service dealer (Southern California) so that they replace this oil rather than just check it (which is not suggested on the maintenance schedule until 35,000)?
    3. If not - what might that sound be?

My vehicle already had the wireless phone charger replaced and the battery replaced under warranty due to recall and faulty BMS update. I'm starting to feel nervous that I shouldn't have purchased this car, which I really enjoy but don't know what to expect from in terms of engine noises etc. With my ICE cars I had a sense of which noises were normal, and I was vigilant about changing the engine oil.

What's your advice/insight?
    Feeling a bit angsty...:(

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Almost certainly it's going to be either the motor or gear reducer, both somewhat common problems. The motor may have been improved in newer examples but there are still reports of occasional failures. The gear reducer cannot be repaired by simply changing the oil and this weakness is present (and remains) in all first-gen Kona EVs. For whatever reasons they have avoided rectifying either issue until the 2024 Kona gen-2 version.

There has been only one report that I've heard where Hyundai UK was obstructive in making good with repairs, and that was because (unrelated) scheduled general maintenance was not done precisely on time or miles, a regrettable tactic on their part, IMO. The owner had to pay around the equivalent of US$13k for replacement of both parts even though these design deficiencies are entirely Hyundai's mistake.

In the US you have the luxury of a lengthy full warranty that few globally have. When it's convenient book it in and they will replace the defective part(s). Ask for a loaner car and let them get on with the job.

If you do receive a new gear reducer you may be able to avoid that particular failure from happening again by having the oil changed at your expense, 300 miles and (if it was dirty) again at about 900 miles. You could always inquire if they will give you a good trade-in value for a new 2024.

4. Surlycat

Surlycat Member

Thank-you. On that last point, if I did the change at 300 and again 900 is that it - or is there a regular interval at which I should get it changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. The answer is variable depending on (a) whether you’re covered by a warranty and (b) the cost of that work, and (c) if the oil still contains metal debris.

Since you’re under warranty and (I assume) would have to pay for the oil changes I’d suggest once every second or third service is sufficient, at least until it comes out mostly clean.

If at any time you post a photo of the used oil sloshing around in a pan I can offer a more accurate opinion.

You can download my guide for reference here.
    Don’t let the dealer overcharge for this service. US$ 180 is the most I would accept as reasonable.

Surlycat likes this.
  6. Probably a dumb question, but can they put the revised/improved 2024 parts into a 2021 model?

I just got diagnosed with this issue (2021, 72,000 km) and just waiting for parts to come in.

Terrific document on the subject by the way, KiwiMe.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Well, thank you!

The gen-2 2024 Kona has no parts in common with the gen-1, it's a ground-up redesign that is similar to that used in the E-GMP range (Ioniq 5/6, EV-6) where the motor and reducer are closely integrated into a single assembly. Tesla went through the same learning curve and design evolution between the Model S/X and 3/Y.

When your Kona is repaired, assuming the gear reducer is replaced, you'll only need to change the oil at 500, 1500 km and then once every year or two ongoing and I believe you're unlikely to have further problems with that part. If by chance any of those oil changes comes out free of serious contamination, you'd be off the hook for any more.

It would be great if the dealer would provide that preventative maintenance at their cost but I won't be holding my breath. You could DIY or have a local shop do it. You could ask if they'd be OK with adding a pair of Votex magnetic plugs, ideally during reducer installation when it's easy (noting the tightening torque is lower).

As a related note, I was told last week by a local 2019 owner that he has had the reducer replaced 3 times since late 2023 because two replacements failed due to manufacturing defects, reportedly faulty gear hardening. The car is well out of warranty but fortunately our importer seems conscious of their reputation and is covering the cost of repairs.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024