'22 Kona Limited EV or '22 Ioniq 5

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by Clonbur, Nov 17, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Clonbur

Clonbur New Member

I just lost my Kona to a deer collision and I'm thinking of replacing it with another Kona or the I5. I pulled my teardrop camper (~600lbs) with the Kona with no problems. It seems the I5 is less efficient since it has a bigger battery with similar range to the Kona. I suspect that towing would result in similar loss of range between the two cars.

Is the I5 more capable at towing light trailers?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Seeing as the I5 is rated for towing, that may be the smarter route (in case of future drivetrain issues including any warranty repair involvement). Specs from Hyundai Canada Website:
    Trailer Weight (w/ brake)
    2,000 lbs
    Trailer Weight (without brake)
    1,650 lbs
    Regarding towing with 2024 Kona EV, not sure what the towing capacity is yet, could find nothing here.
    Picture of 2024 MY protype - towing:
    [​IMG]

4. Clonbur

Clonbur New Member

Thanks. You won't find anything on the '21 Kona EV towing capacity. They are not rated. I looked into that prior to buying the '21. It towed my light trailer with no problems but did lose around 20% of range. That was expected.

I guess I'm still wondering about the difference in efficiency when not towing. The range of the '22 Kona and I5 models are very similar comparing the Kona FWD to the I5 AWD. Yes, I know, that's not apples to apples. Battery size is about 30% bigger on the I5. So I am guessing it takes that extra 30% to get from A to B which increases cost of operation by about 30%. It's kind of like the I5 is always towing a sizable load around where the Kona is only losing that 20% while towing.

5. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

I think the I5 has has better electronics, faster charging so that might be a factor

6. Clonbur

Clonbur New Member

Yes, that is a valid point. I am reading the 2022 has a 100 kW charge limit vs the 2021 which I think was 74 kW limit. So I suspect some charging sessions will be faster on the '22.

And I'm really not impressed with all the infotainment gadgetry on the I5 and ID.4. I realize I'm probably an outlier in that regard. I like simple, non-distracting controls.

I didn't have problems with DC charging speeds with the '21. I'm retired and almost never in a rush to get somewhere. I always plan for multiple stops and usually have a good book to wind down with. Or I take a nap!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. No changes have been made to Kona EV (2018-2023) regarding DC charging speed (77kW max with optimum conditions). The exception - 24 MY max 102 kW.
    Realize that I5 utilizes regen from 4 wheels and is equipped with an incline sensor which will re-engage AWD on a decline. Normally I5 uses AWD on acceleration only (unless gradual acceleration) and goes into RWD mode once speed has decreased. This may become a longer duration while towing, so trying to calculate the towing loss percentage has to also include elevation changes.;)
    All wheels regen:
    [​IMG]
    Gentle acceleration in RWD:
    [​IMG]

9. Clonbur

Clonbur New Member

Gotcha. I probably confused max charge with the '24 model. I was generally OK with my '21 charge times. The times I was not pleased I was charging at <50kW DC chargers.

That's interesting that the I5 Regens on four wheels. Didn't know that.