2023 MINI Cooper SE's Base Price Now $4,325 Higher In The US

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by revorg, Aug 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Texas22Step, Domenick and GvilleGuy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Similar in Canada. TBF, Sig+ 2.0/Premier 2.0 offers a lot for the price.

4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I personally enjoy Level 3. The next generation countryman is getting chubbier (BMW iX1 platform) so the Aceman is going to slide in as an (i)X2 alternative.

SameGuy likes this.
  5. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

6. luluna

luluna New Member

This has been true for at least a month now right? I couldn't order a base model back in May either.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Signature has been gone for at least a month, heated steering wheel is no longer standard, I think the checker dash is only on Iconic, and a few other things.

Do the math. The plus was 4,000 more, add the value of the charger, subtract the 100 for the deleted heated steering wheel, and subtract something like 1,000 for the deleted rear mats, and the current car is much less than the 2022. Ignore the value of the rear mats, and you are at about the same price as the 2022 signature plus.

SameGuy likes this.
  9. Ugh I'm afraid to see how much the iconic is now... my car is sitting in California waiting for a truck. Sticker shock inbound.

10. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

That’s a badly researched article as the 2023 has not gained standard items like an 8.8” screen with CarPlay and heated steering wheel etc.
    All those features are on our 2022 base signature.
    You’re essentially getting a 2022 signature plus which added the panoramic roof, more wheel and paint choices, HK stereo, but losing the heated steering wheel. For the same price.
    So it’s no better a deal than the 2022 Signature Plus, and the entry bar for a Mini Se is $4k higher than it was. Given the lower spec model has less stuff in it supply chain is not a problem. They simply want to maximize the profit on the cars they do make so no more base model which was the best value.
    Glad we got our Signature model as adding a glass roof and better speakers/amp for $4k was poor value given that added over 13% to the car price or 20% increase over our post tax credit and state incentive price… (not to mention the extra weight from the roof and larger wheels would reduce range and increase 0-60 times).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  11. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

I don't think that the headline is truly accurate. They didn't raise the price of the base model, they simply eliminated it. Yes, the least expensive SE now costs more, but you also get more for your money.

ETA: I now see that others have already made the latter point.

polyphonic likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I suspect it's more likely that due to supply constraints they eliminated some options, starting with their least-profitable configurations. Many car manufacturers are doing this.

14. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Although... the next-gen SE will supposedly be available in only two trims, not three. So, perhaps cutting back now serves more than one purpose.

15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I hope the economical benefits of building the SE in China and MINI's request for dealers to accept reduced profit margins can offset the greater 27.5% import tariff and the loss of the $7,500 federal tax credit (which will happen if the Inflation Retirement Act passes).

Texas22Step likes this.
  16. Considering that supply chain is restricting the volume business, all Auto manufacturers want to keep their revenues as close to their previous years if not beat it, hence they want to sell higher priced cars if they are investing time and short supplied components.

Signature will come back in about years time... I'm sure. The cost will go back to where it was OR probably be cheaper.

But one thing I feel that BMW/mini will lose the $7500 credit in 2023 if the new bill passes.

insightman likes this.
  17. Puppethead

The battery size limitation that iced out MINI from rebate (pun intended) was dropped from the reincarnated bill, but ironically MINI moving assembly to China will hit them as well. Overall though I think the changes will be good for general BEV adoption, assuming it passes.

PeppyPepper likes this.
  18. teslarati97

The key components are:
    (i) extracted or processed in any country with which the United States has a free trade agreement in effect, OR
    (ii) recycled in North America, is equal to or greater than the applicable percentage (as certified by the qualified manufacturer, in such form or manner as prescribed by the Secretary).

AND
    Final assembly in North America

Generally speaking, the battery and critical minerals part is easy with free trade agreements for South Korea & Australia. The final assembly in North America is the tricky part.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    MichaelC and insightman like this.
  19. insightman

The big question: Will the 2023 MINI Cooper SEs be the last SEs to be imported to the US? The CATL batteries would make even continuing to import the Oxford SEs a problem.

Texas22Step likes this.
  20. Puppethead

21. insightman

Would importing batteryless cars and then inserting US-maufactured CATL batteries made from South Korean or Australian minerals count as "final assembly?" That seems like the only hope for there to be a federal tax credit for the SE.

Texas22Step likes this.
  22. teslarati97

Possibly in the short term unless BMW can expand Plant Spartanburg or Plant San Luis Potosi to include MINI.

Final assembly is the complete vehicle (can be mechanically operated) rather being limited to the battery components. So you pretty much need a plant in North America to "insert" the batteries but that would be a waste of resources on the assembly process ESPECIALLY if it's a structural battery pack.

(5) FINAL ASSEMBLY.—For purposes of paragraph (1)(G), the term ‘final assembly’ means the process by which a manufacturer produces a new clean vehicle at, or through the use of, a plant, factory, or other place from which the vehicle is delivered to a dealer or importer with all component parts necessary for the mechanical operation of the vehicle included with the vehicle, whether or not the component parts are permanently installed in or on the vehicle.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    MichaelC and insightman like this.
  23. insightman

With all the money BMW is pouring into making electric MINIs in China, and with the very small numbers of MINI Cooper SEs sold in the US, I doubt BMW would spend the bucks to set up the final assembly of electric MINIs in the US.

Unless Kyrsten Sinema is withholding her IRA vote until the Senate changes the bill to qualify every electric MINI for the $7,500 federal tax credit, I believe the tax credit for the SE is toast (or at least in the toaster).

Texas22Step likes this.