2023 IONIQ 5 updated features

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Tony S, May 1, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tony S

Tony S Active Member

Based on the IONIQ Guy YouTube channel, some of the new upgrades include:
    1) Every model will come with battery heating & pre-conditioning system
    2) Seatbelt warning for all occupants in car
    3) Towing capacity is up to 2,000 pounds (unbraked ?)
    4) on “limited” Trim, rear view backup FDM camera system

I’d wait for these upgrades if you can. Don’t know when Hyundai will start producing the ‘23 models, and when can we get them in the US.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The comma in 2,00 made me curious enough to watch the video. The 1,650-lb towing capacity will be increased to 2,000 lbs.

I think the video rear-view mirror that will be available on the top trim is a lame way to compensate for the lack of a rear wiper. Hyundai should add a rear wiper for people who spend most of their time driving in the city, when aero-cleaning doesn't work and where the view out the rear window is even more important.

twospirits and Tony S like this.
  4. Tony S

Tony S Active Member

Thanks for the heads-up, I made the correction.

insightman likes this.
  5. Bommai

Bommai New Member

I also heard about slightly increased range to match up with the Kia ev6 and also better OTA software updates. Wonder if they are going to finally use USB-C and wireless CarPlay would be nice. Won’t make a difference for me since I already bought a 2022 model!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. michael-in-raleigh

michael-in-raleigh New Member

have you seen pics of the i6 yet?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

All you can see now are "spy photos" of camouflaged Ioniq 6 cars. Hyundai hasn't even set a date for unveiling the final design, much less when the car will go on sale, and much, much less, when the car might cross the ocean to North America.

Sadly, the camouflage can't conceal that the Ioniq 6 didn't inherit much, if any, beauty from its concept-car predecessor, the gorgeous Prophecy. However, even if it's not beautiful, the Ioniq 6 could still be a great EV car--an Ioniq 5 wearing a body for people who don't want a crossover. The Ioniq 6's body will certainly be more aerodynamic than that of the Ioniq 5, so with the same battery it will offer more range.

The Ioniq 6 "renderings" displayed on some websites and in YouTube videos must have been created before the camouflaged cars hit the streets because they don't reflect the parts of the test cars that aren't camouflaged.

Will Hyundai be the only company daring to offer a competitor for the Tesla Model 3?

9. BobS

BobS Active Member

Seems like the most needed improvement is missing. A car window wiper.

10. insightman

Although I agree a rear wiper is a glaring omission, I have to admit it hasn't hurt sales a bit.

Hyundai stubbornly believes a rear-view camera can take the place of a clear rear window. I think they missed a bet by not making a rear wiper an expensive option. Customers would, of course, complain about the price for an option that should be standard, but the company would make more money.

11. twospirits

twospirits New Member

NYC
    Since it took my previous Tucson to be created and delivered in 63 days and with some media outlets saying the 23MY will be available late summer early fall, I assume that they will start making the 2023 US version around June or July. Just hoping that it includes the DCM. At least that will compensate for a lack of a rear wiper.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Glenn Gore

Glenn Gore Member

None of these updates have come yet, anyone have any news on when they will?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

14. This latest upgrade should increase range and charging speed on AWD models, not sure if that includes 2023 model year. Upgrades for the front traction inverter to 800V from the existing 400V on all E-GMP models including Ionic 5 and 6, Kia EV6 and Genisis GV60;)

15. insightman

This Kona EV owner is unhappy he cannot defog the side windows and keep his feet warm at the same time. He has to choose either fogged side windows or freezing feet. Does the Ioniq 5 impose this same absurd limitation?

16. Even

Even New Member

Will this upgrade be made available to owners of the 2022 AWD models? Haven’t heard anything from Hyundai.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

17. insightman

How often do you hear from Hyundai?