2022 model sneak peek

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Lainey, Jan 26, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Domenick and GvilleGuy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

The automotive press has released their articles about the update. Looks like the SE is getting the same grill as the ICE versions.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/amp35311512/2022-mini-cooper-hardtop-convertible/
    [​IMG]
    While the Cooper Electric doesn’t get a price increase versus the previous model year, it now comes standard with an 8.8-inch touchscreen, a heated steering wheel, lane-departure warning, and more.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Toi and Lainey like this.
  4. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

The vents in the bumper are functional, and are supposed to create an "air curtain" around the front wheels. I wonder if that will have a measurable influence on range at highway speeds?

5. CuriousGeorge

Bigger screen on all models...cool!

I wonder if the SE will get black headlight trim rings like the S that is pictured?

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The new wheels look so awesome, and the new grill looks like it will allow badge mounts. I won't be buying new wheels, but I would like to replace the nose.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

GvilleGuy and Lainey like this.
  9. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Love those wheels. Dislike the grille still. Adding some of those features will be nice for some!

10. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Interesting changes - I'm okay with the new look. And definitely okay with heated steering wheel and lane departure. The new front end - I guess fog lights are goners. I think the new front end might look pretty cool on the SE, but I think for the ICE models they look more aggressive with more honeycomb grill surface.

I already emailed my salesman verifying if I can make changes to my order based on any of the new options once they are available.

EDIT: But the big question is: Will the new wheel and paint colors be available on the SE! They have shown a tendency to not make all options available for the electric.

MichaelC likes this.
  11. GvilleGuy

Oh - I'm not sure I like the new steering wheel controls - those look like finger print magnets, and a step backward in quality to me. And he said there are fewer buttons around the center console - not always a good thing when they digitize buttons.

New Steering Wheel.png

Texas22Step likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I have to agree with that. I like what I currently have for that.

To me many good, some not as good (I do use fog lights so that would be missed). I do think I am happier with 2021 but that's me as a previous 2016 Mini owner. Today it was change enough to deal with how auto wipers turned on :D

Texas22Step and Domenick like this.
  14. GvilleGuy

And the SE spotted in the video. I like the front.

New front end.png

Texas22Step likes this.
  15. GvilleGuy

I'm sorry for all the comments as I watch the video - ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL!

AndGuz and Toi like this.
  16. Puppethead

Lane departure warning seems kind of weak, and losing the fog lights is no good in my mind (I live in an area where fog is frequent). Maybe the "bad weather" lighting is next-generation and does away with the need for fog lights. I wonder if the new front end means rally lights could be mounted.

The new console software looks way different. Wonder if there'll be an upgrade for the 2020/2021 models. And does it include full-screen CarPlay? (Still no Android Auto, sorry.)

Domenick and GvilleGuy like this.
  17. CuriousGeorge

Please let there be blue! (Yes, this is the S, not the SE, but only difference I see is the mirror caps, which could be changed.)

Attached Files:

GvilleGuy likes this.
  18. ThatGreenGuy

ThatGreenGuy New Member

Heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise control with stop and go, and that blue (Island Blue?) shown on the SE... Assuming this is all offered on the SE, I'm sold.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  19. GvilleGuy

So, based on the video and the teaser page, it looks like a partial list of changes would be:
    • Two or three colors (is that blue available on the previous Cooper S?)
    • One or two new wheels
    • Three-tone roof color option (assume it's an option)
    • New front end and bumper to have more body color throughout
    • Fog lights gone, replaced with "bad weather light" - a new button
    • A new "adaptive suspension" (significantly increases the driving comfort while still being sporty)
    • Black badge, light rings, and door handles. It looks like chrome might still be available on badge and door handles. The video said they have de-chromed the headlight rings
    • New steering wheel with heating and piano finish buttons
    • New LED light ring with laser etched pattern around center console
    • Fewer center console buttons
    • 8.8" screen is standard
    • New software look and feel for center console including "Live Widgets"
    • New LED themes throughout the car including center console and dashboard, which can change with selecting driving mode
    • The look of the dashboard appears updated to me - probably the coloring of the different elements - looks good
    • Adaptive cruise control with auto stop and tap start
    • Lane departure warning
    • The union jack tail lights have a slightly darkened lens
    EDIT: And - @insightman 's mortal enemy is still sitting there on the hood. (I hope you know that is good-natured ribbing!)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Lainey likes this.
  20. CuriousGeorge

If it's not, I'd be tempted to get an ICE S. <gasp>

21. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

The heated steering wheel is the only thing that I think my 2021 is missing. I wonder, can I buy a 2022 steering wheel and install it on my car?

22. CuriousGeorge

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  23. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

The blue one in Torrey's post is an SE, it would be weird if they didn't sell that color after advertising it.

insightman likes this.