2022 Mini SE vs 2021 BMW I 3 ?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Rexsio, Oct 30, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

IMG_1077.jpeg BMW I 3 battery 42.2 KWh. 153 miles EPA range.Mini SE 32.6 KWh.114 EPA range .My old 2014 BMW I 3 21.6 KWh. 84 miles EPA range .I would like ask a forum members who own both in a past if is reasonable to replace SE I own 2022 8000 miles for 2021 I3 bc I see i3 as better choice to keep value and is no more produced but all carbon fiber body and cage will be no rust there ever . BMW I 3 base $45000 my SE $30000 and I still missing I3 which I like both.Any reasonable answers could sway my decision and I know about tires choices on both cars .I3s should shows on market after 3 years leases any time .i3 s is sportier version than I 3 .Any suggestions appreciated.On top of this I keep any of this cars I3or SE forever just bc of of my age and driving 4000 miles a year they should last for me long time. IMG_0959.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

MINI SE is a FWD i3s so you stay with the SE. Easier to find parts for the SE and harder to mount a front bull bar on the i3.

Rexsio likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The i3's tall, skinny tires didn't look like they'd be great for handling (and they're expensive without alternatives, too). I'm glad my SE inherited the more powerful motor from the i3s, but I wish my SE also had a carbon-fiber reinforced plastic body so it was as light as the i3.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  5. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

My wife really likes the looks of the i3, but even as a secondary vehicle, the tires are a bit of a concern. Otherwise, I would just follow your heart.

6. not at all familiar with the i3, but does it have the heat pump and the same battery management as the SE?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I3 was one of the first cars with heat pump which all SEs get it and the rest was accommodate from I3 and the engine in SE is rated 184 HP come from I3s sport

9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Doesn't the i3 actually have battery preconditioning (seems yes, but with restrictions)? I was sure MINI left that out of the SE because it was determined to be unnecessarily complex compared to liquid cooling for battery management.

10. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Yes the i3 has heating and cooling but it's R1234yf refrigerant unlike the water/glycol cooling like the SE.

Rexsio likes this.
  11. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Congrats for first snow

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Got 3" overnight :p, and the roads were covered in ice. But the SE with my snow tires (put on three days ago) handled great. Can't believe the timing was so close this season.

14. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

My SE is first car without snow tires as NY .is not getting a lot of snow recently I could be stack at home as retired for week but I still have 2 nd option using wife Subaru with Nokian WR G4 all weather tires .I own second set 16” with Hankooks summer I bought to install winter tires eventually.