2020 Kia Niro PHEV Charging Problem

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Rachel Foxton, Aug 21, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rachel Foxton

Rachel Foxton New Member

I have a 2020 Kia Niro PHEV and for the last three months have only been able to charge it using an extension cord. I know this is not recommended but I have no choice as I am temporarily renting. I have the Type 1 charger plugged into a 14A outdoor extension cord just outside my front door and then it is plugged in inside. The last couple of times I have charged it it keeps shutting of after a short time (maybe 30 minutes or a few % points of charge). If I just unplug the extension cord and then immediately plug it back in then it works again for another short while.
    even when it is no longer working the charger still shows power coming into it but not going out of it - according to the graphics on the face of it. I would like to know if this sounds like a problem with the charger, the extension cord (should I get a more heavy duty one?) or the house wiring)?
    I don’t know anything about wiring so please don’t use too many acronyms.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GeorgeT

GeorgeT New Member

You probably need a large gauge extension cord (especially if it's longer than 25 feet). Does your charger have a button on the back to adjust the charging current? The KIA branded one I have came with my car has 3 settings (12A, 10A, 8A). If yours has that feature, you could try running it at a lower amp setting. I run mine at 8A with a 12 gauge, 25' extension cord and have had no issues (so far) for 3 years.

4. StuartE

StuartE New Member

You described the result, but likely left out a number of symptoms. I had an experience using my Niro L1 EVSE with an extension cord, but it worked just fine when plugged into a stable outlet. The dealer was able to narrow in on the extension cord as being the problem, which they demonstrated by showing the different colour icons on the display that I hadn't noticed previously. BTW, the cord did work with my Smart L1 EVSE. If you must use an extension cord to charge, I suggest you beef that up with a high quality 12GA cord that is no longer than it needs to be. The plug and receptacle are the weak links on an extension cord, so you might cut the moulded ends off and replace them with high quality fittings.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022