12V for accessories

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Celtic Norseman, May 27, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Celtic Norseman

Celtic Norseman New Member Subscriber

I have a 2023 Kona Electric, US. The other day I was in the car, stopped in a parking lot in a meeting. I had my phone plugged in and was using the car speakers and microphone for the meeting. Then I got a warning, I believe because all the power was coming from the 12V battery.

My question is if the 12V can really be depleted this way, and why the system can't pull any power from the main 64kwh battery. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It will, if you keep it in "run" mode, or for longer duration use "utility" mode.
    Avoid shutting the car off and using "accessory" mode.

Kirk and Ferenc Jakab like this.
  4. Celtic Norseman

Celtic Norseman New Member Subscriber

I didn't know about utility mode, thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. For a meeting like you describe, I’d just leave it “running”. Slightly simpler than going into and out of utility mode and pretty much the same energy use. We do it all the time on 90 minute ferry rides where we live and it is hardly noticeable on remaining distance. But I use utility mode when I want to leave the dog in the car with either heat or cooling and be able to lock the doors. (Put it in utility mode, lock doors while inside using driver’s door, exit vehicle and then use physical key inside fob to lock and then later unlock).

electriceddy and KiwiME like this.