12v Battery trouble, tester/jumper for EVs?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Mark W, Jul 4, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Hi all,

I got hit with the multiple warnings on the dash the other day. Waited a while and it was okay after that. I have the original 12v in my 2018 Clarity, so I'm thinking replacing it should solve the issue hopefully? Costco has an Interstate replacement for $120, Walmart has one for $150. Any issues with either of those two? I have two other EVs, a Hyundai Ioniq and Chevy Bolt, and have had 12v issues with the Hyundai also.

I'm thinking of buying one of those battery jumper pack things that I could keep in the trunk. I would like one that will show be the current voltage/health of the battery when I connect it. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good one? Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The Costco battery has been mentioned in another thread and it reportedly offers a 7 year warranty, same as the pricier Honda battery.

Some jump packs, Jump and Carry for example, have a primitive analog volt meter. Those packs are bulky and heavy compared to the lithium options. I’d put that volt meter right next to useless. Pro tip: Get a lithium pack and a digital multimeter.

Mark W likes this.
  4. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    I went out this morning and put a 4 amp corded charger on it. The initial reading was 12.6. It quickly went up to 14.1 within a minute or so. Does that say anything about the battery health?

5. Not really. It indicates that the charger is putting out 14.1V.

The battery in the Clarity is not used to start the engine. A measurement of CCA’s, for instance, would largely be irrelevant in our case. What would indicate a healthy battery for the Clarity is a battery that can accept and hold a charge.

Mark W likes this.