12 mm spacers and new tires

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Mini Monster, Sep 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mini Monster

Mini Monster New Member

32099063-F6F7-42E5-86AC-9AAE5267D63E.jpeg 2022 Mini Cooper SE: Windows tinted at 20% in back and 30% front and also a clear bra the front of car w/PPF. Also 12 mm spacers all around with 215/50/17 to make wheels flush and fill the big fender gap.
    Ride is much softer with the slightly higher sidewall and all season tires.

Only downside is the speedometer will be off by 2mph give or take. So 45mph is really 47 mph

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Most have found the speedometer to read 2mph slow from the factory so it sounds like yours will now be spot on!

Todd Swift and Mini Monster like this.
  4. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

What tires were on it previously?

The speedometer can be adjusted in the hidden service mode. I think they call it the "correction factor."

Todd Swift likes this.
  5. Mini Monster

Mini Monster New Member

205/45/17

Todd Swift likes this.
  6. Carsten Haase

That's actually a lot bigger of an increase in diameter than I thought... I'm considering slightly larger diameter tires as well to deal with the dirt roads around here.

Have you noticed any rubbing during sharp turns or on large bumps?

Todd Swift likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mini Monster

Mini Monster New Member

If you go with just higher sidewall like 205/50/17 you won’t need any spacers and no rubbing. I went 215/50/17 so I ran 12 mm spacers. No rubbing at all over speed bumps or sharp turns.

Link to the items…….

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0834KBW5M?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ED4WP4I?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Majesty+9+Solus+TA91&partnum=15WR7TA91XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    Todd Swift and Carsten Haase like this.
  9. Carsten Haase

@Mini Monster Have you noticed any significant decrease in range with the larger/wider tires? Would you be able to share any other pictures? Directly from the front to show how flush they are and directly from the side to show how they fill the wheel wells would be very much appreciated!

10. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

If you haven't seen my old thread on spacers, it answers some of your questions. Cheers!
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/wheel-spacers-on-the-se.9829/

11. Carsten Haase

Thanks! I did actually find that (and used it as a reference for my target offset).

From what I can find in the numerous different wheel threads:
    • Offset has a minimal effect on range (from your thread)
    • Tire choice has a huge effect on range (from MichaelC combined with your result to remove the effects of offset change)
    • Wheel width/tire width has a small effect on range (also MichaelC)
    Too bad tire manufacturers don't publish rolling resistance of their tires because that seems more important than size/width/offset/wheel choice

MichaelC and F14Scott like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Based on my experience with the low rolling resistance tires on my 3 Insight hybrids and my Clarity Plug-In Hybrid, I'm willing to sacrifice a few miles of range to achieve the fabulous handling I get from the Summer performance Hankooks that MINI put on my SE. Every time I read about forum members upgrading their tires, I wonder how hard they drive their MINI Cooper SEs because I drive pretty hard and never reach the stock tires' limits.

14. Carsten Haase

The stock tires are not bad (fantastic compared to eco tires!) but do seem to have a soft-ish sidewall and some delayed turn in compared to the summer tires I've used previously (in California). It may not be about the absolute limit of grip but how it responds.

I'd personally keep the stock tires but summer tires aren't great with the weather swings in fall/spring here. It's getting to be freezing in the morning and 70+ in the afternoon... Too hot for winters but also too cold for summers so I need all season tires unfortunately.

MichaelC and insightman like this.
  15. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

I don't think you're sacrificing much (if any) range with the Hankooks. The EU tyre labels for the 205/45R17 Ventus S1 evo3 (88W) and the 195/55R16 Ventus Prime3 (87W) show they have a rolling resistance/fuel efficiency rating of 'A', which is the most efficient. Interestingly, those same tire models have different ratings depending on size, load index, and speed rating.

It is possible to have a tire with both low rolling resistance and great handling performance. Unfortunately, it seems like tire manufacturers are focusing on 19" sizes or larger for EV-specific tuning.

16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

After driving two gen-1, 70-mpg Honda Insights with hard, un-sticky tires for 20 years, the traction the Hankooks provide blew me away. It's amazing if tire technology has improved to the point where my Hankooks can match the low rolling resistance of those eco-Bridgestone Potenza 92 tires (which are still being sold).

MichaelC likes this.