"10 Reasons Why The Mini Cooper SE Is The Perfect Electric City Car"

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Texas22Step, May 28, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Very good article for those out there who still don't "get it" re: the Mini SE ...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Quibbling on the order:

The article's order:
    1. Incredible Sound System
    2. Unique 'Green' Touches
    3. Compact But Comfortable Interior
    4. Incredible Handling
    5. One Pedal Driving
    6. Hatchback Versatility
    7. The Perfect Size For The Urban Jungle
    8. DC Quick Charging Compatible
    9. A Low Starting Price
    10. The Perfect Amount Of Range

My order:
    0. Great acceleration
    1. Incredible Handling
    2. One Pedal Driving
    3. The Perfect Size For The Urban Jungle
    4. Hatchback Versatility
    5. Compact But Comfortable Interior
    6. DC Quick Charging Compatible
    7. A Low Starting Price
    8. Incredible Sound System*
    9. The Perfect Amount Of Range**
    10. Unique 'Green' Touches***

* The lowest-price model doesn't get the fully incredible sound system
    ** More like the perfect balance of range/weight/exterior size/interior space
    *** for 2022, MINI's designers have pulled back on the electric look to favor the ICE-MINI look (larger grille, retained bonnet scoop, fewer MINI E logos, less Energetic Yellow color)

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  4. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I'd personally put handling first and price 3rd but definitely agree about #10. I don't get why car designers don't understand most people just want an EV that looks like a regular car!

5. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

It isn't clear to me that the article's author listed the items in any particular order of priority (or his view of relative importance). When I first read it I read it just as a list of 10 items to correspond to the article's title, not a countdown ordering of some sort.

That said, your ordered listing looks good to me, although I might have ranked "A low starting price" higher than 7\10 because IMHO affordability will sell way more BEVs than fancy features or super long-range and will be the key to successful widespread adoption of EVs over time (unless, of course, government mandates enter or other hard-to-resist government $ incentives make ICE vehicles much, much less attractive.

6. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

I would put the price high up on the list as well. Many of us can't afford (or would not be willing to pay) the much higher price of an EV with more range (like Tesla Model 3). The fact that this is a MINI (which I've wanted for years but wasn't practical or made economic sense) is the best part of all, and as an EV that (after Federal tax credit) is more affordable than many ICE options, the MINI SE is a no brainer (at least for me). Can't wait to get mine!

GetOffYourGas, flynnguy and GvilleGuy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

It was not a bulleted ("unordered" in HTML) list, it was a numbered ("ordered") list. And revealing the list in a count-down fashion only further emphasized his priorities. His priorities are just different than mine, but it was a good article--thanks for bringing it to us.

I won't quibble with others' quibbles about my order, but I'll certainly quibble about the author leaving off Great Acceleration. Perhaps his personal car is the performance version of a Tesla car, so the SE's acceleration seems unremarkable to him.

9. flynnguy

flynnguy New Member

My order:

0. Great acceleration
    1. Incredible Handling
    2. A Low Starting Price
    3. One Pedal Driving
    4. Compact But Comfortable Interior
    5. DC Quick Charging Compatible
    6. Incredible Sound System
    7. Hatchback Versatility
    8. The Perfect Amount Of Range
    9. The Perfect Size For The Urban Jungle
    10. Unique 'Green' Touches

But honestly, I think a lot of people overlook cost as a barrier to entry to a lot of people. I've been interested in getting an electric car for some time now but honestly the cost is a big factor as to why I haven't. To get the cheapest Tesla (the model 3) you are still looking at a minimum of $40k to get one or up to about $58k. I'm sure it's a nice car, for that price it better be, but it's still out of reach for most people. The mini on the other hand, starts at just under $30k and even adding all the options, I think you're still under the $40k starting price of the Tesla. Add in the tax credit and spec the tesla to what you'd probably want and you are probably looking at walking away with the mini for about 1/2 the cost of the Tesla.

Again, I'm not bashing on the model 3, I'm sure it's a great car and it's not an apples to apples comparison but it's supposed to be Tesla's "affordable" option?

Newkirk likes this.
  10. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Mine

1. Handling
    2. Acceleration
    3. One Pedal Driving
    4. Compact But Comfortable Interior
    5. Incredible Sound System
    6. A Low Starting Price
    7. Hatchback Versatility
    8. The Perfect Size For The Urban Jungle
    9. Unique 'Green' Touches
    10. The Perfect Amount of Range
    11. DC Quick Charging Compatible

I wanted a Green vehicle for sure and price was a driving point but only in convincing my husband this was financially a good idea. Range was absolutely not. Nor was charging speed. I wanted a fun, quick, comfortable car. One pedal driving was a need when ditching my manual. The rest... not so much.

insightman likes this.
  11. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

The order of this list much better. Only thing I wish is that they adopted the RWD from the i3

Dan

F14Scott and Carsten Haase like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Being in a snowy place, I prefer driving on FWD to RDW in snow but I get the draw to RWD. That for me, is not a necessity though.

insightman likes this.
  14. miatadan

If you have good quality tires ( Nokian ) in the winter on RWD , with an 50/50 weight ratio than FWD not much of a factor.

GetOffYourGas and Lainey like this.
  15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Does RWD still stand out in an EV with 50/50 weight distribution? I've been wondering if FWD has as much downside in an EV. There isn't a lot of torque steering with the SE.

Lainey likes this.
  16. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

My personal opinion is RWD will always be better just because of the physics of tire grip and weight transfer.

The feeling of rolling on the throttle out of a corner in my Miata is something I haven't experienced in any FWD or AWD car. Tight turns from a stop sign or sweeping corners it just stays so composed with no understeer and just a hint of of the back stepping out if I really push it.

Hoping I won't miss that too much with the Mini but I can't imagine it'll be quite the same.

miatadan likes this.
  17. miatadan

Almost every car I purchased except 1 has been RWD because of the physics of tire grip and weight transfer. I owned 3 different Miata's over the year.

In the lower priced EV's I believe the ID4 will be better driving experience because of the RWD.

Those who only driven FWD and AWD, will not understand this.

Dan

Carsten Haase likes this.
  18. insightman

Mazda needs to get on the battery brigade and create a Miata contender for most-fun compact, sporty EV. The SE has the niche all to itself right now and I don't know of any impending competitors.

It will be very interesting to see how Porsche biases the weight vs. range balance in the rumored electric Boxster (or whatever forgettable name Porsche calls their least-expensive convertible now). It will cost more than $29,900, I suspect.

19. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Yeah the mini is competent and fun, but I much prever RWD for driver feel or a well done AWD for the best of both. When filled with snow, my steep driveway spits out typical FWD cars like they are toys, regardless of tires. Just park them at the bottom. Plenty of compromises.

20. insightman

I've never found a hill too steep for my FWD cars with winter tires (but I've never tried your driveway). I don't believe anyone has claimed FWD gives a better driver feel than RWD, but it's an acceptable compromise for me. My SE would kick the butt of any of the small RWD sports cars I've owned in the past.

21. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

In the poorest of weather, a driver with excellent skill sometimes can tame the driveway with FWD. I did with some effort. But then I was the guy that drove his rear drive open axle cars into hunting camps where others with 4WD trucks had to walk in.

The driveway is steep off the street before leveling off, difficult to get any running start. Then its steep enough that weight is shifted rearward off the FWD driving wheels before you can build up any momentum. So RWD does a little better with less drama (more control) in this very specific case. Our old 69 VW Beetle with the auto stick, wouldn't notice the slope unless it got high centered. Its combo of a torque converter, narrow snow tires, and no power made it an amazing snow machine, but not much fun otherwise (in stock form) :).

Now days when we have to get out and about in the nastiest of weather we have a high end Jeep. I like not rescuing a car that the spouse parked sideways across the driveway, or get out to snow blow in the middle of the night.

Lots of compromises and personal preferences for sure. I love the way the Mini sticks to the road, with little body lean, the power and maneuverability on city streets. I like little cars. The torque steer when pushing it is my only annoyance. I was shopping for a second car, something small, two seats, fun to drive, much less than $50K. Fitting into my narrow carport would be a plus. Doesn't seem anyone builds those any more. The Miata was actually a little wide for a comfortable fit. I liked the styling and performance of the Fiat version a little better but that was discontinued. Anyway, the mini came closest, having plenty of great features.

GetOffYourGas and insightman like this.
  22. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I've been reading from some reviewers the ID.4 is a disappointing EV driving experience, apparently VW has done something to it to emulate the ICE performance curve. I think that means slow, hesitant acceleration.

You know, it would be nice if someone who has access to the i3 and the SE to do a handling comparison, since those are probably the two closest types of EVs with RWD/FWD dichotomy. I'm skeptical of the "weight transfer" being much of an issue with the 50/50 weight distribution, and while I grant rear tire grip would be somewhat better is it by just how much? And does the MINI's aggressive traction control get taken into account?

23. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

ID.4 is nice to drive, but it's still a CUV. Coming from EVs I found the power to be a weak point.

I'm also a fan of the i3, but for driving I think the Mini is just a lot more fun. I normally hate FWD cars too. Did a couple back-to-back drives of the i3 and Mini and was always happy with my choice. Some day I would like to add an i3 to the stable. :)

Also +1 to the sound system. The HK system is quite nice!