'09 to '13 Silverado/Sierra Hybrid. Any ideas on upgrading to plug-in?

Discussion in 'Chevrolet' started by TTXGPFAN, Feb 14, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TTXGPFAN

TTXGPFAN New Member

Hey all,

Not a lot of info on these trucks. Not much to say other than normal 6.0L Vortec issues, and battery packs seem good for at least 150,000 miles. But by 200,000 miles most packs need replacing. Nothing else seems to have any reliability issues. My wife is DESPERATE to buy a truck and camper after we sell our house. We thought we had settled on an F-150 because of the second-row room for the kids. But then, randomly, I stumbled across these used hybrid trucks. As we own a 2020 Bolt, she became obsessed.

Well, now I'm obsessed with figuring out if I can upgrade it to a plug-in hybrid. It seems no one has tried that with these Silverados. I want to figure out costs so I can see if we can get one cheap enough to have enough left for the upgrade.

Our situation is perfect for one of these trucks. She drives only in town for her job. And we want it for hauling the camper. We will be renting out the camper for a side hustle, so we could be towing it as much as 2X a week.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to check on info upgrading something like this to a plug-in hybrid? It seems like converting hybrids to plug-ins with bigger packs was a very short-lived thing.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

CalCars did a lot of work to make the original Prius into a PHEV, but now that PHEVs are ubiquitous, CalCars is defunct and doesn’t do retrofits.