Torque Pro on the Kona - overview and setup for interested owners

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by KiwiME, Sep 26, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Sure, here you go. Screenshot_20191222-073325_Soul EV Spy Lite.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. So presumably your EVSE can supply 40 amps, which corresponds to the 66.5% duty cycle. The current value provided however is presumably just that maths conversion as we know the OBC is limited to 35 A.
    Thanks for checking that. Are the addressing details visible for the duty cycle parameter so I could try that on TP?
    This is what I have:

#002_OBC_Pilot_Duty_Cycle
    Pilot_Duty
    r/3
    A

4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

The EVSE is a Juicebox Pro that can supply up to 40A.

Finding the commands should be easy. The source to SoulEVSpy can be found here:

https://github.com/langemand/SoulEVSpy

If you happen to have Android Studio, I imagine that you could build the thing yourself. I happen to have these things - I might try that myself if I get spare time, but it isn't a high priority.

Rather than study the source, the author has a spreadsheet that lists the commands that he is using.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YYlZ-IcTQlz-LzaYkHO-7a4SFM8QYs2BGNXiSU5_EwI/edit#gid=234054559

After charging to 80%, my battery cell voltage is now 3.94 V.

5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Source here:
    https://github.com/langemand/SoulEVSpy/blob/master/app/src/main/java/com/evranger/soulevspy/obd/commands/OnBoardChargerCommand.java

public OnBoardChargerCommand() {
    addCommand(new BasicCommand("AT SH 7DF"));
    addCommand(new BasicCommand("AT CRA 79C"));
    mCmd2102 = new BasicCommand("21 02");
    addCommand(mCmd2102);
    mCmd2102.addResponseFilter(new RegularExpressionResponseFilter("^79C(.*)$"));
    // mCmd2101.addResponseFilter(new RemoveSpacesResponseFilter());
    }

[...]

int duty_cycle = obdData2.getDataByte(7);
    vals.set(R.string.col_obc_pilot_duty_cycle, Double.valueOf(duty_cycle/3.0));

6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Not necessarily Kona-related, but can someone describe the means in Torque
    to send a custom PID and get a hex-dump of the FULL response? Is there
    some magic equation syntax that returns and displays all the bytes in an
    ISO-TP response [with or without headers]?

Presumably useful for some reverse-engineering, etc.

_H*

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

SoulEVLite works with my Vgate dongle - gives correct values for anything I recognize...

9. I was able to get it working as well with the common blue dongle but it didn't seem to update properly. The AC charging amps as I feared appears to be simply a calculation off the duty cycle rather than actually measured. Konnwei KW902 on order now...

hieronymous likes this.
  10. robxb

robxb Active Member

Thanks for making this thread @KiwiME. I have some questions that some of you may have the answers to.

I am having some trouble recording 0-*km/h times. Anyone else? I have logging enabled, and have both the 0-100kph and the 0-30mph enabled. Though I have never seen a "best" recorded, on the screen or in the logs. I'm wondering if the 0-30mph would even work since my Kona is configured in km/h and not mph. Anyone know how to create a custom PID to measure, say, a 0-50km/h time instead of the 0-30mph that's available by default? Anyone know why the 0-100 wouldn't be working?

I am also having trouble seeing any changes in the below PIDs. They have a minimum and maximum value of 0 or 1, translating to on or off, though none of them have turned on. I assume they are for level 1, level 2, and "level 3" CCS charging, though when I have plugged in my charger at home, I haven't seen either of the first ones enabled (haven't tried a CCS yet)
    000_Normal Charge Port
    000_Rapid Charge Port
    000_HV_Charging

Finally, does anyone know if there's a way to see how many kWh the battery is truly holding when it's charged up to 100%? The battery is supposed to hold something like 68kWh or so to help with the degradation that generally happens within the first year. I'm wondering if there's any way to measure that. Perhaps a custom PID with SOC BMS? I think I'll charge to 100% tonight and try to play around with it, depending what the results are

11. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the acceleration timing nor the status PIDs.

As for the battery capacity there seem to be many guesses and few facts. The pack is advertised by Hyundai in their service data (VIN page) as 180 Ah and 356 V which equates to 64,080 Wh. We know that the pack is manufactured by LG CHem and has a Hyundai warranty. We also know there is a hidden SoC_bms reading (revealed using Torque Pro) which lags the dashboard SoC reading. Various owners report that lag is between zero near 0% SoC_disp and around 3 to 6% at 100% SoC_disp.

In my opinion (and probably many others) Hyundai would have specified in their RFQ a "64 kWh battery for an EV application" that maintained a minimum capacity for a certain minimum time period or charge cycles. It would be up to the vendor (LG Chem in this case) to figure out how to respond to that most economically, taking everything into consideration. It's seems logical that LG Chem would have chosen to start with a slightly "larger" capacity battery but then only allocate a 64 kWh portion that shifts within the base capacity to obtain the required minimum lifetime. The BMS would be in charge of that, noting that it is contained inside the battery pack housing.

But, as far as Hyundai themselves are concerned it's still a 64 kWh battery, but one that meets a certain minimum warrantied lifetime in an EV application. Furthermore, as Hyundai's customers I believe the same applies. It's really none of our business because the "additional capacity" is not accessible on a casual basis, and I would be worried that there is an inference or perception that the battery is larger than advertised when it really isn't.

What is useful however is to understand the state of health of a particular battery pack. No one that I know of has so-far seen anything less than 100% in the Torque Pro PID providing that SoH value. It would follow from the assumptions above that the SoC_bms would eventually match the SoC_disp as the battery deteriorates.

I hate to use this phrase "I read somewhere", but I did, that you need to charge from under 20% to 100% to get a useful SoH reading. I've never tried it myself.
    Another option might be to measure the available capacity using the CED and CEC readings (in kWh) then driving between 100% and 0%, or as close as practical to that and then extrapolating. This formula would reveal the current available capacity to within about 1 kWh, assuming no large non-linearities near the end points.

( ΔCED - ΔCEC ) / ΔSoC_disp = Current available capacity in kWh

In my opinion these CE* values must be measured accurately because I'm certain they are used to provide a stable real time SoC readout. That in itself is a fascinating subject that I was going to discuss later in this thread.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Just getting started with this on the Kona EV. I used Torque Pro on my old Volt, which displayed real time kW on the dashboard. It's nice to be able to see it on the Kona.

Is anyone displaying the standard Torque Pro Speed gauge? It's not working for me - it shows "Speed 0 km/h" even though the units setting is miles, and it stays at 0.

The title can be changed. Long press the gauge, then "Display configuration ..."

I've seen mention of security concerns, particularly if a dongle uses a fixed pairing code like 0000 or 1234 and the dongle is left plugged in when the car is unattended.

14. hieronymous

Most default Torque Pro pids don't work with the Kona.

If you know about Torque Pro .csv files, then the following pids will be helpful. Dump them in a text editor with no formatting, save in .csv format, copy to the /torque/extendedpids folder on your phone, then add the folder to Torque using /Settings/Manage_extra_Pids/Sensors/Add_predefined_set. They are based on the notion of EV's having direct drive from the motor, not via a gearbox. A suitable multiplier/divider will provide mph.

006_Speedometer_Check,Speed,,((VAL{000_Drive Motor Speed 1}*60)/7.981))/484.4,0,200,kph,
    006_Average_Speed,AvgSpeed,,tavg(3600:VAL{006_Speedometer_Check}),0,100,kph,
    006_Trip_Distance Trip,Trip/km,,TOT(3600:VAL{006_Speedometer_Check}),0,500,kms,

15. I think you meant "... then add the file to Torque ..." :)

Just to add for eNiro owners, that according to specs that vehicle has a different gear ratio, 8.206

16. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

There are a few simpler ways to transfer files between devices. I ended up using Google Drive. But the easiest way is to e-mail them to yourself.

Here's a pretty good video tutorial on setting up Torque Pro for the Niro.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  17. Thanks - that works.

Apparently the units preferences don't apply to custom PIDs, so I made this change to get MPH:

006_Speedometer_Check,Speed,,((VAL{000_Drive Motor Speed 1}*60)/(7.981*1.609)))/484.4,0,100,mph,

Plugging my Android into my Windows PC, I was able to drag and drop the file over. But the PC doesn't show the .torque folder even though "show hidden" is selected, so I had to move the file there using a File Manager app.

18. hieronymous

Cloud storage is the quickest method. With Dropbox I have Torque Pro updated in less than a minute from saving the computer file.

19. I got my obd2 reader yesterday. Got it going pretty quickly other than that I had to save a custom pid first because the .torque folder wasn't created at all before that.

20. hieronymous

The /Torque folder or the /Torque/extendedpids subfolder? I assume you mean the latter, a nice way to do it. I have mostly not had to do this with Samsung models - maybe it's phone related?

21. Nope, for some weird reason it was the top folder named .torque

22. Here's Torque Pro on Android Auto using the experimental plug-in app.

Android Auto - Kona EV Downhill.JPG
    As best I can recall, the steps are:
    1. Download and install the XDA Labs app from the XDA Labs site. To install, move the .apk file to your phone, navigate to it in the File Manager, open it and follow the prompts.
    2. I'm doing this from memory, but you probably should create an account in the XDA Labs app and log in, so it knows you when you buy the OBD2 app.
    3. In the XDA Labs app home page, touch XDA Labs, then Apps, then search for OBD2 for AA and install it. You'll have to buy it for $1.99.
    4. Run Torque Pro so your custom gauges will be available to the OBD2 AA app.
    5. Set up your gauges in the OBD2 AA app. Don't panic when you see the PID field, just tap it for a list of Torque Pro sensors.
    6. Start your car and plug in your phone and OBD2 dongle. Make sure Torque Pro is running.
    7. On your display, select Android Auto, find the OBD2 AA app and run it
    That should do it, unless I left something out, which I probably did since this is mostly from memory. So let me know if it works, and if these instructions need to be edited.

(Edit: The developer says it will work this way in a non-rooted device. If you are rooted you need to install the OBD2 app from the Play Store and set it not to update before installing the real version.)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    apu, SkookumPete and KiwiME like this.
  23. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Regarding step 5, the displays (gauges) in Torque are not sent to the screen? You in effect have a different set in AA? Or are you choosing only from gauges in use by Torque?