99% Charged

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Paddy, Oct 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paddy

Paddy Member

Lately my HondaLink always shows my battery status is 99% charged although the charging is already finished and the notification is received. I suspect it is full but just doesn’t update the app. But I couldn’t find a way to update it to 100%. Not a real problem. Just a bit annoying...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

In case helpful to confirm: Yep, same thing with my Clarity. It happens to me on a regular but not predictable basis. If you start thinking of either 99% or 100% as "done charging" -- it really means the same thing. It is odd that it sometimes doesn't hit 100% though.

I suspect there's several measurements the car does for electric range/battery and they are not all the same. i.e. I think the EV range estimate we see is quite different from what the car uses internally to detect full-charge etc. I've also come to believe folks who say the EV estimated range is variable. Someone in this forum told me about how one can auto-set the A trip meter to whenever one last charged. From there you can see actual mileage in realtime while driving since last charge and do some simple math in you head to add actual mileage estimated EV range remaining. Anyway, doing this over a period of time sort of helps me understand how the EV range estimates work. For example, when I go down my hill, I travel 5 miles to work, and only use 2 miles of EV range. This causes the estimator (when I'm on the valley floor to go higher temporarily). And if I look after going up my hill, my actual 5 miles home uses like 8-10 miles of estimated range-- and again the EV estimator adjusts the other way.

So while I find the EV estimates to be reasonable, they are definitely not deterministic. i.e. there are times as you might guess when estimated EV range goes to 0 on my car and I'm clearly still using electric only (I run with the graphic in the center console). And the reverse can also be true.

So anyway, the reason I mention this is that one can safely ignore these estimates and just enjoy driving the car. The estimates are ball-park correct but definitely aren't always true.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

KentuckyKen likes this.
  5. Candice

Candice Active Member

From May to November (in Buffalo, NY) I can charge to 100%. Once temps fall to the 40s, I can only charge to 99%.

MPower likes this.