Taking Pre-Orders in Canada

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by MCSqrd, Jul 6, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Website says they have 7!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. EnerG

EnerG Active Member

There may have been a few delivered. My Scrap-It came through so I took delivery this week.

4. I know I sound like a whiny broken record but it really rots my socks that there's walk-up inventory on lots while I (we) sit car-less after nearly 8 months of waiting.

Brennan Raposo and Wayne Warde like this.
  5. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

I agree totally. I don't even want to think about Hyundai and their customer relations as it makes me still want to walk away from my order due to these situations with people walking in and getting a car while we have been waiting since July.

Wildeyed likes this.
  6. Canada Dan

Canada Dan Member

Very understandable feelings. However, every walk-up inventory is an order that was cancelled. Placing a pre-order committed the dealership to receiving the car, not you from cancelling your pre-order. A cancelled order leaves a car on that dealer's lot - sold by Hyundai Canada to the dealer. I'm not sure what else could be done in this situation - can't blame the dealership for wanting to sell the car. Hyundai Canada could have avoided this by maintaining ownership and transferring cancellations elsewhere, but I think every pre-ordered car for Canada is either in owners' hands, at dealers waiting to be picked up, at the port in Vancouver waiting for distribution, or on a ship headed here - apparently none are still in Korea. (Though this is information from a couple of different dealerships, not official word from Hyundai). I think they need to improve the distribution logistics once cars have been offloaded from the ships at Annacis Island. My car was sitting 400km from me for a few weeks.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I understand all of this. It doesn't ease the feelings. All of these issues are the fault of Hyundai. Their sales relationship with their dealers is of their making. Cancellations are largely the result of their delays in pricing. Had they priced early the bulk of cancellations would have happened before the cars were built or shipped, saving untold $$. As you noted, had they any control of their inventory any "cancelled" cars could be reallocated to waiting list customers satisfying customer demand. Had they shipped early cars from east to west the deliveries would have been virtually simultaneous across the country with trains /trucks arriving at their eastern destinations as new ships arrived at port in the west. It's like they have no logistics people working for them. Anyway, it is what it is. I fear that if and when I get the car it's going to be tainted for a very long time with the stink of this experience. And my relationship with my dealer will be similarly harmed. I've spent the last 6 years hating my Fiat dealer because of similar circumstances and I'd really hoped to have a fresh start with this one. It's clearly not in the cards.

9. Canada Dan

Canada Dan Member

Yep, I feel for you there, and I've been there myself when I bought my previous car. These experiences do stick with you, souring what should otherwise be an exciting moment. I'm trying to not let the interior colour screw-up affect my feelings on this purchase too much.

Wildeyed likes this.
  10. Brennan Raposo

Brennan Raposo Well-Known Member

I suggest you call around for canceled orders. Tell the dealer you’re sick of waiting and demand your deposit back if you find one. That’s precisely what I did. Got the car I wanted months before “mine” would be “ready” according to my original dealer. You are the customer and therefore hold all of the power. :)

Wildeyed likes this.
  11. Burnaby Tom

Burnaby Tom Member

I placed my order July 12, white with dark interior. Picked it up yesterday p.m. @ OpenRoad Boundary.

I feel for everyone still waiting and getting bad or erroneous info from your dealer or Hyundai but be patient give it a few more days (hopefully not weeks) and trust me it will all be worth it. This Kona EV is amazing! :) There will be a fair bit of learning for myself with all the tech in the car - I've been driving a '92 4Runner for about 20 years - but the actual driving is awesome. I read the manual for a bit, played with some of the settings but I just can't stop myself from driving it long enough to learn more about it. I've given several people rides & they've all been very impressed (and jealous of the seat bum warmers!).

Patience, deep breathing, soothing music, yoga, whiskey, wine, beer - do whatever it takes to get your mind off the delivery fiasco ;)....when you get your Kona just drive it and you'll forget all about the wait.

Wildeyed, CJC, Domenick and 4 others like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I'm keeping my eyes open but haven't seen any with the light interior yet. If I found one I'd probably move on it. Also they appear to have only gotten as far as South Western Ontario so far.

14. Congrats on getting the car! Hope you'll leave your initial impressions in this thread.

15. I note that Hyundai USA has announced its Kona EV pricing just as their order books open. What an idea.

Wayne Warde and Domenick like this.
  16. I got through to a human at Hyundai Customer Service this morning and she tracked my VIN. She reports that it is in port at Vancouver and SHOULD arrive in 2 to 3 weeks. If that does indeed happen it'll officially be more than 8 months of waiting. (This is after 2 unanswered emails to my dealer asking for an update.)

17. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

You are ahead of us. Our latest report says our car will arrive in port the first week of February. Heaven knows how long it will sit before they take it to the dealership.

18. Given past experience I'm taking everything with a big grain of salt. On a boat and in port and in transit all mean the same thing anyway: Not yet.

19. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

I don't even want to think about the guff we have been fed during this wait. We don't even have a VIN so I am not expecting that our July 10th order is even built. I have no faith now.

Wildeyed likes this.
  20. I hear ya.

21. chilleeves

chilleeves New Member

Anyone in the lower mainland who hasnt gotten a date yet might want to check out Murray Hyundai. I was on their website today to get their phone number to get everything ready for Thursday and was browsing their inventory and they have 19 Kona Electrics as in stock on their inventory page.

Wayne Warde likes this.
  22. 19! Unbelievable. And only one listed with the light interior. We'll, it looks like BC is going to be well supplied anyway.

Wayne Warde likes this.