Tire Repair Kit

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by zbartrout, Mar 17, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks! I ordered instantly after reading your post. I wasn't interested in anything but an exact-fit replacement, so I really appreciate you doing the hard work for me, @Johnhaydev. I paid 18 cents less for shipping from California to Michigan instead of Massachusetts. For some reason, they didn't charge sales tax, but I bet they do for California customers.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

I guess I didn't beat the avalanche of orders that descended upon HondaPartsNow after @Johnhaydev's post.

upload_2024-2-21_20-2-47.png

4. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

Thanks for this information! I just placed my order, and it’s coming next week. I guess they stocked up for all the 2018 replacement orders. I added a tire plug kit a few weeks ago after reading all the comments about these patch kits and how relatively unreliable they are. Luckily after 50k miles I haven’t needed to find out for myself. Next up are replacement tires because the OEMs are wearing out.

insightman likes this.
  5. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

Posted too soon. Order cancelled today as part is discontinued. I’ll have to look elsewhere.

6. Has anyone tried an expired kit to see if it works as well and one that isn’t expired?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I will be ordering the Slime refill that looks like the OEM one. Will post the result once I get it next week.

insightman likes this.
  9. izudin

izudin Member

MA
  10. izudin

izudin Member

MA
    Just received the order cancellation email, with the explanation "the product is on National back-order at American Honda".

11. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

Got my Slime refill. I have good news and bad news to report.
    Bad news:
    The Slime bottle is skinnier and longer then the OEM bottle. That means it wont fit the OEM pump.
    Good news:
    made by the same company, same milky liquid, same cap/valve( except color),hose. The cap can be unscrewed. So i unscrew the new and old. Pour out the old liquid from the OEM bottle and fill it with the new liquid. I also replaced the cap/valve/hose with the new one.
    Slime refill cost about $25. OEM $63+shipping.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

The OEM slime kit I ordered arrived today (perhaps the last one HondaPartsNow could get?). I paid $65.60 + $12.66 s&h, but the big bucks replacement came with this neat new Honda pictogram sticker set:

upload_2024-3-5_20-43-49.png

upload_2024-3-5_20-44-28.png

I was happy the bottle is so easy to replace. The cover slides off easily after removing the power cord from its cavity. Then, after threading the hose out through the hole in the case, you just tilt the bottle all the way up to disengage the connection locking tab and pull the bottle away from the compressor connection on the right.

Does anyone want my 6-year old, never-used OEM bottle of slime? I'll toss it next week unless someone PMs me first.

14. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

Whats the expiration date on it? I hope it is not an old one.

15. insightman

The "old" one I'm willing to donate from my November, 2017, Clarity is the one on the left in my photo with the "EXP 02/2024" sticker on it. So it officially expired last month, but I don't know it the carriage turned into a pumpkin on the 29th. Interestingly, I didn't see an expiration sticker on the replacement bottle, so I made one up that says "EXP 03/2030."

16. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

MY2018 bought in Dec 2017. I believe the repair kit would still work if only I could get the fitting to thread onto the valve stem. I believe I probably didn't follow the instructions closely enough and should not have turned on the compressor before having the fitting fully threaded on.

If the valve stem were longer such that I could grip it gently with pliers while turning the hose fitting on, I believe I could likely get it threaded far enough on to engage. But threading with fingers far enough was impossible once under pressure.

This past weekend, I had a piece of metal puncture a tire and when I attempted to screw the plastic/metal shrader fitting of the repair kit hose onto the valve stem, I could not get it to thread far enough on to engage and allow air / gunk to flow. I am sure the gunk would have worked because later I noticed a bit of it leaking from around the hose end.

So, for those who have used this system successfully:
    1) What do you do to clear out the gunk and use the compressor just to supply air again? Hold it over a garbage can, trigger the valve and hope for the best? Compressor is still under 60psi of pressure.
    2) Is the gunk a one and done supply or can it be used subsequent times (particularly if the first time no flow happened)?
    3) Under pressure, the device knob will also not switch from gunk flow to air flow setting.

FYI, I also had a time getting the wheel off due to rust of the hub. Against the aluminum wheel. I sanded away rust and applied a bit of grease.

Attached Files:

17. insightman

I've never used my Clarity's tire repair kit (although I just changed the tank of slime and will send my unused, just-expired-but-refillable tank to anyone who asks for it before April, 2024). However, the Owners Manual answers one of your questions.

It says not to use the tire repair kit in these situations:
    • The tire sealant has expired.
    • More than one tire is punctured.
    • The puncture or cut is larger than 3/16 inch (4 mm).
    • The tire side wall is damaged or the puncture is outside the contact area.
    • Damage has been caused by driving with the tire extremely under inflated.
    • The tire bead is no longer seated.
    • The rim is damaged.

For your question 2), bullet 2 indicates the slime tank is a single-use proposition.

I didn't know your item 3), that the Air/Repair knob can't be turned to the Air setting when the hose is still connected to the valve after using the Repair setting. Did it make a mess when you unscrewed it? If so, that's what Honda decided had to be the case. I'll be putting some rags in the compartment with my tire repair kit to wipe up excess slime.

So if you can't turn the Air/Repair knob when the kit is under pressure, you have no choice but to perform your procedure 1): unscrew the hose from the valve, switch to Air, and blow out any slime remaining in the hose. Then you can switch to Air, reconnect the hose to the valve, and pump more air into the tire, if necessary.

I hope I never have to use my tire repair kit. Your experience was worse than I expected it would be. Please accept my condolences.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024