Clarity A/C problem (and warranty extension on pg 10)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Benoit Paquette, Jul 25, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

You were right. To Hell and back, everything went fine. Outside temp=108-112F. Inside temp=went down from 109 to 80F in five minutes (as measured by ODB). A/C set at 79F. AC pressure between 150-170 psi. Scorching sun hitting the dashboard. Can't complain. Let's see for how long...

sabasc, megreyhair and insightman like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Roen

Roen New Member

On Clarity Forum, I've seen a couple of threads of AC repairs not being covered by the condensor warranty, and they're inevitably the evaporator.

4. Receiver pipe leak. Since this is my third leaky condenser, including the original one with the car, I got some sympathy but I'm still out more than $700 2018 Clarity leaking receiver tube.jpg , and have to wait for the part to ship from California to Massachusetts which is expected to take six business days. I'm planning to contact Honda itself to see if I can get a reimbursement for some of this because it's hard to believe that tube didn't get atypical wear/handling since it's connected to the condenser. And it's an extraordinarily unreliable AC experience so far.

Dan Albrich likes this.
  5. Austsome

Austsome New Member

Since you've had multiple repairs on the same problem, maybe you can get your money or settlement through the lemon law. I think it's worth a try to contact a lawyer!

turtleturtle likes this.
  6. Idk if this was ever spotted, but the issue with the A/C condenser was officially disclosed in a tech bulletin:
    "...The A/C condenser was not manufactured to specification. As a result, corrosion may develop in the form of tiny holes in the condenser tube walls that allow the refrigerant to leak out."
    Does this mean all of them (OEM) will eventually fail and require replacement?

sabasc likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

My 2018 Clarity with 20K miles is on its 3rd condenser. However, some Clarity owners on this forum with many more miles on their cars have had no problems with their original condensers. Clearly, the condenser is a weak link in the system, but it's not guaranteed to go bad.

sabasc likes this.
  9. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

I, too, have a 2018—about 35K miles. So far—knock wood—I haven't had any problems despite the hot summers in SoCal.

sabasc and insightman like this.
  10. Mine is at 47k miles and on it's third. I'm wondering what we're supposed to do once we go past the ten-year window?

sabasc likes this.
  11. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

That sounds a lot like the Honda fuel propeller also "not manufactured to specification" from the recent recall. Haven't they found a cure for the condensers like the one they found for the propellers?

sabasc likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

It's hard to believe that they just replace these using the same crappy condensers without some kind of a re-design to actually fix the underlying problem, but it kind of seems like that's what is happening. Other components have failed too, frequently after a condenser replacement which makes me believe that a failed condenser may be having a ripple effect and damaging other parts too (or maybe poor workmanship or repair procedures).

I am one of the lucky ones (2018, 43K and still working fine)...

My only thought would be that if you experience multiple failures, to complain up the corporate ladder as far as you can go to insure that this is on Honda's radar.

Unfortunately Honda holds all the cards. I'm sure they keep track of how many replacements have occurred with each component, but only they are aware of the full extent of the problem. A 'safety' problem is better in some ways because it raises visibility and requires reporting to other authorities. The fuel pump is a good example because it is a safety issue (plus, the problem affects MANY more vehicles beyond just the lowly Clarity).

sabasc likes this.
  14. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I haven't researched this at all as to size of condenser vs other Honda condensers (newer car using 1234yf), how much space there is to work with, connection adaptability, etc, but I'll ask anyway. Has anyone looked into retrofitting a different Honda condenser that doesn't seem to have this high failure probability?

sabasc likes this.
  15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Why did Honda create a unique condenser for the low-volume Clarity PHEV in the first place? Are no parts of our HVAC systems shared with other Hondas?

The other two types of Clarity used heat-pumps, right? Was that option too expensive for the PHEV?

I imagine, somewhere, there's a tiny subcontractor shop with one or two employees who do nothing but rebuild the returned Clarity condensers. If Honda could make this problem go away by using the condensers designed for the current Civic or Accord, they'd jump on that solution in a heartbeat.

sabasc likes this.
  16. leop

leop Active Member

Honda Civics from 2016-2021 (year depending on model) also have a ten year warranty extension for the AC condensor. The possibe leakage is described the same way as for the Clarity (Honda TSB 19-091 for the Civic).

BTW, Rockauto lists three AC condensors for the Honda Clarity PHEV. I do not know if these are the exact fits, etc.

sabasc and insightman like this.
  17. DarrylP796

DarrylP796 New Member

Add me to the list of dissatisfied Honda Clarity owners. 2018, purchased new. A/C condenser replaced twice, now evaporator out with a nearly $3000 bill. Not to mention software recalls and wheel bearing replacements.

Honda used to be a good car company, but if you look at all the major recalls, including the current recall for the Clarity about the fuel pump (that they have no repair for and may not until late fall according to my dealer), they have really gone downhill on quality and customer support. My Accord was great, the Clarity - not so much. One of the condenser replacements we had to wait nearly two months to get into the dealer for a repair - why? They were in the midst of a huge recall effort.

18. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

I'd keep your receipts and send a note or letter to Honda America. I'd explain that you had the AC condenser twice, and then the evaporator. It seems to me that would be related, and I'd mention that in your note. Anyway, may be worth a try if you haven't already attempted. I don't have faith in my local dealer (for good reason, don't want to enumerate), but I would try direct communication with Honda if it were me.

I was lucky to learn about the low-cost HondaCare on these forums.

sabasc likes this.
  19. Robert_Alabama

Probably due to me buying a 10 year, 120k mile warranty, but I’ve had zero issues in nearly 60k miles and almost 5.5 years. Just kidding of course, still glad I bought the warranty, be happy if I never need it. Obviously I’m on the other end of the happy with Clarity purchase spectrum.

sabasc likes this.
  20. NorCalPete

NorCalPete Active Member

Pretty much the same for us: 2018, 5 years, 42k miles, and not a single issue requiring the use of our extended warranty.
    I'm hoping this good luck will last for the next 15 years. It's been the perfect car for my wife.

sabasc likes this.
  21. Since the part will no longer be covered by the extended warranty, you’ll have to pay to have it replaced, if you want the A/C to function properly.

sabasc likes this.
  22. Is your contract something other than HondaCare? In the US, the maximum coverage period is 8 years with HondaCare.

sabasc likes this.
  23. Robert_Alabama

Yes. It was offered by the dealership directly, but seemed legitimate enough. We'll see when/if I actually have to use it. The pricing was a little above HondaCare ($1700), but I liked the term of 10 years enough to bite.

sabasc likes this.