Your comments on the Active Flaps in snow/ice conditions???

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 6' started by XtsKonaTrooper, Jan 14, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Definitely not a fan of these active flaps in snow ice conditions.
    I think the design and function is pretty cool though.
    Prior to testing preheating today at -12c, went out to clear snow off the car without the fob. The bottom lip of the active flaps had iced formed, which I'm sure if I didn't solve, would have gave issues with them opening.
    Before doing preheating with the app, I got in the car and turned heater on...took about 8mins before a nice heat was coming out.
    The flaps did not open. The car was plugged into my lvl2.
    Came in the house and using my security cams , could see once I sent command to start cabin heat, the flaps almost instantly opened up. Did notice it opening and then closing and then opened until car was fully charged. Which time it pretty well closed when cabin heat shut off.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Don't know... Not sure what the exact conditions or temps trigger them to open or close. I have noticed on my trips when I stop, sometimes they are open, and sometimes they are closed, and at different temps, incl below freezing like on my last ski trip. Having said that, on the freeway back down at sea level I go pretty fast. Hard to keep that car under 130 kph when not bogged down by traffic. So maybe under those conditions the battery needs to be cooled?

I wish they would provide a battery temp on the dash, or even on that Energy Information screen. Would really help to understand what is going on. ICE cars show water temp, and some oil temp. You would think battery temp is just as important to know.

electriceddy and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  4. XtsKonaTrooper

I haven't had it 1 week, but constantly it opens during charging and closes at the finish.
    In cold Temps on the highway , I'm not sure if it opens up and I think it really shouldn't have too. It would make sense , if triggering it was temp based.
    Battery temp gauge would be nice but I think alot of ppl don't care, they just want to turn on and go.
    I believe we are at that generation that likes to know these things. Hehe

R P likes this.
  5. I haven't paid much attention to when it opens or not, but do remember seeing it open and closed at times. Will watch for it now, if I remember.

Yeah, I always like to know what is going on with my car, incl my old ICE ones. I am also a pilot, so am used to paying very close attention to the engine gauges. These incl EGTs, CHTs, oil temp, fuel flow and remaining (to one decimal place), manifold pressure, ignition advance, rpms, etc, etc.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  6. I suspect most notably when the ICCU is in operation ie: when charging, using V2L, utility mode and more than likely when HV Battery cooling is required, such as destination preconditioning and cooling in hot ambient temps (while driving included).
    A good time to investigate a protective screen of some sort if that may be a concern ie: a cat wandering into the opening during the charging cycle and getting trapped after the close (or worse yet rat critter). If one uses an L1 EVSE, you are pretty much guaranteed ample time to check for measurements and configuration/implementation.
    BTW still waiting I5 delivery from Van port, a few small whitecaps are the only severance:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

R P and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. XtsKonaTrooper

When I drove the other day and preconditioning, completely forgot to check the flaps but it was dry out and no snow.
    I'm hoping that critters stay away from the flaps with the fan noise being made.
    I know checks will have to be made, to make sure that inside area , has no damage from road debris.
    Hopefully soon, you get the i5 delivered. Looks like a few of us, have moved up and graduated from the OG Kona EV. Hehe

R P likes this.
  9. I've been checking the flaps and they are always closed. Except after driving on the freeway at higher speeds. I went skiing again today, same place and charging routine as last time. When I stopped to top up (free charger) before I got home, the flaps were open. Same place as last time. And same circumstances, after driving fast on the freeway. OAT about -1C.

I did see the preconditioning coils, and also on the Energy Information, so it was working for me. But it didn't really help charge any faster. I think where it might help more is with the 350 kW chargers. Right now I am just using the free 150 and 200kW chargers, and usually get over 100 kW right up to 80%. That is plenty good enough for me.

On my trip today, didn't have the same deep snow as last week. But encountered some very icy conditions in the eastern valley early morning, with blowing snow basically polishing the freeway where it was a little wet from salt. I couldn't count the number of cars in the ditch, some still with their lights on. I almost lost it once, too, around a curve, pure ice, was only going 60 kph. But rear end swung out on me again, and was touch and go for a second or two to get it straight again. It took me by surprise as the road was mostly good there, and then hit the ice patch. The problem is that it was so cold the last week here, the pavement is still very frozen, and any moisture just freezes and then is polished by the blowing snow. I am sure tow trucks did a good business today.

I don't remember having any of these issues last year, with the many ski trips down the same road under all kinds of conditions. So not sure if it is the car, or I just encountered worse conditions this year.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  10. XtsKonaTrooper

Luckily one of my security cams, can see the front end of the car. Clockwork when I'm charging , it's open.
    I noticed this evening, 12v was charging and flaps open. Once 12v light went out, the flaps closed.
    Do you have winter tires on it?
    I haven't had much fun in the snow yet, with it.

R P likes this.
  11. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

The road conditions you encountered are the perfect storm for the use of studded winter tires. In my area we get a lot of snow but also cold (-29C this morning) where the roads are polished and you see the shine at all the stop signs at night. I've been running studded tires for the last 2 winters and only winter tires the previous years. it's night and day with the studs. Some parts of Ontario don't allow stud use, not sure about your area.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. No, just have the OEM A/S tires, and except on ice, traction has been good, as experienced last week when I was pushing through some pretty deep snow (in Snow mode) going up to the ski hill. On ice, am sure true winters would be better, but no guarantee either in extreme ice like I had yesterday. No one uses studs here on the coast, or at least I have never seen them. Most of the time in the winter, roads lower down are bare. It is just up in the mountains where we get lots of snow, and they use a lot of sand up there, so again traction is not bad.

Reading the manual, I saw that Snow mode can be used at any speed. I thought it was meant more for slower speeds to prevent getting stuck in snow. So next time, if conditions are slippery, I may just turn on Snow drive and use it at higher speeds, too. On the wheels torque screen, it seems to just turn on permanent AWD. Won't be as efficient, of course, but that will be my least concern if conditions need better traction.

Also next time, I will try not using preconditioning and see if it makes a difference. I will say it sure is a pleasure with how fast it charges. Last year was taking my Solterra to the ski hills, but had to do a 1/2 hour charge before even getting up there. That means getting up earlier, and even then missing the early powder when the lifts open. I will say though, the Solterra was better in the snow, and never experienced any type of traction loss (also just OEM tires) on the highway or in the deep snow. Being a Subaru, I think its AWD is better and the higher clearance helps.