New Generation Kona EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Dec 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sorry for delayed response. Just had them installed on Friday and put approx 150km mixed hwy / road on them and no issues or noticeable increase in road noise. Btw, this is my 4th set of Kumho All Weather tires, this being the first 'new gen'. Had them on my 2019 Kona EV too, which had 78k km's when I traded it in. Btw, still too early for me to comment on efficiency with the Kumho All Weather tires - hoping to repeat my 2019 experience, where the difference was very negligible/non evident.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
    XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

The 800v system for me, was a bit of a game charger for me, as I don't really like charging on the road as it defeats my savings but at least this way, I hopefully won't be sitting around charging. Hehe

GPM432 likes this.
  4. XtsKonaTrooper

Am I correct thinking, that you got 78k kms on the one set. ?
    I haven't got my Awd I6 yet, but have pondered all weather 18"s, so I don't have to do the winter/summer jinga and plus get more range. In my area, with awd and all weather tires, I think I should be good.

5. For the 24 Ultimate model in Canada, they skimped / left of some choice goodies from original specs, which have been noted in other posts above, but for certain the V2L. Tried a friend's V2L just to see if the software was loaded, but no, it is not. I have noted, with my L2 charger, the 20-80 is faster with my 24Kona, charging at a slightly higher rate. Not being a real techie, I did not note the kw, just that it was faster by a noticeable amount. I would've really enjoyed the smart power lift gate, but that too is not available. Cheers KIWIme - always enjoy reading your posts.

electriceddy, KiwiME and Wildeyed like this.
  6. My life really doesn't require the fastest of fast charging. I did it only once in nearly 5 years. I like new, shiny things and the 800 volt platform would have been sweet but I really can't justify the extra $$$ for it. Frankly the missing V2L, power tailgate and rear heated seats (in Canada) bummed me out more. To be honest the bump in level 2 charging is actually of more practical use to me than any level 3 improvement. I guess the moral of the story that we can all appreciate is that there's finally a selection of features and price points that makes sense for more and more people.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Does the next gen Kona have memory seats/mirrors? That was something that bugged us with the 2019 Kona, as both my wife and I were driving it regularly, and were constantly adjusting the seats. Now that we have two BEVs, we tend to drive our own fav mostly, so although both have memory seats, not as important anymore.

9. Nope. Not in Canada in the Ultimate trim anyway.

10. One thing I'm noticing with the new car that I don't like at all is that it seems to loose charge quickly while unused and plugged in. I set it to 80% and scheduled charging but it doesn't appear to top itself off like it used to.

It will charge to 80% initially and then just drain over a couple of days, dropping to 75% without any top-ups during the daily scheduled charging.

So far I've not seen if the dropping will continue past 3 days as I've needed the car but I find it a bit troubling.

11. XtsKonaTrooper

Can't really comment on the new gen but my prev Kona, I'd often see a km or 2 drop overnight if Temps went down and usually see it recuperate if the day warmed up.
    Now I've seen the app show say 385 when it used to be 387 and i get in the car and shows 387.
    I know when I first get a new car with remote services, I'm checking it often hehehe
    I know with the i6 with the approach unlock feature, it has to be using a little juice to detect that.
    I've only had my i6 less then a day , full charge last night was 540, this morning it was 537 but the temp also dropped 7c overnight since fully charged.

Wildeyed likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I'm talking about percentage loss not range loss though. It's just that it's unusual as compared to my previous experience.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  14. XtsKonaTrooper

My bad, didn't really read that well...yeah mine still shows 100% and with prev Kona if I had it at 80 or 100%:p plugged in, never seen it drop like that.
    Yeah I'd be keeping an eye on that and hopefully new gen Kona owners can pipe in with feedback.

Wildeyed likes this.
  15. XtsKonaTrooper

Just thinking about it, even my PHEV nowcand prev one, if I had it set to 100% plugged in, never saw it go below that on its own...if I preheat, it will drop , but recharge back up.
    Try preheating , as it will drop lower then 75% and see when it recharges if it goes back to 80%.
    Shouldn't be your charger if same charger was used on prev vehicle.

16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I wonder if setting your Kona to 100% would prioritize your desire to start out with maximum range and it would respond by topping up over-and-over? Perhaps setting to 80% tells the program you're priority is to stretch the life of your battery rather than maximum next-drive range, and it's helping by not continually charging back to 80%.

Wildeyed likes this.
  17. I like how thoughtful you believe my car is!:)

insightman likes this.
  18. The polar vortex is finally paying Ontario a visit this week so it's my first experience with the '24 in temperatures below -15°C. Floor heating is awful. Cold feet and shins come standard. Also I had beaded and frozen condensation on the INSIDE of the rear window glass. Literally have never had that happen before.

I drove in the worst possible conditions today (for an EV) -20°C, highway speeds, 60km headwind and the range appeared to be comparable to the '19 in similar winter conditions.

19. Did they change the vents? Maybe try a different setting.
    The one thing I really do like in my 21 MY Kona is being able to take off my shoes and relax when public charging, even in sub zero temps (which we do get on occasion) and my feet are quite warm:)

Lars likes this.
  20. "Auto" the mode setting mostly works OK but not when it is really cold outside, like the past couple of days here. When my feet start to feel cool, I change setting to direct heat to the foot-well. Otherwise heating is fine in my 2021.

21. During my very first drive I noticed that my knees were cool in this car. There just seems to be a bit of a dead zone for heating between the dash and the foot well. In moderate cool the foot heat is tolerable if weak but in the very cold it seems to fall short. Even turning the fan on full and directing 100% into the foot well doesn't cut it.

22. What setting do you use to run the heat while charging? ACC, utility mode, or ….?

23. It's not while charging, it's while driving. I only charge at home. I've tried pretty much every combo available but usually it's both climate zones synced and set to 20°C with the airflow split between face and feet (after defrost has completed its job).
    *Whoops! You weren't asking me.