Scheduled Maintenance Costs

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Wildeyed, Jul 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Would be interesting to compare those costs to my dealer for my I6.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I would imagine they would be significantly less expensive given the I6 has a single conventional coolant loop.

I dodged my expensive blue coolant change on my Kona EV with the arrival of my I5 and then subsequent GV60. So far in the last 130,000 km of driving between the 3 EVs I think I have spent less than $100 on self maintenance items mostly with the Kona that included cabin filters and wipers etc and $300 for side wall punctured winter tire on the Kona during that time. Now I let the dealer do all my maintenance mostly because its entirely complementary, they pick up my car and leave another Genesis vehicle(usually ICE ) while in service. The GV60 maintenance includes cost for filters, brake services/ fluid changes covered during the first 100K/5 years. I had $900 bill for another side wall punctured tire( 21 inches Michelin EV tires are apparently a little on the pricey side) that was covered under a Genesis extended warranty road hazard clause. First coolant change is not due until 200,000km or 10 years.

Fortunately, unlike my Kona where I had over dozen unscheduled service visits at my dealer in the first year the GV60 has had none. Clearly Hyundai is capable of learning from its mistakes and making better EVs with more reasonable maintenance costs.

KiwiME and navguy12 like this.
  4. The latest coolant TSB for some Konas is a great way of dodging the coolant change cost. I had mine done at 99K so now I'm good until I sell the car prior to 159K. The dealership struggled with my first coolant change and gave me a deep discount. So I got off easy with coolant changes. Performing service myself has made mainenance costs for the Kona very cheap, comparable to the honda civics I used to drive and service at home. I can do the inspections in less time than it takes to drive to the dealership and back. Service costs have been negligable except for the first coolant change, windshield replacement ($200 insurance deductable), and dissapointingly short life of the 12V battery and OEM Nexen tires. Buying extra insurance for windshield replacement was a moneysaver since a Kona windshield costs 6 times what I paid for my last civic windshield (why?).

PS> Hello Apu! We've missed you. Glad to hear that you like your GV60.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
  5. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Here is a tip. I went to my local garage with a great reputation to have my brakes serviced at 60000 kms. Cost would of been $130.00 Compared to $190.00 at Hyundai... The guy took the wheels off and clean them with a blow gun etc. Then told me my brakes were ok . Total charge $70.00... Now if that was Hyundai I would of been charged the full price. Go to your local garage for service. Also buy your cabin filters from Amazon. I also blow the filters with a compressor once in a while. Thats it.

navguy12 likes this.
  6. All services needed other than those related specifically to the electric drive train (HV battery; electric motor; cooling; reduction gear and related high voltage cabling) can be serviced by any licensed car mechanic. So no need to go back to the dealer for break work etc.

The the electric drive train, software and tools needed are unique to each manufacturer. Any reputable garage will tell you up front if they are not licensed to work on electric drive trains and they will not touch it. The good news is that the drive battery and the drive trains carry a long warranty.
    As a foot note; Ontario collages are in the process to develop training courses for EV technicians, preparing them for special EV certification. But this process will take a while yet.

navguy12 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.