Two-year maintenance

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by insightman, Jun 6, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Brake fluid is hygroscopic so it absorbs water. Regardless of how much you use your brakes, you need to change the fluid every 2 - 3 years. Mini does it for free at your 2 year service.

CuriousGeorge likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SandyUT

SandyUT New Member

Good to know! Many thanks.

4. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Since there is/was an active recall out on this, I had it looked at when having my grill shutters reattached. The issue is that the cable coming from the battery is really short, requiring it to take a more direct path than if it were just a little bit longer. As a result, it can rub on the edge of the battery cover, eventually chewing through the insulation and causing a short. One solution would be to make the cable longer, but MINI has apparently chosen the alternative solution of altering the lip of the battery cover, allowing for more clearance.

IOW, what I'm saying is that you'd probably have to hold the old and new battery covers right next to each other to see a (say) 0.5 cm difference in the length of lip at that point.

insightman likes this.
  5. CuriousGeorge

You should have made them come to your house anyway. :)

6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I did my 3G sunset last year and for the 2 year service it was just brake fluid, cabin filter, and 12V battery cover fix. Pretty uneventful and the service was $0!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SandyUT

SandyUT New Member

What year is this recall on? I have not been contacted by MINI and this is the first I have heard of it. I have a 2022.

9. CuriousGeorge

I will have to check my records.

I can say that the dealer was unaware of the service bulletin, and I had to bring it to their attention.

Found it:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10234351-9999.pdf

ghost likes this.
  10. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

The two-year service should also include the software update. I'm not sure that can be done at your home.

11. endquote

endquote Active Member

I posted my service appointment on the other thread.

I was surprised that my front tires were so worn after 9k miles. On the invoice they are noted as run-flats, but I'm pretty sure they're not, since I have the puncture goo kit. Hankook Ventus s1 evo 3 - 205/45R17 - the specs show run-flat and normal versions with the same name. Is there a marking on the tire I should look for to know for sure?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Every tire brand has their own markings, for example:
    • Bridgestone: RFT (run flat tires)
    • Continental: SSR (self-supporting runflat)
    • Dunlop: ROF (run on flat) or DSST (Dunlop self-supporting technology)
    • Goodyear: ROF (run on flat) or EMT (extended mobility technology)
    • Michelin: ZP (zero pressure)
    • Pirelli: RSC (run-flat system component)
    I can't find what Hankook marks theirs with.

14. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

They usually have a HRS (Hankook Runflat System) logo after the model name. Sometimes there's also a RSC logo.

15. I just received a call from MINI of Tampa Bay to schedule my 1 year maintenance. Same drill as everyone else... I asked, "What maintenance is due?" and the nice lady on the other end of the phone hesitated for a few seconds, and then said, "It looks like you don't need anything until next year. Sorry to bother you.".

I actually don't want a software update because everything has been just fine with my car over my first 12 months of ownership, and software seems to introduce new bugs. 17,000 miles with no issues whatsoever with the car. No squeaks or rattles. It still runs just like it did when I drove it off the lot.

insightman likes this.
  16. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Some dealerships are more invested in training. Two and a half years ago, as I was getting ready to drive off, the service manager said "see you in two years" and the head mechanic was telling me about his EV training. In another year, you should get the software update.

beerhecht likes this.
  17. ghost

ghost Active Member

Just had my 2 year: I didn't realize it, but when I brought my SE into the dealer a few months ago for my temp gauge malfunction (rodent chewed the wire behind the grill), they changed out my brake fluid and cabin filter already. So when I brought it in yesterday, they just changed the battery cover. Thanks for posting the bulletin.

18. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

Just got my 2 year service today, which includes brake fluid flush, cabin air filter, battery cover recall, and the end-of-3g software update.

The software update cleared out all my radio presets (no surprise), but now I can’t reprogram the presets. The presets don’t “stick.”

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Also….the service tech noticed I’m down to my wear bars on the OEM Hankooks. 16K miles…..so, not getting much life out of these.:(

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  19. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

Never mind. It’s just that the hot buttons were not assigned to radio presets anymore. Doh!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  20. CuriousGeorge

It would be interesting to compare different stock tires re. how much mileage folks are getting out of them. My SE came with P7s, and while I don't know the original tread depth, at not quite 12k miles they seem to have plenty of life left.

21. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

The Hankooks on my previous Minis did not wear well, and I'm not thrilled with the early wear on the Goodyears that came on the SE.

SameGuy likes this.
  22. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

What do you mean? Did you start getting less traction in the rain or less lateral traction or more road noise?

23. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

I’m now in the market for new tires, so would love to hear suggestions. I’m not a fan of runflats, so that rules out several. If I search on Tire Rack for non runflats that are “EV-optimized” in the 195/55-16 size, these Hankooks are all that comes up.

I’m happy with the Hankooks for everything except longevity, so maybe it’s still the best choice….

Sorry to threadjack!