One key fob

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Clonbur, Dec 2, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Clonbur

Clonbur New Member

Any suggestions to avoid hundreds of dollars at a dealer to get a duplicate key fob for my '23 VW ID.4 Pro?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I know nothing about the aftermarket support devices and software available for the ID.4, but you may be interested to know Clarity owners on the Inside EVs' Clarity forum have used the Autel MaxiAP AP200 bluetooth OBDII dongle, along with cellphone software from Autel to reconfigure a fob purchased on ebay to work like the car's original fob. The catch with the Clarity is that the fob contains an emergency physical key, but software alone can't duplicate the key.

Here's that Clarity forum thread: How to Replace a Lost Key Fob for <$75.

A quick google search turned up a Reddit forum where they talk about OBDII scanners and the ID.4, but I didn't read it to see if key fobs are discussed.

Perhaps there are online wizards who offer key-fob duplication services, but you'd have to send them your only key fob, which would be somewhat inconvenient.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  4. Clonbur

Clonbur New Member

Thanks Insightman. I'm not sure I will follow that advice since I am not very tech savvy. I've actually admitted that to my better half and she then asks me why I am buying an ID.4 if I am not interested in its technology : )

5. insightman

Of course, the tech required to duplicate a key fob is a separate matter from your ID.4 being an EV--nearly all cars have fobs these days. If EVs are to succeed (and they must), no technical expertise should be required to own and operate them. You can enjoy the benefits of your ID.4 without being interested in its technology.

There are many technical topics discussed on InsideEVs' Clarity PHEV and MINI Cooper SE forums that are beyond my understanding (such as the advantages of different battery chemistries and the selection of anti-roll bar replacements), but I sure love driving both cars past gas stations year-after-year.

6. Clonbur

Clonbur New Member

I'm enjoying the car. I have just convinced myself to take baby steps to learn its different infotainment possibilities.

I've seen prices of key fobs at VW dealers as much as $500 and warned that some dealers will not be able to program the fob for my car. Interestingly, those warnings said I'd have to go to a locksmith for programming. I doubt any locksmith near me would be experienced in that process. I'll have to call them. However, if the fob is $500 and then there's another fee to have a locksmith program it I think I will just have to attach a large, heavy, brightly colored knick knack to my fob like the gas stations used to attach to the bathroom key!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I haven't had to do this for ID.4, but for older cars, there was a sort of 3-step process.

The first is the locksmith end of things - to cut the blank to match the existing key.

The second was to pair the thing with the car so that keyless entry would work. In the past, this was something you could do your self very easily.

The third bit you almost needed VW to help with - they need to tell the ECU that the key is allowed to be used to start the car. I would be surprised if there were any dealers out there that couldn't couldn't do all of these things for you. Yeah, I know - it is expensive, but it isn't that uncommon for someone to lose a key fob.

9. insightman

An Apple AirTag is a lot cheaper than an additional fob, but it can only help you find a lost fob--it won't start your ID.4. Note that the metal keyring loop is too wide for some fobs, so it may be necessary to replace the loop with a thinner aftermarket loop.

upload_2023-12-10_22-41-25.png