BC Hydro stations

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by SkookumPete, Apr 3, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Yeah, I signed up for that. We'll see what happens.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DJP

DJP Active Member

Can't see this being popular in condos like mine where you are limited to 4 hours max and having less power supplied than expected and paying the same hourly rate for the access.

4. Received this e-mail:

[​IMG] Get ready to update your EV app

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hi Edward,

Our public EV charging network is expanding every month. To continue improving features, we're launching a new version of our EV network mobile app.

New app features
    • Support for higher-powered EV chargers
    • Notifications about new EV chargers near you
    • Account balance auto-reload
    • Support for kWh-based billing (launch date subject to approval from B.C. Utilities Commission)
    • And more, coming in 2024
    Once we release the app, you'll receive an email with instructions on how to update your BC Hydro EV account and app to the latest version.

Please keep an eye out for this email in the next few weeks.

I phoned BC Hydro EV and received confirmation that RFID cards will still work, and if you are like me and prefer to use the PC Based version to re-load funds (or just don't have a smartphone), that function will still be available.:)

5. DJP

DJP Active Member

It will be interesting to see what the rate(s) will be for kWh-based billing.

6. I would still like the rate to be advertised on signage, easily visible without the need for an "app", kWh-based or time based to bring parity with gas stations.

DJP likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It will be interesting. The BCUC has told Hydro their rates should cover their costs. I imagine that means the total costs. I've used one of Hydro's fast chargers only a couple of times.

9. I agree, but I think plugshare is the best place to post rates. That way you can shop around if you want to.

10. Sorry for the slow reaction. Does anyone know if the new 180kW chargers are still Flo? I would really hate to see BC Hydro move away from Flo, because Flo always works.

11. And just to clarify, there are TWO Flo apps. Make sure you pick the right one, or both, depending on your situation.
    upload_2023-11-18_15-58-51.png

NewEVGuy, Das KONA and John Lumsden like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Anyone else having a hard time logging in to BC Hydro EV account log in using a PC since they changed to an "app" 2 weeks ago.
    I phoned three times and spoke with a rep several times to confirm this "new" change would not affect my account and was told - no problem...they will still support PC (non cell based app) until I tried today.
    I did phone support and the rep advised me - I now need a cell phone and app to access charging and my account:mad:
    What the heck? I have been using their machines using RFID card and loaded funds on for many years now, and since the "cellphone app" change- no longer support?
    I sent them an e-mail and await an answer back, but if you live in BC and use an RFID like I do, please try and see if you can access your account.
    If this is the new BC Hydro approach as presented by the "rep", it will have a negative effect on EV adoption (can't charge without cell and app) and is simply not fair.
    I will await their answer before going public news, such as marketplace etc.

14. DJP

DJP Active Member

I was able to login and add funds through the web. I initially used the page I used to use and I couldn't login. Then I went here: https://electricvehicles.bchydro.com/how-use-our-fast-chargers/how-do-i-load-funds-my-bc-hydro-ev-account and used the link under "To load funds through the website" https://evaccount.bchydro.com/ which brings you to a totally different login page. I used that and I was able to login and add funds. With the "upgrade" back whenever it was, I had to change my password. My recollection is that the process wasn't very elegant and had a number of problems until I was able to upgrade.

electriceddy likes this.
  15. Thanks...that worked, appreciate the help.:)
    I don't understand why the rep I talked to could not have told me that or at least walked me thru it. The answer of requiring a phone and app was shall we say - most undesirable.
    I guess the next step is to see if my RFID cards actually still work on one of their $ DC chargers (super confident regarding that):rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
  16. BC Hydro switching to energy-based cost charging system as of June 1,2024.
    Pretty reasonable cost of $0.34 per kWh on all level 3 DC chargers (regardless of maximum charging rate and machine capability).:)
    Also extended stay (idle fees) will be implemented @ $0.40 per minute - starting 5 minutes after the EV stops charging. This will help improve the process.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  17. That is good. I agree with the idle charges too. I also think there should be a premium rate for charging over 80% when it slows down. There's always that guy who wants to charge to 100% now that we pay by kwh, and he blocks the charging station for a long time while the electrons slow from a torrent to a piddle during the last 20%. Don't be that guy when there are other people waiting.

electriceddy likes this.
  18. Congestion fees would be welcome at 80% and above when busy, somewhat similar to Tesla superchargers.

19. Wow, what a deal we have here.:)
    Check on the Hydro Quebec prices (Electric Circuit) starting April 2, 2024:
    Power supplied Battery charge level Price per kWh*

20 kW or more and less than 50 kW N/A $0.53
    50 kW or more and less than 90 kW N/A $0.41
    90 kW or more and less than 180 kW N/A $0.53
    180 kW or more N/A $0.60
    Almost double the cost when charging over 180kW compared to BC Hydro

Wildeyed likes this.
  20. And Quebec's hydro is dirt cheap too!