Well, there we go ... MINI to adopt NACS in North America

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by fishbert, Oct 17, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I'll tell him to bias his charging towards home J1772, and not stray far from known CHAdeMO networks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Then that's not "zero research." That's all I found, however.

4. SameGuy

YUL
    I Glooged right after I posted the question... ;)

insightman likes this.
  5. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Right. It’s more like we all invested in Laser Disk when the world has moved on to DVDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. SameGuy

YUL
    Bah. It's a standard. If it were the only standard, and the network operators gave more than two sihts about keeping their dispensers working properly, we wouldn't be discussing this.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GetOffYourGas

I’m just happy that it is a standard. It’s not controlled by Tesla anymore. That alleviates my major concern that they could sabotage other OEMs at any time.

SameGuy likes this.
  9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

XKCD for every situation:

[​IMG]

pictsidhe, Racejoe, Buzzzzkil and 3 others like this.
  10. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

My main problem has been that all the CCS stations anywhere near where I might need them (work) keep having their cables cut by copper thieves. Not sure having NACS stations would prevent that problem. :/

11. nowkent

nowkent New Member

I'm hoping that Mini will give us a free adapter, (maybe just a dream) but I do think an adapter is coming.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GetOffYourGas

I would be very (pleasantly) surprised if anyone got a free adaptor. I’m fully expecting to buy one in a couple of years. It will be worth it because I currently have two CCS cars in my driveway (Mini SE and Bolt EV) and am about to add a third (Kia EV9)

nowkent and SameGuy like this.
  14. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Yeah since the NACS shift started, all I’ve wanted to know about is adapters. When will they come out, how much will they cost, and can we register them with Tesla to use at superchargers

nowkent likes this.
  15. ghost

ghost Active Member

We bought an adapter for the other way around: NAC to CCS, for my wife's model 3. It was less than $100, bc we didn't buy from Tesla.

16. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

The issue with an adapter is it isn’t as straightforward for DCFC/supercharging. For level 2 charging it is simply a wiring/plug adapter but for DCFC the adapter would have to either be a specific one only for that or it would need intelligently switching to route the DC line to the CCS ports rather than the AC input pins on the J1772 plug.

ghost, SameGuy and inferno10 like this.
  17. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I would guess that few of us have DCFC charging at home. And I would also guess that a fair number of us only charge at home, making a NACS adapter moot (except for the occasional roadtrip outside of our range).

insightman and SameGuy like this.
  18. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Two things are needed for charging adaptors:

1. Physical adaptor. Maybe $300? Similar cost for a CCS to Tesla adaptor, already in use and helping Teslas clog budget CCS stations.

2. Elon to permit not-Teslas to use superchargers.

Point 2 has been the issue up to now.
    This is dependent on communication between car and DCFC. Adaptors will be dumb. A smart adaptor that spoofs a Tesla is currently needed, along with a Tesla account linked to a Tesla. If anyone has made one, they will not want Elon to find out. Or it will be bye-bye supercharging for that Tesla...

19. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Normally you will have to use the manufacturer's app at the supercharger. For example, 2024 supercharger sites will be included in the BlueOval™ Charge Network (BOCN), so a CCS1 equipped F-150 Lightning will use the FordPass® app + a NACS adapter under ISO 15118-20 protocols.

Certainly there's going to some conversion between CAN bus and PLC as well. I'm pretty sure NACS will be using PLC like CCS1/CCS2?

20. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Tesla already uses PLC. They use the older din 70121 standard. CCS uses ISO 15118, derived from the DIN standard. The communication issue is simply that Tesla currently only permits Teslas to use superchargers. Not that other cars couldn't with a dumb adaptor.

teslarati97 likes this.
  21. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

That's really scary if Tesla supercharging uses DIN SPEC 70121. No secured communication via Transport Layer Security, no digital certificates, and no XML-based digital signatures??

22. SameGuy

YUL
    No TLS? Surprised not surprised.

23. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

The adapter that matters for us is a smart adapter that is registered with Tesla so it can identify itself to the Tesla network, unless they roll out the ability to start a charge at any supercharger from the Tesla app. I don’t see Mini retrofitting cars with the ability to identify themselves to the Tesla network and I don’t think our vehicles have it. I am curious how the adapters will work for cars from other manufacturers that have said they’ll ship adapters with their vehicles until they fully integrate NACS.