Budget Battery Capacity Readout

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by MrFixit, Feb 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

This is certainly good news. It also speaks to the integrity and longevity of the Clarity in general.

I just want to mention that you also need to consider that with this many miles, most of these have to be HV miles. I think @ClarityBill had estimated something like 25% EV miles, and thus you might roughly equate his battery wear-and-tear to a vehicle that has only 50K miles but operates exclusively in EV mode.

A Clarity with 200K miles is certainly awesome however !

MichaelF likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. With a PHEV, there isn’t a meaningful relationship between miles traveled and battery condition. Had all those miles been covered in EV mode, the batteries would have been subject to ~5000 full charge cycles, or perhaps 10,000 partial charge cycles.

Alternatively, had those miles been covered in HV mode with depleted batteries, as one member reported operated the car, it would be reasonable to expect the battery capacity to be measurably different from a vehicle that covered those miles in HV with the battery mostly or full charged during operation.

rodeknyt likes this.
  4. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

25% EV miles is pretty close... I have burned 3644 gallons of gas. X 40 mpg = 145760 miles on gas... 57,000 EV
    (I think I am closer to 36 mpg or less, for 131,184 gas, and 72,000 EV - most of miles are over 75 mph)

5. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Just bought the scanner and put in my first reading, 46.7 at 73,400 miles. Since I do drive conservatively in most of my use it means I have done a lot less total charging than others with the same miles and similar EV percent around 90.

Just got my GOM to indicate slightly over 70 miles of EV range, but may be the last time I get there as the battery fades. Assuming the car was at 55 when new that means I could have gotten 82 miles of EV range on the flat if I knew what I was doing back then.

JustAnotherPoorDriver likes this.
  6. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

Another way we had talked about tracking battery capacity was the KWh used for a full charge.

Last night I charged at one of my 'normal' spots and used 11.37 KWh. Last summer it was 12.37 - 12.44
    (My battery recently reported 44.06).

EV range started at zero. Battery was about 9% on OBDII, and charged to 99%

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Lonewarrior

Lonewarrior New Member

Something extremely strange happened.

On Nov 2022 I reported my battery capacity was at 44.6Ah. I decided to do a check this evening and found out it was at a whooping 53.36Ah! I have a 2018 with 71500 miles on it. I attached a screenshot of the readings here for everyone's reference. Am I reading it wrong? Is temperature the contribution to this discrepancy?

Any insight will be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
  9. MrFixit

You have been afflicted with the mysterious battery capacity 'reset'...

Read the section entitled "Odd 'Resets' of Battery Capacity" at the bottom of this page:
    https://github.com/clarity-phev/Battery-Capacity-Read

During the interim between November and now, did your 12V battery die? Did you have the car at the dealer for service where they may have disconnected the 12V battery for an extended period? We have not conclusively identified the cause of this, but I feel that the dealer can reset the capacity (either intentionally or unintentionally), Or, an 'extended' disconnect can likely cause it.

Your capacity will slowly return to 'normal'. It may take months depending on your charging pattern. This is one reason that I recommend reading the capacity 'regularly'. I do it once a month, but that is overkill. Every few months if probably good.

Lonewarrior likes this.
  10. Lonewarrior

Lonewarrior New Member

My car was with the dealership 3 weeks ago for replacing the AC condenser so that is likely why. But I never lost any of my radio settings so I do not know if they actually disconnected the 12V. It is truly a blizzard phenomenon even the kwh that the car is able to hold is higher now.

11. Casey Martin

Casey Martin Active Member

I checked mine again today. My battery is currently at 44.9 AH. I now have 111,862 miles on my car. I was at 45.0 AH at right around 100k miles. So only a .1 decline in roughly 12k miles. It appears my battery is holding up fairly well.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Is that “New Math”?

The old method would have it at a .4Ah increase.

14. Casey Martin

Casey Martin Active Member

:) I corrected my post. Sorry about that. It wasn't a math error. It was a data entry error. ;)

MichaelF likes this.
  15. BerettaDaddy

BerettaDaddy New Member

Just got a VGate and at 51,000 miles, 75-80% EV driving, my battery is showing 42.06 Ah on a 2019 Base, gonna start logging now and maybe I can hit the magical replacement number.
    Bought this car 13 months ago and have put 27,000 on it in that time

16. David Towle

Wow that is pretty low capacity for the mileage. Are you in California or one of the other ZEV states where the warranty is 150k miles at 70%? You're already at 76.5%

17. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

I love my Clarity so I'm excited to see people achieving high miles on theirs. It gives me hope I can keep mine for a long time.
    One thing with battery chemistry, irrespective of miles driven, charges and discharges, the ability to hold charge does fall off if enough time passes. Anyway, my point being that we don't know yet due to age how long the battery pack can last in Clarity. I saw an article (maybe here) recently about 15,000 EVs and only 6-7% needed a new battery since 2011. Anyway, more than 10 years and not a terrible battery fail rate.

So here's to hoping I can keep driving my clarity 16 years like I did my last car...

18. David Towle

One of the huge advantages of a PHEV is of course you can drive it about forever, just more engine/less EV miles over time.

19. MrFixit

I doubt this assertion...
    The Hybrid architecture is integrally dependent on the HV battery (whether it is an HEV or a PHEV).
    Yes, 'standard' battery deterioration can be tolerated to a point, but if the battery 'fails' in some way the PHEV will not be able to continue.
    It is quite likely that the vehicle will declare a failure if the capacity drops too low. The failure threshold may (or may not) be the same as the warranty threshold.

20. It certainly possible, but I'd be shocked if the non-operating threshold is anywhere near the warranty threshold. The hybrid drive system is fundamentally the same as that used in some Honda hybrids with vastly smaller batteries, and those systems themselves have excess capacity to allow them to deal with battery degradation. The old Civic hybrid had a battery that was less than 10% the size of the Clarity battery.

Of course the Honda engineers made some stupid decisions at times, so it's certainly possible they configured it poorly

21. BerettaDaddy

BerettaDaddy New Member

No, car is from Cali but I'm in Florida.
    But I only need to lose 6 Ah in the next 45k miles when I've lost 13 Ah in the first 50k.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
  22. How would you categorize a 6-7% failure rate of internal combustion engines over a 10-12 year period?

Were it not for a generous federal emissions warranty on the battery and electric drivetrain components, a knowledgeable buyer might not consider an electrified vehicle for the long term.

BerettaDaddy likes this.
  23. David Towle

Someone else here might correct me, but since you are in Florida I think you have to lose another 10.5 AH to achieve the warranteed battery replacement threshold (66% or less).