I just love the efficiency…

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by AndysComputer, May 10, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Good point. I think I knew that, but in the moment was just trying to be as conservative as possible.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MandB

MandB New Member

This is a great thread and I appreciate seeing all of the unique range experiences. Quick question.
    On the Miles/KwH reading, I know there are two options when cycling through the display using the steering wheel stalk button.
    One of the KwH options changes dynamically as you drive (sometimes showing negative numbers if you’re coasting).
    The other one though doesn’t seem to budge at all for me and is “stuck” on 3.8 miles/KwH.
    Is that supposed to adjust automatically or is there a reset somewhere?
    Again, thanks all for the great comments and information.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

My assumption is that one is the instantaneous m/kwh (fun to watch, but dangerous on curvy roads) and the other is overall/trip m/kwh (which can be reset).

5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    One is average one is instantaneous

6. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

Did a road trip from Dayton to Columbus today, and for once, I set the cruise control to the speed limit (well, 2mph over the limit because of the BMW offset) and did my best to avoid rapid acceleration or decelerations (regen braking over friction brakes). Route was majority freeway with a 65-70 mph limit, and some light city street driving near the destination (~3 miles). A/C was on because it's the 21st century and this isn't a summer endurance test for the driver.

104.9 km travelled (65.18 mi)
    94% —> 38%
    56% used (16.18 kWh of 28.9 kWh cap.)
    Range est.: 187.3 km (116 mi)
    Eff. est.: 15.43 kWh/100km (4.03 mi/kWh)​

So I don't know, maybe the gravitational constant is different where y'all live?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
    mikeg0305, insightman and SameGuy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

Average, but over what period? Lifetime, or since the last reset? And, is this a more important statistic than the remaining battery charge?

9. SameGuy

YUL
    Until you reset it in iDrive, just like average speed. You can also set it to “auto-reset” but I don’t know what it considers to be a completed trip, an hour off the road? Three?

10. SameGuy

YUL
    Anybody have experience with an Emporia home energy monitor? Thinking of getting one, and will clamp one of the sensors to the EVSE’s circuit to get a better idea of wall-to-wheels consumption (my EVSE’s dumb ChargeLab app doesn’t show true consumption).

11. CuriousGeorge

FWIW, the trips I have recently been describing are only about half interstate. For a trip such as you describe, I would get similar efficiency:

https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/i-just-love-the-efficiency%E2%80%A6.18232/page-3#post-198390

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CuriousGeorge

IIRC, the statistics in the center display can be set to show the last 4 hours. Presumably that applies to the tablet info as well?

SameGuy likes this.
  14. fishbert

I have one. It's interesting for a bit, but then you tend to stop looking at it. Its power measurements are not going to be exact, because it only reads the current and makes an assumption on the voltage, but that's good enough for rough estimates.

My partner and I split household expenses, so the main use I get out of it is calculating what portion of the month's energy expenses went to charging my SE, so I can break that out separately and not have her pay for it.

[​IMG]

SameGuy likes this.
  15. ghost

ghost Active Member

If you hold the top button on the driver's display, a menu will pop up. You can reset the avg mi/kWh from this menu.

16. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

I set mine as a brand new calculation on each journey so I always know what the efficiency is at the very moment.

17. fishbert

You might hold off for a bit on that Emporia Vue. Just this morning I got an email (by mistake) thanking me for volunteering to be a beta tester of their 3rd generation Vue. They said the beta test will only run until August 8th, so it sounds like it’ll be on the market pretty quick.

SameGuy likes this.
  18. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

What a deal!

(My wife makes me pay for everything.)

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

19. fishbert

Did almost exactly the same trip again on Wednesday, only this time I drove like I normally do (~10mph over the limit).

105.3 km travelled (65.43 mi) ... away
    100% —> 37%
    63% used (18.21 kWh of 28.9 kWh cap.)
    Range est.: 167.1 km (104 mi)
    Eff. est.: 17.29 kWh/100km (3.59 mi/kWh)​

105.8 km travelled (65.74 mi) ... return
    88% —> 25%
    63% used (18.21 kWh of 28.9 kWh cap.)
    Range est.: 167.9 km (104 mi)
    Eff. est.: 17.21 kWh/100km (3.61 mi/kWh)​

CuriousGeorge and MichaelC like this.
  20. SameGuy

YUL
    Got my worst tank result since the sub-freezing temperatures of early spring. Didn’t bother doing the math, but travelled 101 km and it’s showing 20% remaining. That’s because at work I park in an open lot, and it has been sunny and upper 80s all week. Even though I use a windshield shade and two pop-in reflectors in the sunroof, I’ve used a half hour of cabin preconditioning before returning to my car every single day this week. At 4½¢ per kWh I’m ok with enjoying the comfort features offered by my car!

GetOffYourGas and Rogwp like this.
  21. CuriousGeorge

For the benefit of any non-owners who might read this thread, those numbers resonate with me.

fishbert, mikeg0305 and SameGuy like this.
  22. CuriousGeorge

Semi-rhetorical question: should that use of the energy stored in the battery really count against the range?

If you idled an ICE vehicle while running the A/C before starting a trip, would you count that against your MPG? (I assume most people wouldn't.)

SameGuy likes this.
  23. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I would. In this instance, cooling the vehicle to make it more pleasant is definitely part of the "cost" of the trip. Satisfying one's own desires also include going speeds in excess of 70mph, wonderfully rapid acceleration from a stop, and getting the most out of roundabouts.

for the record, I spend most of my driving in green+ mode. Still loving every drive.

SameGuy likes this.