I'm selling Jessie (the SE)...

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by F14Scott, May 25, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

Negative incentives are still incentives.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

But you failed to include the most important word, that is, "negative" in your post, did you?

So now, you are introducing new information by stating that "negative" incentive is what you really meant.

First of all, "negative" incentive would be equivalent to "penalty" which is what I originally asserted in my posts above, so you are actually agreeing with me. But your post seems otherwise.

Secondly, it's ok to introduce new information and/or verify what you really meant. But acknowledging that your original post didn't contain the said new information would be an intellectually honest thing to do.

4. fishbert

a) You appear to have me confused with someone else.

b) I can’t tell if you’re agreeing or disagreeing that negative incentives are still incentives. I’ll assume you’re agreeing (and trying to save some face), so this pedantic argument can be over now.

5. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

a) Yes I have.

b) I agree that "negative" incentive is equivalent to penalty/deterrent. But I don't agree that "incentive" itself is applicable to this instance.

Because the word "incentive" has an inherent positive connotation that promotes, encourages and advocates something.

What we are discussing here is to "discourage" a negative behavior (taking up charging spots), and citations and/or idling fees are examples of carrying out this "discouragement".

By calling a "deterrent/penalty" a "negative" incentive is no different than spinning

- fragrant fouls in ball games
    - late fee for missed payment of mortgages
    - penalty and interest in owed taxes
    etc etc

as "negative" incentive.

And the original post was about "monetary incentive" and not about "monetary negative incentive", hence my responses accordingly

Finally, I don't view these exchanges as "arguments" but "debates".

6. fishbert

That’s dancing around the question. It’s a simple yes/no… do you agree that a negative incentive is still an incentive?

Actually, I don’t care. I feel I’ve made the point.

I’d say “incentivizes”, which could go either way.

Some call it “using the English language.”

Wait… what were you just saying about ‘spinning’?

Can we end this here with a laugh? Please?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

To grant your wish, "laugh emoji"

fishbert likes this.
  9. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
  10. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

An incentive is motivation to do something. It can be positive or negative. You're grasping at straws.

SameGuy likes this.
  11. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wonder... I'm guessing the average city/apartment dweller probably drives 10-20 miles a day. That means a fill up every week or so, assuming no other charging at work or while shopping. So, two slots should serve 14 up to maybe 20 EVs (and that's assuming only one full charge, per slot, per day). In a 150 unit complex, that's about 5 to 10%, about the percentage of EVs on the road.

Coincidence, or the market adapting to demand?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. F14Scott

She took delivery of the S; it's beautiful and wickedly fast.

So, I got the 3! To celebrate, I got a new custom plate. :D

20230629_182015.jpg

MichaelC and insightman like this.
  14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

What's the little "R" in the middle that makes your plate work so well (especially for an F14 pilot)?

F14Scott likes this.
  15. F14Scott

In Texas, the maximum number of characters on a tag is seven. But, you can add a space to the seven. So, I requested AFT_BRNR and then added a vinyl decal "R" in the gap.

I chose a one-inch decal so as not to appear to be obfuscating the plate's real lettering. Many people here do the same thing with little heart decals or other punctuation.

insightman likes this.
  16. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    That’s cool! Here that would lead to an “altered plate” citation. :rolleyes:

chrunck and teslarati97 like this.
  17. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Rather have that than a burning aft from Bombay Mahal Jean-Tealon.

F14Scott likes this.
  18. fishbert

The little heart is an official character, though.

F14Scott likes this.