OEM tires on clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JKroll, Feb 19, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JKroll

JKroll Member

Totally stunned that at 60 k I am still on OEM tires. Probably need to be replaced now.

My CRV OEM went in about 28 K. Both cars were bought within 6 months of each other.

What kind of miles did you all get on OEM? Mine is Feb 2018 clarity

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. We’re at 34,000 miles and the tires are showing no indication of needing replacement. It wouldn’t be surprising to have 60,000 miles on the ticket before tread wear necessities new tires. Given our current driving routine, that number could be reached in about 5 years.

4. Johnhaydev

Johnhaydev Active Member

Replace my oem tires at about 25 k. 2 tires were due for replacement so replaced all 4. My mileage was mostly easy highway miles in Southern California.

5. JKroll

JKroll Member

Just to add it was Mich Energysaver a/s

6. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

My OEM set of Michelin Energy Saver A/S lasted barely over 20k. The second set is at 25k and probably can run another 5k, but I'll change them out before that. Last time I drove it in the rain, I could feel that the tires are pretty worn. Unlike some here, I do like the Michelin Energy Saver tires, so I will keep using them.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Think I replaced around 45k miles give or take.

9. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I need a replacement soon at 35k.

10. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I have not replaced OEM tires yet (~38K miles).

I am curious to hear other's criteria for replacement. Some have cited a feeling in the rain.
    Personally, I don't feel like my feelers are very dependable and I measure tread depth when rotating the tires.

The last time I rotated (36K) I measured an average depth (all 4 tires, outer, inner, and middle) of 5.2/32nds.
    But, the worst reading was 4/32 and the best was 5.8/32.

Is the old school philosophy of 3/32 still a thing? What criteria do others apply to this?

11. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I'm a little more cautious than wearing all the way tread-wear indicator. Usually I change them when there is a very slight amount of tire left over the tread-wear indicator, not much, maybe 1/32 to 1/16.

14. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

The wear indicator is the lowest you want to go down to. You know when to change when you start hydroplaning in the rain. :D

15. MrFixit

I know you're partly kidding. You can hydroplane with brand new tires.
    Since hydroplaning is insidious and can sneak up on you, it is not a great 'tool' to gauge tire condition !

I have a Ford Ranger that is horrific when it is wet (not hydroplaning, but just very slick). It has very aggressive tread that is nowhere near the wear bars, but I wonder if the tire compound has hardened due to age since it doesn't get used very much. I feel a little silly buying new tires when the old ones 'look' perfectly fine, but it really seems a little dangerous and I have to be very careful with wet roads. Of course pickups are not great anyway because they are very light in the back.

16. JKroll

JKroll Member

The only other tires which gave me more than 45 k miles were also michelin on my 1995 civic And I remember paying just $220 installed for all 4 at sears in 2005

Louis Nisenbaum likes this.
  17. NorCalPete

NorCalPete Active Member

At my last rotation at 32k miles the tread ranged from 4-5.5/32. Based on the wear rate, I expect to get at least 40k out of the OEM tires, and then replace them with the same. I'm still using the original battery too (2018 base model).

18. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

Absolutely possible, hard to say if truck or tires but old tires can kill (Paul Walker is likely the most famous example)

19. Was a tire failure determined to be the cause of the crash? If so, was tire age determined to be the cause of the failure?

20. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

@MrFixit Remember the crash that killed Paul Walker a few years back. They said the cause of the accident was old tires on the Porsche, which lost traction and the car wrapped around a tree. :( It does look kinda stupid to replace tires when they looked new but they do expires like everything else.

21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Paul Walker's 100+ mph speed in a 45-mph zone may have exacerbated the problem with the tires. That and the inconveniently placed tree.

David Towle likes this.
  22. Who is “they”? The vehicle was a 2005 Porsche CGT. The crash occurred in 2013. In theory that would make the tires 8 years old. The car has a legendary reputation for being extremely challenging to drive.

There is some history available on the vehicle. It had 6 owners. Records indicate that the non-OEM black wheels that were on the car at the time of the crash were installed after the car was sold in 2011. It isn’t clear if those wheels were fitted with new rubber and it would be presumptuous to conclude that a person spending $300K on a used car would splurge for both wheels and tires at the same time. It’s certainly possible that the tires were about 2 years old.

I would also question a forensic report that claims to have accurately determined the age of the tires based on the residue from the fiery crash.

23. MrFixit

Well, I had no idea who Paul Walker was...
    I had to google him - Different generation than me.