Charging our new Mini.

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by patash, Jan 13, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rogwp

Rogwp Active Member Subscriber

Unfortunately not on its own breaker. I tried a remote switch that I use for my fountain but it threw a fault at the EVSE, and I had to go outside to make it activate.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Rogwp

Yes I would use the MINI app to set departure time, but I want to be able to turn the charger of without getting wet, and yes that would occur very often!

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

When I was doing Level 1 charging I successfully used an Eve Energy smart plug, and had no issues with power draw. I'd think any number of smart plugs would work.

A bonus was being able to track consumption.

SE Level 1 08-21-2020.jpeg

SameGuy and Rogwp like this.
  5. Rogwp

That looks like what I need! Many thanks.

SameGuy likes this.
  6. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Most of the WiFi outlets running a version of Tuya control have very low power or current limits, often on the order of ~400-600 Watts or maybe ~5 Amps. There are a couple of dongle-style controllable outlets that have higher limits, claiming to be able to handle 1200 W resistive loads — I think Geeni makes one. But it’s likely more reliable to go with a fixed outlet device like those from Leviton or GE that can handle 15 A on the controlled receptacle. These most often work with a communications protocol and radio frequency (that requires an external steering device, such as a smart home hub), either Zwave or ZigBee. Else, a dedicated heavy-duty relay such as the 40A units from GE and Aeotec.

Rogwp likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rogwp

I have Geenie outlets throughout the house, but I was worried that they couldn’t handle the draw. I’ll try one tomorrow for giggles.

SameGuy likes this.
  9. Rogwp likes this.
  10. SameGuy

YUL
    I got a dongle-style one for my mom a couple of years ago, and I believe it’s good for 15 Amps — there was a picture of a car on the front, probably signifying it’s used for block heaters.

Rogwp likes this.
  11. SameGuy

YUL
    Rogwp likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rogwp

….and it’s in stock at my local store! Many thanks @SameGuy

SameGuy likes this.
  14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Be sure to tell us how you get this command to work: "Alexa, charge MINI to 80%."

15. SameGuy

YUL
    Lol

Perhaps not, but he can just keep an eye on the widget and when it’s approaching it he can ask her to shut off the outlet. It’s still a passive solution, but better than having to go outside to unplug.

Rogwp likes this.
  16. Rogwp

I have a solution, I think. It’s an app called Kilowatt on my iPhone. It has the MINI info in there and you just input the current SoC, select the charging level (in Kw) and hit the 80% button. It displays a countdown timer with a finish time. All I need to do is set the Wi-Fi plug to turn off at that time. All without getting wet - the important part. :)

SameGuy and insightman like this.
  17. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

I have an EVSE that can do timed charging.
    1% charge per 2.7minutes is pretty close at max AC charge rate (7.2kW)

SameGuy likes this.
  18. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

Just need to take into account the overhead. For lvl 1 charging it is something like 30%. So if you need to add 10kWh to your battery you will need ~13kWh from the outlet.

SameGuy and Rogwp like this.
  19. Rogwp

Yes thanks, I will adjust the timing as needed when I get the WiFi outlet.
    Edit:
    I think the app includes that, for the MINI, on the app it shows level 1 as 1KW and I have 1.2KW.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023