MINI SE Electric: Hood scoop or nah?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Pushmi-Pullyu, Sep 20, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

How can I disagree with that?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

The hood scoop isn't doing a very good job at sucking.

4. insightman

Now that @sacharama has deemed the skeuomorphic fake hood scoop "very effective," I'm forced to reconsider my appreciation for the SE's lack of fake exhaust pipes. Here, I fixed that unfortunate omission:

upload_2023-1-20_1-33-24.png

Tommm likes this.
  5. KiwiRob

KiwiRob Member

now that the scoop is gone you should update the grill insert to the newer one, I think it would suit the new scoop less bonnet more than the one on the car.

6. insightman

I don't complain about the 2022/23 grille, but I see it as a concession to those who thought my original SE was "too electric looking."

I've actually considered purchasing a spare 2020/21 grille to display in my basement man-cave above my Power Spoke wheels (which I mount only for car shows because I'm terrified of curbing them, even though I've never curbed my daily Loop Spokes).

Puppethead likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. teslarati97

I think he's onto something...

fish4.jpg

SameGuy, insightman and Qisl like this.
  9. KiwiRob

KiwiRob Member

Those power spoke wheels need to be binned along with the fishmouth grill, neither of them are befitting the MINI Cooper SE! I do like your scoopless bonnet, I'm surprised nobody has made a 3d printed plug people can buy paint and fit.

ghost likes this.
  10. ghost

ghost Active Member

I would buy one and a closed grille, especially if it meant more efficiency.

11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I love my Power Spoke wheels, a significant reason I went with the Iconic trim. I also much prefer the original SE fascia (I don't want to call it a grille since no air flows through it) to the 2022 LSI frontend. In my opinion, the blockiness of the new design isn't as enticing as MINIs previous grille designs.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Diff’rent strokes. I’m glad my MINI-looking MINI has a MINI-looking “grille.” I got rid of the plug-blob emblem on the back and I may even change the color of the “S” badges (but maybe not). But I, too, love its Power Spoke summer wheels. And no, @insightman , I won’t be getting a fake twin exhaust tip and valance! :cool:

insightman likes this.
  14. insightman

During the week I had to live with the hood scoop:

upload_2023-1-30_17-14-50.png

KiwiRob and ghost like this.
  15. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

I said "effective aesthetically" which involves emotion, feeling and psychology in this case that's associated with visual cues.

Your assertion/suggestion of adding the faux tailpipes is not the same thing unless one would argue that the center dual pipes on the mini Cooper s are so unique and identifiable that it would trigger joyous and satisfying emotion. If that's the case, the faux tail pipes might be a reasonable option for that individual.

One would also argue that If removing anything that doesn't possess an absolute practical function or purpose, then many of the trim pieces and panels inside the car should also be removed as they are there to act as a cohesive aesthetic elements to conceal gaps, holes, uneven surfaces that would otherwise make the interior look and feel "unfinished".

insightman likes this.
  16. insightman

Yes, I can't claim my love for the MINI interior isn't emotional, but the interior is also functional and none of the interior pieces are pretending to have functions like the fake hood scoop.

It appears MINI's designers are removing from the Zhangjiagang SE's interior anything that doesn't possess an absolute practical function or purpose unless it can't be moved to the center screen.

17. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

I would also prefer the scoopless hood, but don’t have the commitment of insightman to go through with a scoopectomy.

Disappointed to see the sparse aesthetic of the upcoming MINI. I hope it doesn’t end up looking bargain-basement.

18. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

I don't think the "interior surface aluminum" is actually made of aluminum. So in a way they are pretending to be aluminum in its actual property.
    And the property of a matter (e.g. aluminum) possess both function and appearance.

19. insightman

You've got me. It never occured to me to convert any interior materials that look like aluminum to actual aluminum--I'm not sure my 2021 Iconic SE has any fake aluminum interior bits. I doubt such a substitution would give me the same satisfaction I feel every time I see a MINI with a hood scoop.

Now that I have a scoopless hood and a Bimmercode-enabled AM radio, my SE is perfect.

SameGuy likes this.
  20. teslarati97

I prefer the fake aluminum as the old E90/92 was seatbelt ding galore!

21. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

And I am very glad that you are able to make your SE perfect to you.

Another way to look at the scoop in regards to the Cooper S is that the scoop was there for the supercharger in the original redesigned/reintroduced/re-whatever term that you prefer R50 Cooper S which I owned.

Since about 2007 if I recall correctly, the Cooper S had the turbo instead of the supercharger but the scoop remained.

In a way, it's a visual identity/lineage of the "S" since the SE is a "S" that's electrified.

Again, it's not a physical function in terms of engineering, but it is about emotional function for lack of a better term which is an essential component of aesthetics and design.

22. insightman

Your recollection of the history of the MINI Cooper S hood scoop is correct. There was a time when the hood scoop was functional. The designer of the MINI Electric did not intend for that car to have a hood scoop.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  23. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

Design is a process that involves different iteration, evolution, modification and etc. Just because the designers originally came up with the concept of an electric mini that is scoop-less does not mean that the decision to include the scoop for the final production model is invalid or inappropriate.

This is the same company so it's not like a new company took over and decided to change the design of a vehicle. Instead, it's an evolution and progression of the design process.