Ambient lighting annoyance

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by SpeedyRS, Jan 20, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SpeedyRS

SpeedyRS Well-Known Member

Are you able to toggle back to blue using the roof mounted toggle? Does it stay the colour you’ve chosen when you next use the car?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ghost

ghost Active Member

I haven't tried the toggle switch, yet. I tried using the menus to change colors: I can switch to red (sport) and back to blue (now purple).

Yeah, the color stays the same, but I think I coded for that in Bimmercode.

4. SpeedyRS

The menu lets you select lounge, sport or “none” options, but to change the colours you need to use the toggle switch. The lounge colours are more pastels and the sport ones are more vibrant.

ghost likes this.
  5. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

Bimmercode fan here, but when you change Head mode it resets your buttons. So figure out what you want and leave it. I haven't had any issues with comfort lighting, it goes the same every time I start up. It's set to yellow-green to match the other E-highlights inside. I love it.

SpeedyRS likes this.
  6. ghost

ghost Active Member

Thanks, toggle switch worked, and it's staying blue now. I must've hit it accidentally and changed to purple.

SpeedyRS likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Resurfacing this in hopes someone found a fix (aside from Bimmercode). I took my car in for service a couple weeks ago as my seat warmer in the driver seat failed and needed to be replaced. They also performed some sort of reset of the car's software and now I can't select/save a color on the ambient light ring just as this user posted ~1 yr ago.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

9. SpeedyRS

Resetting the ECU worked for me when applying a change using Bimmercode, but if you don’t have it you should be able to reset the ECU bu disconnecting the 12V battery for a short time.

10. @SpeedyRS thanks so much for replying! I've never reset the ECU (what is the ECU btw? hehe) are there instructions somewhere on how to do this? Is there a risk in me screwing something else up if I do this? Sorry, I'm relatively new to the SE. Thanks!

11. SpeedyRS

Hi David. No problem :) The ECU is the car’s brain. All you need to do if you don’t have Bimmercode is disconnect the 12V battery for a minute or two. You’re not touching the HV side of the electrics; just the 12V battery like you’d have in any car or bike. When you reconnect it hopefully your issue will be resolved. Mine hasn’t been plugged into the dealer’s computer since and it’s still working as it should. If you’re not confident doing that yourself, take it to your dealer if you can and one of their guys should be able to do it for you pretty quickly. I hope you get it fixed as it’s an annoying little issue.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Thank you for the add'l clarification! So I popped the hood and took a look around and it wasn't apparently obvious what I should disconnect? I can only assume I need to somehow remove the grey cover? Thank you again for taking the time to walk me through this, much appreciated!

Attached Files:

14. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Underneath the big gray cover is the electric motor and heat pump, the 12 V battery is underneath the black cover on the top right. Under that red circular cover is the positive terminal for the 12 V battery.

15. @Puppethead got it thanks for clarifying. I'll take a closer look when I have more time to take the black cover off to access the battery.

16. teddybare

teddybare Member

hi on the subject of resetting ..does bimmercode allow a factory reset ,i have the usual beeps and sport mode default done,but seeing as it will have its first inspection soon i like it to be normal if you see what i mean when i take it in ..thanks

17. thesilvad

thesilvad New Member

Bimmercode automatically creates backups the moment you read any of the ECUs. If you have all the backups, you can just go into each ECU that you coded and select the oldest one. This is assuming you are still using the same phone you used originally when coding the car, or have backed up the backup files.

18. teddybare

teddybare Member

Thanks for that....

19. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Note that these back ups won’t be of any use if the dealership recodes the VO, you will have to go back in to each module and customize them the way you like one by one.

teslarati97 and thesilvad like this.
  20. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Facts. I did get my 3G sunset update in December and I had to recode everything, including AM radio.

insightman and SameGuy like this.
  21. teddybare

teddybare Member

22. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Yeah that’ll save the user profiles associated with the fobs and the guest. But it won’t save BimmerCode changes.

23. teddybare

teddybare Member

ok cheers...