Would you buy a used SE without the benefit of a warranty?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by gosjsgdi, Oct 18, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Pitting hydrogen against electric is falling into the FUD being driven by entrenched big oil interests. Gets the better technology camps tearing at each other to slow the switch away from ICE.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I admire what you own/drive but I’m only own small cars and with my 2014 I 3 I beat any SE speed wise bc rear drive and 2600 lbs and as we love SE this is reality nobody want to admit as a proud SE owners as I own SE 9 months and I 3 6 years and 911 and 944 and race a cars in EU in 1970 sties I know what I’m talking about .

Tifosi likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I closely followed @Tifosi's mods to his SE. If he says it is the least-fun car in his stable, it's not because he didn't try. Personally, I don't see how a 5,000-lb Q7 could ever be as much fun as his cornering-enhanced 3,100-lb SE.

Not only am I blessed to be one of the few MINI Cooper SE owners in the world, but I'm also blessed that I've never driven a car that's more fun. I just returned from a ribs-run and had a total blast--as usual.

@Tifosi, I hope your ankle is healing well and your primary platform soon regains its cornering ability.

5. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

How the wipers from Hydrogen cars as water exhaust will do on cold climates which is 1/2 of USA on a roadways making roads as ice ?

6. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I forgot he lives in Arizona

Tifosi likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

Thanks for the nice words, ankle is good! back on the bike! lol

Yes, the Q7 is not more fun, but faster, more comfy, better stereo, and easier to get in and out of for sure! lol

I am way jaded. I was the chief instructor at a Ferrari racing school as well as road raced for 15 years. I have driven a lot of epic cars, including a Ferrari GP car from 1954, twin turbo Lambo GTR race cars, Michelotto 360 GT champion cars, RUF's of many iterations, etc.

9. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

I wish we had ice! What is ice? :D

10. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

we need to slow it as there is no infrastructure to support the pace at which the tech is being pushed. CA is already telling EV owners NOT to charge on some hot summer days! lol

teslarati97 likes this.
  11. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Puppethead drive in MN Hydrogen car as you need more ice on your roads as they spilling water from exhaust pipes - joke .

Puppethead likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

As I’m Living in NY is not a issue yet to charge EV but I will not be surprised if this come here soon as all over a country once we close a spigots on all energy just only green which can’t do it for next 50 years if we not get technology from out of this WORLD

Tifosi likes this.
  14. insightman

I'm so lucky to have progressed from an Austin-Healey 100-6 to a Fiat-Abarth OT1000 (stroked Fiat 850 convertable), a Porsche 914 2.0, a Mazda RX-7, 2 consecutive Honda CRX Si's, then 2 consecutive gen-1 Honda Insights. I enjoyed every one of those cars more than their predecessors and the MINI Cooper SE tops them all. I don't know how you cannot be bored with anything remotely affordable after the amazing cars you've driven.

GetOffYourGas and Tifosi like this.
  15. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

I had a 86 CRX Si, with full Jackson Racing mods. it was so fun! Great car. First car I auto-x'ed in! Wish I still had it!

I am bored by modern cars, they take away the driver's job IMHO. All the modern safety features, paddle shifters, etc. Cars are faster and safer, but way less fun.

turbofuzzy, azausa and insightman like this.
  16. Good idea. Here's one from somebody that isn't funded by an oil company. The only supporters of Hydrogen for transport are selling the 21st century version of Betamax.
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ese3.956

SameGuy likes this.
  17. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

A few points:
    1. hydrogen is cleaner tech only if it isn't generated from fossil fuels.
    2. With respect to recycling LI-ion batteries, as a result of the IRA, all of those Chinese batteries will be recycled into American made batteries. (So, recycled Li will then be American and will qualify for a federal tax credit.)
    3. This company, https://graphenemg.com/energy-storage-solutions/aluminum-ion-battery/, claims to be working on a better battery that doesn't use rare earth metals.
    4. This URL, https://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/electric-vehicle-myths#Myth2, shows that EVs are better for the environment than ICE vehicles, even if you include the manufacturing. So, yes, while we're outsourcing our EV manufacturing pollution to China, they are still better for the environment than ICE cars. And lastly,
    5. If you think the EV charging network is bad, just look at the hydrogen gas stations all around. I would consider purchasing a Toyota Mirai, but there's a dearth of places to fill up in Texas. At least I can charge my future SE at home, which is powered remotely by solar and wind energy.

18. insightman

LOL! After decades of American recyclables being salvaged in China, the worm turns! Too bad we can't get worms to do the salvaging.

Domenick and Tifosi like this.
  19. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Man, what a list! For those of us with much more modest means, the SE represents a whole lot of fun for not a whole lot of money.

The only car I’ve owned that rivals it was a 2004 Honda S2000. I’ve never raced nor autocrossed, nor do I care about cruising at 120MPH. I live for the twisties. That thing would tear through them. The SE isn’t bad either ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

SameGuy and insightman like this.
  20. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

S2000 is a killer car!

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  21. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Agreed. I had to sell when my first was born. I remind him of that on occasion ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

22. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

lol, yea, we had a S/C MRoadster that was a victim of the same fate! Wish I had that one back!

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  23. gosjsgdi

gosjsgdi Member

Now down to $25,250. I have to admit that’s pretty darned tempting. Anyone have any idea what it costs to have car delivered from OK to VA? [Edit: Decently rated transporter has it quoted at $909.] Feels like I could get it delivered to me and still come under the price point I was looking for. I’d just have to cope with the idea of buying it over the interwebz.

What’s the defining feature that relegates it to base model status? The lack of moon roof? Probably no upgraded HK audio? Either way, it seems like it’s still coming pretty well equipped (heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise control, the bigger touchscreen, self-parking, roof rails).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022