Would you buy a used SE without the benefit of a warranty?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by gosjsgdi, Oct 18, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

I think he was using hyperbole to prove the point. I doubt there are 10x the number, but the point is valid (at least I think it is).

SameGuy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Well, if there were three available on August 16, and there are 30 now…

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Perhaps MINI shipped more SEs in that period, after a delay in finishing vehicles over the summer. Claiming the extra availability is due to the passage of the IRA is premature, I think. This could be an example of correlation not implying causation.

SameGuy and Tifosi like this.
  5. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Nope. I checked in mid-August, in hopes of buying one before the IRA was signed. At the time, 9 were listed as being at dealers or "coming soon". I have been checking periodically ever since, and the number has steadily risen to over 100.

insightman and SameGuy like this.
  6. CuriousGeorge

New vehicles only. 110* (just checked)/9 = 12.2.

*Soon to be one more, as the car I ordered just started its trans-Atlantic voyage.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CuriousGeorge

Which is why I wrote "First part of the gosjsgdi's theory seems to be coming true".

SameGuy likes this.
  9. luluna

luluna New Member

I would think that it would just be common sense if the cost were to suddenly increase by like 15-20%(depending on trim), demand would go down and supply would go up...no? With a 4-6 month overhead, people have to plan their finances well in advance - most people can't just absorb an unexpected $7.5k.

The quantity can be debated, but that's fairly easy too. We know there is STILL a sizable list of people still waiting for their Mini SE to be built. That means that any new SE in our market were likely built to satisfy specific orders - and we knew that pre-Aug 16, most of these orders were spoken for, AND most people actually bought the car that they reserved. Now there is a sudden surge of inventory...

It's...I'm not even sure why there's a debate at all.

10. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

I started tracking it a week ago:

Code:

total    signature 2.0    iconic 2.0     signature +
    22-oct-22     93      65                    25                2
    23-oct-22     93      65                    25                2 
    24-oct-22     93      65                    25                2
    25-oct-22     99      68                    28                2
    26-oct-22     104     72                    29                2
    27-oct-22     107     75                    29                2

Let's see what it looks like at the end of the year.

11. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Because internet

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. gosjsgdi

gosjsgdi Member

As mentioned earlier in this thread, a MINI SE is 100% an indulgence for us, so I’ve got all the time in the world. I’ve been watching a particular low-mileage, used SE for a couple of weeks and the price history tracker in edmunds.com suggests that it has dropped $4,500 in about a month and a half. If this one drops below $30K, or other low-mileage Iconics drop to/below the lower third of the $30K range, I may jump in at that price range.

14. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

@gosjsgdi I hear ya. Its a financial decision for us. We have 4 other gas cars that I enjoy driving. The mini is OK. Its fun. Its not nearly as fun as any of the others. We drive it to save money. We are not saving the world (the build process and batteries take more from the environment than a gas gar creates) so there is no reason to own an EV if the financial side doesn't make sense. The best tech for the environment is a hydrogen car. Once the financial side becomes an accurate picture without govt subsidies, things will slow way down. Its absurd that anyone thinks we can move to a pure EV fleet (CA is insane, glad I moved out) as there is no infrastructure to support it. At $6/gallon gas in the other German's, I am happy to be saving money and the MINI literally pays for itself. If it did not pay for itself, I would drive the M3 or Q7 daily. I broke my ankle and could not drive the MINI comfortably, so did daily the Q for 6 weeks, man is it a better experience in every way (except filling up).

gosjsgdi, GetOffYourGas and Rexsio like this.
  15. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
  16. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Once I search for my SE I December 2021 to buy right away paying cash and I located a car my dealer took $1000 deposit and week later he threat me if I don’t picup a car before 31 December he sell to Someone else but I want a car on January 3rd of new year bc of my earnings in 2022 for my tax purposes but he didn’t know he can claim his taxes in first day of new year for previous year.Once I explained to him he agree and I have my car on January 3rd .Once I have a car in my possession I told him in a year he not going to have room on his lot to collects Mini Coopers SE and what you are saying now 30 where you are in I believe in Montreal could be really reality.

17. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Like BMW I 3 sold about 60000 cars in 8 years SE is in a same range that means nothing to selling cars in USA but we love a car anyway .

18. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I agree simply driving an EV isn’t doing a whole lot to cut one’s environmental impact, but man hard disagree on everything else.

If you enjoy the Q more then maybe it’s just different strokes? A subcompact car with limited mobility sounds challenging. I traded my Macan S (basically a souped up Q5) which I enjoyed for the SE and the SE is better in every regard. Don’t miss it one but aside for the PDK fart noises.

GetOffYourGas and Rexsio like this.
  19. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

I enjoy driving. Currently have these: e46 M3 Cabrio 6-spd CSL Clone, 85 Euro 500SL AMG, 99 996, 2000 328ci 5-spd (kiddos ride) and the 17 q7 (sq7 spec), e36 m3 PTG widebody Track car (with e90 m3 v8) and... the MINI. You can see I like cars of a certain "age" - when cars were made for drivers, some dont even have cup holders!

M3 - is way more fun in all ways
    SL - unique and awesome cruiser
    996 - loaner from my mom to my kid while his car is in the shop (lucky kid)
    328ci - super analog manual for a teen to learn what a car is, slow and handles awesome
    e36 M3 - track car, nuff said
    q7 - tows 7700 lbs (race trailer, boat, etc) seats 7, 500lbs torque, can cruise at 150mph+* (not that I know this), super comfy for 5 and can hold 7. Great in the snow for ski trips.
    Mini - fun electric toy, too small inside for more than 2 people, can only go 90 miles

The mini is light years better than the i3 it replaced. But it is what it is. Its not a sports car. Its not a good car for hauling. It wont tow anything. But its great to go the 15 miles to the office or take me to the trailhead to go biking.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  20. How do you figure that?

SameGuy likes this.
  21. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

If you driving 15 miles an I 3 is like limousine compering to SE you can put 6’ person in rear sit try with SE and get in or out you can compare both and as carbon fiber body will last I 3 can last 40 years and I put two adults bikes in I 3 and close a hatch . I drive I 3 six years I know what I’m saying a SE is really MINI which I own now as I love a car .

22. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

well, its just a cleaner tech. This is pretty well accepted science. You can google as much as you want, but here are a couple articles:

Hydrogen-fueled cars have some advantages over EVs.
    - They can run for 300 miles, and fueling up takes 10 minutes. EVs can go about 200 miles, and juicing up can take 45 minutes.
    - EVs lose range in cold weather. But hydrogen cars do not.
    - Most importantly, the exhaust gas from a hydrogen engine consists of pure water vapor. It is therefore emissions-free.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/kensilverstein/2022/08/10/electric-vehicles-or-hydrogen-fuel-cell-cars-the-inflation-reduction-act-will-fuel-both/?sh=30b78d734d01

"How do FECVs and BEVs compare in regard to environmental friendliness?
    FCEVs are also the best option in terms of environmental impact, as fuel cells can be a 100 percent renewable and environmentally friendly energy system. In the absence of adequate recycling systems, the lithium-ion batteries used in BEVs are expected to cause a serious environmental crisis when they reach the end of their useful lives.

While driving, the car emits pure water vapor and filters ultrafine dust from the atmosphere. This fundamental feature of the FCEV has drawn a lot of public attention as the future of eco-friendly mobility. This technology may have a huge impact on our lifestyle in terms of sustainability due to the abundance of hydrogen on Earth and the production process itself being highly eco-friendly.

Overall, FCEVs are cleaner than BEVs and internal combustion vehicles, with additional room for improvement as hydrogen generation and distribution advances. FCEV production is also cleaner than BEV production due to fewer raw material requirements compared to BEV mineral mining and the consumption of heavy metals such as lithium and cobalt. FCEVs are also easier (and cheaper) to recycle than BEVs."
    https://www.greenbiz.com/article/battle-over-electric-vehicles-could-hydrogen-win

EVs are not great for the environment. All it does is shift emissions to unregulated countries like China were the rare earths are mined. Ever been to China? I have, many times. I am sure I am going to live 5 years less from the air I breathed while there! lol There are many data points that show clean burning fossile fule vehicles are far better overall for the environment (when looking at the FULL lifecycle). Its just that the media and talking head politicos are on a clean energy kick, without really disclosing all the "gotchas"

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  23. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

yes, the i3 was far more spacious, but the Mini is a better car in every way IMHO. Had an i3 for 3 years, FYI.