Would you buy a used SE without the benefit of a warranty?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by gosjsgdi, Oct 18, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

There is a ‘22 used SE on CARS for $28K.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

gosjsgdi likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

Why would you assume the factory warranty not transfer to the second owner? Check with Mini for sure but this says 50,000 mile warranty and 100,000 mile battery warranty. At 114 mile range, that’s 877 charges give or take. https://www.miniusa.com/model/electric-hardtop.html

gosjsgdi likes this.
  4. gosjsgdi

gosjsgdi Member

If there was no warranty, what would be covering the battery?

(Thanks for the response — have enjoyed perusing your Mini-related content on your YouTube channel!)

5. gosjsgdi

gosjsgdi Member

Call it a hedge. I’ve seen both outcomes in various google searches; that the coverage is transferable to the second owner, and that “coverage probably transfers to the second owner, but it depends.” But, specific to the Mini SE, I did just find this on miniusa.com:

FD9E2E7E-5D70-4E30-8517-F8228077AEAE.jpeg
    That clause with the asterisk leaves some room for intepretation regarding how “coverage” is defined, given that the word coverage was not otherwise used in that paragraph. Is the coverage the complementary maintenance? Or is it the various warranties from the first sentence?

Texas22Step likes this.
  6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Whoa, my 2021 SE only had a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Now that's a reasonable price for a used car. Factor in the $4k tax credit, and it's a really good deal, at least in the present market.

Alas, it appears to be a base model (I want my MTV...er, moon roof).

gosjsgdi likes this.
  9. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

In my US ‘22 owner’s manual warranty booklet, it says 50k warranty with 100k on the battery. There is also a post card in the back to send in for address or ownership change. It certainly would not hurt to reach out to Mini. They were always very helpful when I would call asking delivery questions. https://www.miniusa.com/footer-navigation/contact.html

Also don’t forget that even though the federal credit died, some states still have rebates.

gosjsgdi likes this.
  10. gosjsgdi

gosjsgdi Member

Appreciate it! After looking at the carfax reports for a few used listings, it seems like a pretty good bet that the warranty transfers. (Not every report indicated that, but enough reports did to give me some confidence there.)

As far as state rebates are concerned, my state (Virginia) did pass some form of rebate, but it hasn’t been funded or implemented. Seems that it’s stuck in some kind of legislative/gubernatorial purgatory.

11. Driften

Driften New Member

It's only the maintenance that is only covered for the original owner. At least the Mini dealer I bought mine from stated that. It's also how BMW treated the i3 after 2016 I think... I know my 2014 i3 included the maintenance for the second owner, but my 2018 i3 didn't.

gosjsgdi likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

My experience with MINI is the warranty transfers with the car, but optional extended warranty can only transfer if sale is from owner to owner. Any extended warranty is nullified if car is sold to dealer.

14. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Texas22Step and MichaelC like this.
  15. Puppethead

Whoops, I was confusing maintenance and warranty.

Texas22Step likes this.
  16. gosjsgdi

gosjsgdi Member

Well, I’m glad I my circle-jerk of a thread paid off for ya!

Tommm likes this.
  17. As a rule, if a late-model car is offered at a dealership without a warranty, there's a reason for it.
    YMMV, but caveat emptor.

18. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

I would have no issue buying without a warranty. Plus you can always buy an aftermarket warranty if you are concerned.

19. Cindy B

Cindy B Member

I can only speak to our experience, but as others have said, I wouldn't hesitate IF a used SE was priced right. Ours has been trouble free and seems to be well made with above average components and materials. I would add, if you want an EV sports car, you really don't have another affordable option. What is priced right? One where the seller has knocked off the $7500 they got back on their taxes when they bought. Nothing makes me more frustrated than the individuals who are gaming the tax credit policies and buying and selling EVs to claim the tax credit over and over again while not passing on their savings to the buyer.

20. Tifosi

Tifosi Active Member

Be mad at me Cindy, as that GAME is the ONLY reason I have an EV.

market sets the resale price, not the "deal" that the buyer got.

SameGuy likes this.
  21. I, a fellow crackpot, also I ascribe to this theory.

I predict February and March will see a huge decline in see car prices and an increase in new car supply.

Tifosi likes this.
  22. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

First part of the gosjsgdi's theory seems to be coming true: the number of SEs for sale by dealerships has now risen over 10 fold since passage of the IRA. Although most are the lower model, more and more Iconics are starting to pop up.

Tifosi likes this.
  23. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I don't know how many were available on August 16th--what number is 10-fold? How many are new SEs? Are there many used without warranty?