Question for those in Colorado.

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Quiet Mini, Oct 3, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

On today’s TFLTalk podcast they half heartedly threw out a challenge to anyone that can make it to Vail in a Cooper SE on one charge.

Think it can be done? They didn’t mention the start point but let’s assume somewhere in west Denver such as the EA charger at Colorado Mills.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Google Maps shows 87 miles between Colorado Mills and Vail. Vail is at 8,150 feet elevation and Colorado Mills is 5,759 feet high--not a huge difference. Knowing that some can extract 170+ miles from the SE's battery, it certainly seems Vail would be within within the SE's green bubble.

4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Assume it's TFL studios in Boulder, CO so a 110 mile trip to to Vail.

5. Quiet Mini

Plus you have to go up to 11,000’ down to around 9,000 and back to almost 11,000 before heading down to Vail. I think I could do it from Denver, probably not from Boulder.

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I think it could be doable with aggressive use of the cruise control. Assuming 150+ miles of range that leaves 40 miles for climbing on the 110-mile trip. Also air is thinner at the higher altitudes, so lower resistance.

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

9. Quiet Mini

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a time cruise control could be used in I70 traffic. However I know I can make it from Denver to Frisco with 36% left without any effort so in Green+ and maybe taking highway 6 out of Golden to avoid the first steep grade on I70 maybe the route from Boulder is achievable.

10. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    JUST DO IT.™

Texas22Step and insightman like this.
  11. RunOnE

RunOnE Member

Yes it should be easy to do this. I did a trip from Colorado Mills to Dillon and back on a single charge, and the trip to Vail is similar but shorter. I wouldn’t do it without charging at Target first though. I may see if I can do this in the next couple of weeks and report back.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

now it the time to do it. No AC, no heat, green mode. My suitemate did it with his Tesla last year. He lives just east of DTC. Charged the car at the public lot in Lionshead when he got there, drove around for the day, then drove back. The point of his story was the regenerative braking. Even with errands, he had more battery when he got home than when he got to Vail.

14. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

Maybe. I think I would be really nervous. I also don’t know how to drive really slow in a mini on the highway it’s like humanely impossible.
    But with the crazy I-70 traffic. There may be enough stop and go to regen ?
    Are they trying to rally a bunch of SE to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

SameGuy likes this.
  15. Ericwc

Ericwc New Member

Maybe but if TFL put out the challenge it won't be easy they had a mini se that they did a bunch of testing with so they know what it will and won't do.

16. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Just don’t do it on CrossClimate 2s like them and you should be money

Quiet Mini, insightman and MichaelC like this.
  17. Jawad Malik

Jawad Malik Member

I have made the trip to Keystone/Dillon from Golden a couple of times and have been able to get back home with 20% battery remaining. That's with a lot of downhill driving on the way back. I would think going further west past Dillon, over Vail pass would bring the battery pretty close to empty but then going downhill from Vail pass into Vail would regenerate some energy, so it might be just barely possible to reach Vail under the right conditions.

18. Quiet Mini

It was more of an off topic comment by a guest host with a little discussion. Not an official challenge per se. It’s around minute 15-16 in yesterdays podcast. I was just curious if it was possible. One thing interesting to me on that road is I did not seem to regain as much battery percent as I anticipated coming out of the tunnel down into Dillon.

For whatever reason they seem to get poor range with their SE compared to what I usually see. I do have the light cheap 16” wheels though.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  19. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Think it is the lighter wheels or the lighter foot?

20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

@SameGuy nailed it: they chose the wrong tires for max range.

Texas22Step, MichaelC and SameGuy like this.
  21. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

If you keep the speed down, climate off, and are very smooth with your right foot and speed (use green mode) I can’t see why it’s not possible to safely do it.

SameGuy likes this.