Mini Acemen Announcement 27 July!

Discussion in 'Aceman' started by DerekG, Jul 25, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    I'm OK with minimalism up to a point, but it really aggravates me that i have to go into a menu system to adjust mirrors, steering wheel, things like that. It's easy to go overboard.

And the real problem is not the minimalism itself, but now i'm at the mercy of software developers feeling the need to change everything completely with every major OS, like Tesla, Microsoft, Apple, and Google love to do. Simple (but important) controls, go missing after the update until i can find them again. If they get buried under another level, now i'm pissed. Physical, or at least immovable controls for certain things are an important check against what i see as too much power in the hands of the programmers.

That's why people hate computers so much. You spend an inordinate amount of time learning to use a tool, only to have to grab the new manual and learning stupid stuff (or googling) all over again. There's just way too much change for the sake of change with computers. Feeling the same way about my car as i do my computer is not cool.

azausa, GetOffYourGas and GvilleGuy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Adjusting the mirrors and steering doesn’t bother me as I did it once and it saved it under my driver profile along with the seat position, and it adjusts to my wife’s profile when she drives, so it’s fine.
    What I don’t like is the headlight and wiper controls being a mixture of stalk and screen.

As for things changing, that is an issue. For example you used to be able to see your trip meters below the FSD display by swiping, now you have to go into a sun menu to check your trip meter and can’t have it always visible unless you want it taking over the whole screen at the expense of navigation etc. so I hear you…

But on the flip side the constant updates add a lot of new functionality. For example the battery charge estimation when navigating was always miles ahead of other cars, but now it takes into account wind direction/speed. And the latest update which had just started showing up also considers air pressure, tire pressure, 12v accessory power draw etc to make an even more precise estimate. Cool stuff!

4. Laker2016

Laker2016 New Member

I want rounded headlights.

insightman and GvilleGuy like this.
  5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    The Countryman (Paceman) already doesn’t (didn’t) have round headlamp clusters. This concept isn’t for the Cooper Hatch/Hardtop.

6. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    Teslas i feel will always be miles ahead of others in functionality and features, so the software centered model is a trade-off that may or may not be worth it to a driver. They really have done amazing things. I can't see BMW or any other car being close in terms of sophistication - unless they hire Tesla to do their software. So the biggest news on OS updates will probably be a new look and not much substance.

Maybe the Chinese will do the software - that's a whole other issue that scares the crap out of me. Security always seems to be an afterthought and playing catch up with vulnerabilities and data sucking concerns. There's a bigger potential to do software wrong than right. In the end i hope MINI remains a driver's car first and minimalist regarding software. But that doesn't seem to be the big selling point when you look at this launch event. Everyone seems to be trying to compete with Tesla on the tech aspect. The car itself is not the point.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    But i do love that round display.

9. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

What always impressed me about the Tesla when we had it, is that they appear to have software control - or sometimes just reading values - of every system/function in the vehicle, no matter how important, or not, that system is. It makes it easy for them to add functionality requested by owners and just push it in an OTA update. For example, they stopped putting lumbar adjustment in the front passenger seats of some models, because they had data on how infrequently it was ever used across the fleet - sure it means Teslas report back tons of data, but it couldn't report it, if it wasn't available to the system.

I never had a problem with just the center screen either - though I do like the dash display in the SE.

What I don't miss is the indicator/turn signal stalk - I much prefer the SE's "old school" version.

10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Huh, that never registered in my mind. The Countryman really has strayed away from MINI's essence. But since I really want an electric MINI with more cargo space I'm going to seriously consider the (production) Aceman, if it's coming to North America.

SameGuy likes this.
  11. SameGuy

YUL
    via AutoCar

New 2024 Mini Aceman gears up to rival Kia Niro EV
    Chinese-built electric crossover evolves from outlandish concept to production-spec prototype

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

by Jonathan Bryce

3 October 2022

Mini is primed to launch the Aceman – its first new model name in 10 years – as a small electric crossover to fill the gap between the flagship Mini hatchback and Mini Countryman SUV.

Due on sale in 2024, the Mini Aceman is a clean-sheet design and the first in a series of EVs using Mini’s Spotlight platform, developed by BMWand Chinese partner Great Wall Motors.
    The electric version of the next Mini hatchback will also use this platform. The Aceman will arrive after the third-generation Countryman, which will grow significantly to become the biggest Mini yet, creating a more obvious gap in the line-up.

Precise dimensions for the Aceman haven't yet been revealed, but the concept shown earlier this year sits 1590mm above the ground, is 4050mm long and is 1990mm wide. As it shares its architecture with the forthcoming Mini hatch, it's a reasonable expectation that the Aceman will share its drivetrain options.

The hatch will come in entry-level Cooper trim, with 181bhp and a 40kWh battery, while the warmed-up Cooper S will get 221bhp and a 50kWh battery for a range of around 250 miles.

New spy photos show the Aceman wearing its final production bodywork, showing not just how it has evolved from the radical concept, but also giving clues as to how Mini’s design language will change as it moves onto the next generation of cars, beginning with the new Countryman and hatch in 2023.

Most noticeably, it's clear how aerodynamic efficiency will play a more defining role in Mini’s design language as it moves to an all-electric line-up, with the production-spec Aceman adopting a rounded, clean front end and a less upright stance than the concept - although the silhouette has been broadly carried over. In its positioning as the smallest five-door Mini model, the Aceman will in effect take over from today’s Mini Clubman estate, which isn't due to come back as an EV in Mini’s new-look product line-up, so expect similar levels of space front and rear - as well as comparable luggage capacity. Otherwise, camouflage obscures many of the key details - save for the distinctive large headlights shared with the new Mini hatchback. The firm’s two most recent concepts, the Aceman and minimalistic Strip, showcased just how far the brand will go in its pursuit of enhanced sustainability for its cars. The showroom-ready Aceman will follow suit, by and large shunning chrome and leather and adopting a clean, one-screen central display for control of most key functions.

Representing a bold departure from the current crop of Mini’s, the Aceman’s interior is dominated by a large central screen and a set of five toggle switches. Aside from these, buttons are almost entirely absent from the sustainable textile or leatherette-clad dashboard fascia.

Attached Files:

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I wonder if Great Wall Motor will change their name to make it easier for automotive writers to get it right?

upload_2022-10-3_22-11-14.png

14. Any forum members out there with good Photoshop skills?

15. SameGuy

YUL
    Maybe AutoCar UK has the scoop that we will get an all-wheel drive version of the next hatch, which will be equipped with two Great Wall motors…
    /rimshot

insightman likes this.
  16. SameGuy

YUL
    Reeeaaaally hoping that thing on top of the bonnet is a fake, and not representative of the real next-version skeuomorphic scoop. It’s aiming at the sky.

chcarter and insightman like this.
  17. SameGuy

YUL
    Uhhhh. Okaaay.

18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It looks like the fake, fake hood scoop I was babbling about in my rant yesterday.

19. SameGuy

YUL
    Yeah, but at least ours fakes “scooping.” That one appears to be “catching.”

20. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Just because there's a camouflage fake scoop ring slapped on the hood doesn't mean MINI won't decide to make the bonnet with one by production time. But it's weird, since the existing Countryman doesn't have a fake scoop (even the S version). Although the Clubman does. Very confusing. By the way, the headlight rings are clearly fake as well.

The Aceman looks promising, although it'll be a shame if the Clubman barn doors do disappear. Since I prefer the Clubman's extra length over my beloved SE, this is a vehicle I'm seriously interested in.

21. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
  22. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

For the US market wouldn't a Chinese built EV be DOA?

SameGuy likes this.
  23. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Due to tariffs?

Considering the average American's penchant for larger vehicles, the Aceman seems more likely to be sold here than the next-gen 2 door.